Foiled HKM B-25J Strafer - 345th BG Air Apaches - Lady LiL

Out2gtcha

Looking great, I also do the silver with a very heavy heavy wash on my radial cylinders.

The prop bosses look spectacular.

FYI the octopus ring (my best description even though it has 7 arms not 8, but I am sure you know what I mean) is actually the intake manifold and should be glossy black not exhaust weathered but not a big issue as they cannot be seen if the cowl is closed up.

looks great!

Ron

Thanks guys! Yeah Ron, I was experimenting on that and I think youre right, and Ill repaint black. I was initially just going to overcoat the rust with charcoal, but after looking at pics. I think im better off with black black -

Cheers

There is a restoration project going on at the moment here in Belgium on a B-25, which offers some cool photo possibilities. If ever someone wants this, I can do a walk-around style file for you guys, maybe it will help to get some details that are otherwise difficult to see?

Here are some snapshots of where they are at the moment...

Foto-KKZVBK4Y-D.jpg

Foto-PRHVHXF6-D.jpg

Foto-ZNNDIQ37-D.jpg

Thanks again for the nice words of encouragement fellas!

I think Im off on Rons correction here and paint the manifold parts gloss black at the same time I go to paint the valve covers.

Hopefully more progress and updates this weekend. Its supposed to be warm out on Saturday and there is plenty of yard work Ive been putting off for quite some time...................

Hopefully now that the engines are coming together I can proceed more on the cowl flaps, cowl flap vents and engine nacelles.

I think however the main next step Ive been delaying is to go ahead and re-scribe and re-rivet the wings, fuselage and engine nacelles while they are all separate, and much easier to scribe this way. Once that is complete I can actually glue on the vert & horiz stabilizers as well as the nacelles themselves since the main gear is already permanently installed.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Brian

Some fantastic work on the radials and props. Just am amazed at how well and realistic they look. Following your lead and Ron's, I will be giving the technique a workout on my Jugs radial in the next few weeks. If it comes out half as good, I'll be pleased as punch.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I think however the main next step Ive been delaying is to go ahead and re-scribe and re-rivet the wings, fuselage and engine nacelles while they are all separate, and much easier to scribe this way.

Why do they need rescribing Brian? (admitting I haven't looked at mine, I haven't even taken them out of the baggies)

Hey Ron..............I don't know why but I had trouble keeping the seems in the ULTRA flush posture that is needed for foiling............I kept squeezing the fuse in the wrong spot and small hair-line depression on the seem line..................I had to keep sanding away and adding Mr Surfacer 1000. I got there eventually but now the rivet lines and panel lines need to be replaced..................basically only on the seems I have sanded are of need to be replaced. Fortunately I have plenty of old school Dymo tape on hand!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Gotcha

I glued my wings together last night. This kit is well done but it does have minor flash in a lot of areas which is surprising for being a new mold. I made the mistake of sliding a wing onto a fuse side, very very tight and an absolute bugger to get the wing off again. I am still stumped on why they molded the intakes on each nacelle solid? It's extremely obvious and not an easy fix for many, easy to mess up mind you.

Hi Gotcha,

I've been following this build and I'm absolutely stunned with the quality of your work. Good stuff!

I do have a question for you and the other big time builders. When doing wiring, plumbing and cable runs, where do you find all these different gauge wires, solders and fine cables? I see a lot of guys that used stretched sprue, but when I try, it stinks! I'd love to get up to your guys standards of work.

Bill

I do have a question for you and the other big time builders. When doing wiring, plumbing and cable runs, where do you find all these different gauge wires, solders and fine cables? I see a lot of guys that used stretched sprue, but when I try, it stinks! I'd love to get up to your guys standards of work.

Bill

Hello Bill,

two sources for wire of different gauges :

1. electric stuff in DYI stores where you will find cables and fuse wires of different sizes

2. even better : the fly-tying corner of fishing shops - a gold mine for modellers.

Hubert

Stellar work on the engines and props Brian.

Its the old question on radials, black and drybrush silver or silver and black wash.

Having seen yours I'll go with you. :goodjob:

Awesomeness!

:clap2: :clap2: