Tamiya Spitfire XVIe is coming...

R Palimaka

Found this on one of the other sites, looks like Tamiya is ready to release the bubble-top XVI version of their 1/32 Spitfire. Looks like a couple of you were absolutely right in your predictions.

Tamiya Spitfire XVIe

Hope this isn't old news.

And before any of you get too excited, that's XVI not XIV. ;)

Cheers,

Richard

Found this on one of the other sites, looks like Tamiya is ready to release the bubble-top XVI version of their 1/32 Spitfire. Looks like a couple of you were absolutely right in your predictions.

Tamiya Spitfire XVIe

Hope this isn't old news.

And before any of you get too excited, that's XVI not XIV. ;)

Cheers,

Richard

I wonder if they have any plans to do a nice Mk1a to go with the others?

After that, they can get on and do a nice super duper Hawker Hurricane for us! :rolleyes:

Very nice. But since it is only a test shot, we apparently cannot make any conclusions until one has an actual kit in hand. Might be a Mk I, might be a MkXVIe, might be a Hurricane. Guess we'll see for sure once it is in hand... ;)

Cheers,

Doug

Im glad Tam decided to push their spit line. Im not sure how deep they will get but im interested to see.

Still don't have a Tamiya spit yet. Guess the release of their Mk IX was just a bit too much on the heels of my PCM/Radu Mk XIV that I built, as I'm not keen on building like models back to back. After getting to fondle the Mk IX at my buddies house im sure their XVI will be a beut as well.......If Tamiya does come out with a Mk XIV or a PR Mk XIX I may have to reconsider and snatch one up.

And since this kit is from/in a line of kit(s) that are proven winners by this time, hopefully the useless furver and attitude over any perceived in-accuracies the Mk XVI has will stay on other forums till someone has actually seen one, but I doubt we could be that lucky. I Think I'll leave those recommendations for change (if any) to the SMEs im sure Tamiya is working with on this release. IMHO, Tamiyas rep for accuracy is out of this world.

Or I may just save my money for the hopeful and atm looking like the eminent release of a Tam P-51

Brian

Worth considering, for U.K. modellers, is the price. The IX was 9800 yen, and, with 15% VAT, arrived at £100. The VIII was 11,000 yen, and with VAT increased to 17.5%, was £118. This kit's price is 12,000 yen, and, by the time it arrives, VAT will be at 20%, so anything less than £130 will be a surprise, I reckon.

Edgar

Very nice. But since it is only a test shot, we apparently cannot make any conclusions until one has an actual kit in hand.

Very wise words.

As we have seen before, early test shots can lead you up the wrong path.

As Brian says, I can't really see there being a problem if Tamiya continue with the quality of this line of Spitfires so they

should hopefully produce another winner.

Only problem as Edgar mentioned could be the initial price.

Phil ;)

Given Tamiya's reputation for accuracy and quality (as already proven with their recent Spitfire IX kit), I do not seriously doubt how good the Spitfire XVI is likely to be. If the rumers of a release of a P-51D from Tamiya is true, given the current level of detail and engineering, Tamiya have just raised the bar to stratospheric levels...Tamiya is obviousely making a very significant point to the rest of the world-wide modelling industry, most likely 'catch us if you can?' - They know their market well, who has the most deposable income, and who is likely to shell out for the 'top dog' in terms of model accuracy - essentially, people like us!

...Oh well, I may have to re-think about my idea of releasing a Spitfire bomb carrier strategy now?...:unsure:

Derek

They know their market well, who has the most disposable income, and who is likely to shell out for the 'top dog' in terms of model accuracy - essentially, people like us!

Well said Derek. Well said my friend. For me personally as I dont face any of those ugly UK VAT charges, these Tamiya 1/32 releases are well worth............well..............pretty much (within reason) whatever Tamiya wants to ask for them. IMHO :D

Given Tamiya's reputation for accuracy and quality (as already proven with their recent Spitfire IX kit), I do not seriously doubt how good the Spitfire XVI is likely to be. If the rumers of a release of a P-51D from Tamiya is true, given the current level of detail and engineering, Tamiya have just raised the bar to stratospheric levels...Tamiya is obviousely making a very significant point to the rest of the world-wide modeling industry, most likely 'catch us if you can?' -

Right again Derek.........Tamiya's rep for accuracy is second to none. A 1/32 release by Tamiya of this nature (P-51 included) will almost assuredly be a raging success. Even if I don't end up with a MkXVI, I may still end up with another Mk if Tam decides to expand the line (I hope!)

Brian

I have to say I'm a little confused. With what Tamiya did with the Mk IX and Mk VIII, does anybody really think their XVI will be inaccurate? The only thing I can think of is that the preserved aircraft they measured and examined for the kit might have restoration anomalies (or modern additions in the case of flying examples -- antennas, etc. ) But there are some very knowledgeable enthusiasts and modellers involved in the research, Bob Swaddling I think is one, and any mistakes would be minimal.

I have the PCM XVI kit, and that might still get built because it is still a wonderful model. I didn't think that Tamiya would move this quickly...but I will be getting one of their XVIs for certain. If only to help ensure that they produce a P-51D/Mustang IV! That would make them some serious money... like I'm sure this line of Sptifires is. I know I'm in for multiples of the Mustang, and if necessary I will thin my stash to reduce the guilt. ;)

Tamiya know what they are doing and as far as I can (without getting into trouble) I'll support them, because these Spitfire kits are magnificent. 1/32 scale is King right now, and stuff I never imagined being released is seeing the light of day. A Caudron C.714? Awesome. And yet, no Tempest...

Anyway, the Spitfire is finally getting it's due in 1/32 in a big way. It's been a long time coming.

Cheers,

Richard

I have to say I'm a little confused. With what Tamiya did with the Mk IX and Mk VIII, does anybody really think their XVI will be inaccurate?

Not I said the Dog.

I think Tamiya's rep is unmatched and as you said Richard, at the quality and pace they are moving they could really have some serious money makers on their hands here.

The only thing I can think of is that sporting attitude is more important to some than approaching things like an adult and using common sense. Either way, I think a continuation of Tams spit line and the addition of a P-51D would be as close as they could come to a license to print money.

Like Philly said, their only true roadblock to off the chart sales at this point may be the price point......especially for our LSP brethren across the pond.

Brian

err, where exactly is this Tamiya P-51 coming from?

as far as i can see, there has been NO evidence and no change in information etc from what we had 2 years ago

and 2 years ago we had nothing

:)

as to their Spit XVI, i'm sure it will be nice, as the mistakes they made with some 1/48 aircraft now seem a long way behind them