Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Tomcat

Talon

Started this one back in 2002 and it's languished for a looooonnnng time. Decided I no longer want to do the NSAWC blue splinter jet, so I've stripped paint off, acquired and scratchbuilt some replacement parts and bought a set of Aires GE F-110 nozzles to do a conversion to an early F-14B.

Aircraft has already been fully rescribed and had multiple scratchbuilt details added to bring it up to date for an F-14B

Here is what it used to look like when it was nearing completion in its previous guise:DSC00045.JPG
DSC00046.JPGDSC00048.JPG

Dsc00057.jpg

DSC00050.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00056.JPG

Previous WIP pics

nsawcf-14.jpg

nsawctail.jpg

NSAWC.JPG

Will get some updated pics soon.

Edited by Talon

Some work on the stores for the revised configuration
Scratchbuilt LAU-10 and LAU-68. Still need to add the connector details and rockets to the tubes on the LAU-10DSC06450.JPG

TALD corrected and modified from the Trumpeter Super Hornet and TER with added details taken from the Tamiya F-4J "Marines"
DSC06451.JPG

Starboard shoulder pylon with modified LANTIRN pylon to take the TER and added detail to the AIM-9 railDSC06452.JPG

Edited by Talon

That is really looking great! Hey don't sweat it, at least the paint had time to cure! Can't wait to see it finished and great job on cockpit and paintwork.

The tail reinforcing stiffner plates can now be bought as aftermarket. I do not remember who makes them but I did see them on Sprue Brothers and Hannants websites.

That is really looking great! Hey don't sweat it, at least the paint had time to cure! Can't wait to see it finished and great job on cockpit and paintwork.

The tail reinforcing stiffner plates can now be bought as aftermarket. I do not remember who makes them but I did see them on Sprue Brothers and Hannants websites.

Ditto on your work....good stuff!! I think the plates are made by Crossdelta?

• 4 years later...

Just noticed the earlier images were missing. Managed to find and restore the images.

Not gotten around to new pics yet. Must remedy that. Jet still underway, but currently have the OA-4M on the bench.

Aircraft will be finished as the Tomato Jet from VF-101

03_2013-09-27.jpg

Edited by Talon

Got the new rims and tyres cleaned up and painted. Little light weathering, but good enough for now. Compare to earlier rims to see the difference.

1_2015-01-17.jpg

DSC00052.JPG

GBU-24 with paint underway (taken from the Academy F/A-18 Hornet). Compared to pics of the real thing it's not too bad.

2_2015-01-17.jpg

e.jpg

Current state of play with weapons (GBU-16 is from the Tamiya F-16). Sidewinders and Sparrow are in the box, but have no paint on as yet. I added the thermal coating to the GBUs using Mr Surfacer brushed on and then stippled with a flat brush as it dried. A couple of applications gives a very good texture, which was knocked back a little with some 3M Scotchbrite.

3_2015-01-17.jpg

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...