Tamiya Spitfire XVIe is coming...

R Palimaka

as far as i can see, there has been NO evidence and no change in information etc from what we had 2 years ago

and 2 years ago we had nothing

Tamiya's Spitfire came out of the same information vacuum last year. So our conclusions are based on...solid wishful thinking. :blush:

Cheers,

Richard

How about trolley accs? ;)

Funny you should mention that Richard - This is something else I have in mind, although I must admit that I was only looking at it from a 1/24 scale point of view. Having said that, I do have something else in the future pipe line in 1/32 on a similar theme, so maybe I sohould look at an accucmulator trolley in 1/32 scale as well? (as usual, lack of reference is a major issue here!):unsure: .

Cheers

Derek

Derek hi,

Why would you cancel your ventral bomb carrier??

Have I missed something in the pics of the XVI??

If the carrier is not clearly visible in shots so far a see no reason to assume it will be included, especially as I have never seen a XVI equipped with one

if I am wrong, please post the pic as I would be interested in it as a future project provided it was pre VE Day.

All the pics I've seen of Spits with this carrier have been either Vs or IXs...

So Derek, what do you say - are we still on for the carrier?

Cheers

Nick

Derek,

I think trolley accs would be a good idea and a great seller. They were everywhere on airfields, and used by all sorts of aircraft. They would have much broader appeal than a particular piece of kit for one type of aircraft. I think people would be apt to buy more than one. I sound like a salesman!

As for references, I hear you on that one. There was a flurry of activity a while back here I think, with people sending in photos of preserved examples, but no drawings if I recall. Might be a matter of finding one or two examples and confirming details with photos. I wish I were able to use some of the graphics applications to help. That and the fact I would have to travel to the UK...not a bad idea actually.

I know you have many projects on the go, but I definitiely think trolley accs would be a winner (and now watch...Tamiya will include one in their Spitfire XVI kit!!!)

Cheers,

Richard

While I agree that Tamiyas Spitty is a jewel, I will point out that Wingnut wings has raised the bar all around: injection molding standards, instructions,reference,decals, and subject matter.

Derek, I'd like to see any allied airfield equipment!

Nick has a point, no real need to cancel your plans if you don't want to. Although there is a bomb under the wing on the photo of the Tamiya kit, after-market bomb carriers could be used on the other Spit kits that don't have the carriers. And I don't see a centre-line carrier in the photo, but with the angle of the shot that would be difficult.

All that being said, I would still rather have a trolley acc...but that's just me.

Richard

I see no reason to cancel it either, I doubt very much it will be included in the kit, I know the XVI was used in bombing missions, like Operation Big Ben, so there's all the more reason - I'll have to go the library again to see if it's carrying the ventral rack on any of the pics, plus the Trumpeter/Hobby Boss V will be out, probably, sometime next year, and this it seems will have a ventral bomb rack, but there will be those who will want a more accurate/detailed version.

How many of those predicting the release of a Mustang from Tamiya, predicted the XVI? Big fat zero.

Andy, Richard and Nick,

Thanks for the encouragement.

OK Guys...The Spitfire bomb carrier is still on then! (and so is the trolley acc' by the looks of it...at least, it will add some balance to the other item I have planned! ;) ).

Derek

Andy, Richard and Nick,

Thanks for the encouragement.

OK Guys...The Spitfire bomb carrier is still on then! (and so is the trolley acc' by the looks of it...at least, it will add some balance to the other item I have planned! ;) ).

Derek

cheers Derek, that's great news

out of interest do you think something like the bomb carrier will end up being a mixture of resin, some etch and maybe some more "solid" brass, or would it likely be totally resin?

just trying to get a glimpse into a master scratchbuilder's mind that's all!

:)

Nick

cheers Derek, that's great news

out of interest do you think something like the bomb carrier will end up being a mixture of resin, some etch and maybe some more "solid" brass, or would it likely be totally resin?

just trying to get a glimpse into a master scratchbuilder's mind that's all!

:)

Nick

Hi Nick,

My initial thoughts (and gut instinct/preference) is to go totally resin - I am not a great fan of PE parts generally speaking). However, there are some very fine filigree detail parts on the bomb carrier that may be better in PE metal, but I shall try to avoid this if I can?

HTH

Derek

I am sure Edgar will chime in, but I thought that only under wing bomb carriers were used on the Mk XVI Spit. On another note, I feel kind of sorry for Alley Cat, as they had a nice lowback e wing conversion out and now Tamiya announces a whole kit. Hope it doesn't hurt Alley Cat too much.

I would love to see airfield accessories in our scale, especially RAF equipment. (hint hint :))

Cheers

Brad

On another note, I feel kind of sorry for Alley Cat, as they had a nice lowback e wing conversion out and now Tamiya announces a whole kit. Hope it doesn't hurt Alley Cat too much.

It's a great shame and might well put them off producing any more Spitfire conversions - I was hoping for a XI... :crying:

Guest Ta152H1

I wonder how many of them have REALLY seen action before May 9th 1945!I have made a Gurgle search and after ten minutes I could count three...all recce missions!I think that an earlier Mark would have been a better choice than this!

Hope they'll treat us to a P-51 and even to a new-tool family of 190s!

Cheers

Lou