Tamiya Spitfire XVIe is coming...

R Palimaka

Guest Ta152H1

Yep...but it's like watching this : http://www.dukevideo.com/Cars/DVD/Sportscar-and-Le-Mans/Le-Mans/The-Jaguars-Roar-The-Story-of-the-1988-Le-Mans-24-Hours-DVD.aspx

IMO the feats of a few machines in a very limited time frame are not enough to justify such a choice and I bet that the XVI won't sell as well as the IX/VIII!It's understandable that they have to fully exploit molds that cost an arm and a leg though.

Tamiya's not new to debatable choices (I think the sold about 23 Leclerc French MBT from its release) but I'm confident that an earlier Mark is due to be released as soon as we may expect!

The "Sixteen" is sexier than the earlier Marks and that's a fact...but that's all IMO!

Yep...but it's like watching this : http://www.dukevideo...-Hours-DVD.aspx

IMO the feats of a few machines in a very limited time frame are not enough to justify such a choice and I bet that the XVI won't sell as well as the IX/VIII!It's understandable that they have to fully exploit molds that cost an arm and a leg though.

Tamiya's not new to debatable choices (I think the sold about 23 Leclerc French MBT from its release) but I'm confident that an earlier Mark is due to be released as soon as we may expect!

The "Sixteen" is sexier than the earlier Marks and that's a fact...but that's all IMO!

...Don't forget that there were a number of low back Mk.IX spitfires produced alongside the Mk.XVIs as well...

(It is very difficult to tell a low back Mk.IX Spitfire apart from a Mk.XVI at the best of times unless you have a clear view of the fuel tank filler position and aircraft serial number)

Derek

I am sure Edgar will chime in, but I thought that only under wing bomb carriers were used on the Mk XVI Spit.

There's a photo of a (high-back) XVI being loaded with 1x500 + 2x250, in "Operation Big Ben."

36 Squadrons flew the XVI; of those, 74 (March-,) 127 (Jan-Apr,) 603 (Jan-,)302 (Jan-,) 308 (Mar-,) 329 (Feb-,) 340 (Feb-,)341 (Feb-,) 349 (Feb-,) 403 (Jan-,) 416 (Jan-,) 421 (Jan-,) 443 (Jan-,) 451 (Jan-,)453 (Jan-,) 602 (Jan-,) 603 (Jan-) flew wartime sorties (not exactly a few machines,) but it's virtually impossible to say how many were low-back, though a very large proportion is probable. It's one of the reasons I keep a library; books can, so often, be better relied on than the net. :whistle:

One anomaly (about which I doubt that Tamiya will know) concerns the fuel tank behind the pilot; there were two mods, and I suspect that the wartime mod was for the high-back version, with the low-back not coming in until just post-war. The high-back version was a bit of a dog's breakfast, with the pilot's rear view severely restricted. Either way, both mods could only be fitted if the airframe was fitted with metal elevators, so, if Tamiya supply the built-in tank, a little judicious sanding, for the really pedantic, will be necessary.

Edgar

S/L Bill Harper flew the bubble canopy lowback Spit Mk XVIe with 421 RCAF Squadron. In the book, Spitfire, The Canadians vol 1, by the late Robert Bracken, Bill Harper describes his dive bombing accounts. He says he had a 500 pounder under the belly of his Spitfire Anyway, Harper stated he used his gun site as a bomb site, and starting at 10000 ft, would dive almost vertically, and they would release at 2000 ft during their pull out of the dive. His bubble top lowback serial TB886 coded AU-J, was the first Mk XVI lowback to arrive in 127 Wing in April 1945.

Here's a pic

Cheers

Brad

HarpersMkXVI.jpg

Guest Ta152H1

Like say...the TA152?

EXACTLY,even if it was a C-0...ora a Dora-11/13 or even a Dora 15!Only a handful of them saw action but their looks are killah while the Spit looks like a sad goose in comparison,with those stubby legs!Further...I'd rather build a slender yet brutal last-ditch German fighter than a ruptured flamingo. This is my opinion and if you happen to love Sir Reginald's masterpiece I'm glad for you :)!

Even the Komet's more fascinating even if to many it may look as if it had fallen down the ugly tree and hit all the branches on its way down!

I'd even go for a Horten 229 anytime if I had to chose between the latter or a late Mark Spit!

EXACTLY,even if it was a C-0...ora a Dora-11/13 or even a Dora 15!Only a handful of them saw action but their looks are killah while the Spit looks like a sad goose in comparison,with those stubby legs!Further...I'd rather build a slender yet brutal last-ditch German fighter than a ruptured flamingo. This is my opinion and if you happen to love Sir Reginald's masterpiece I'm glad for you :)!

Even the Komet's more fascinating even if to many it may look as if it had fallen down the ugly tree and hit all the branches on its way down!

I'd even go for a Horten 229 anytime if I had to chose between the latter or a late Mark Spit!

Have you got a fan club?

EXACTLY,even if it was a C-0...ora a Dora-11/13 or even a Dora 15!Only a handful of them saw action but their looks are killah while the Spit looks like a sad goose in comparison,with those stubby legs!Further...I'd rather build a slender yet brutal last-ditch German fighter than a ruptured flamingo. This is my opinion and if you happen to love Sir Reginald's masterpiece I'm glad for you !

Man... most guys here keep their fly all neatly done up, you just let it all hang out, eh buddy? :P :wacko:

I am happy to see each and every new tool 1:32 scale model that hits the market! :blush:

Guest Ta152H1

Couldn't pay me enough to join :ninja:

:m0152:

Brad

Apart from the fact that I seriously doubt you may have what it takes to join.....Couldn't pay ME enough to let YOU join :)!

Guest Ta152H1

Man... most guys here keep their fly all neatly done up, you just let it all hang out, eh buddy? :P :wacko:

I am happy to see each and every new tool 1:32 scale model that hits the market! :blush:

Yep...cannot keep my fly done up,no matter how hard I try! :P

So am I Alan,as long as they bagged Spits,Mossies,Lancs,Fortresses,Liberators,Mustangs and Thunderbolts and their pilots had Soldbucher in their Fliegerbluse pocket! :m0152:

Horrido!