Bf109K-4, I./KG (J)6, Bohemia, May 1945

That canopy really is a masterpiece Mark!

Wouldn't worry about double posts, can happen to any of us sometimes!

Looking forward to seeing more of your superb work.

Phil :P

You funny guy...................:P

You funny guy...................:)

Thank you very much, you funny guys.

Well, I think I can call this canopy finished for now, which will now allow me to move on to the one for the Hartmann build.

DSCN5344.jpg

To make the front strip, I glued the unit onto a piece of .005 sheet. Then I taped down a thick 1mm wide strip on each of the sides and scored until it fell off. Then I finished it with sanding.

DSCN5345.jpg

You may notice a graphite centerline running down the side of this top framing piece. It is more clearly seen in the previous image. I cut the rod, gave it a little bend at 15mm or so (roughly half-way) so it would lie flat, diagonally trimmed the other end, taped some tape down tacky side up, put it on the tacky side, and ran a mechanical pencil over the rod. This gave me my centerline. Then I measured the fastener openings, center-punched them with the point of an X-Acto blade, drilled a starter hole, then finished it off with an .015 hole, I think.

DSCN5346.jpg

To make the back rod flexible I cut a 50mm piece, found the center, measured 10mm toward each end, and curved and bent the center section until it was flexible enough to locate easily then glued it in place until I reached the curved aspect that connects to the side rails. Once the rear had set, I did the same 'annealing' action for the small curve with a tweezer, trimmed it then glued it in place. I ran a mechanical pencil along the edge to find the center-line, then repeated the process of locating the fastener holes.

DSCN5347.jpg

I drilled a hole in the far armored headrest frame base. That is where the retaining wire connects to the canopy.

I taped the canopy to the Wild Sau 109 and took some images of that situation. They are below.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

DSCN5348.jpg

Overall view.

DSCN5354.jpg

Head shot. I taped the front canopy piece in place to see what the situation would look like.

DSCN5349.jpg

Front angle shot.

DSCN5350.jpg

From the side. Oops! The tape to the headrest came unstuck.

DSCN5351.jpg

Back angle shot. Dang! Those control columns are just the bane of me!

DSCN5353.jpg

From the back.

Thanks for looking.

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark

Excellent stuff!

That's a pretty comprehensive treatment of the canopy.

Is the Squadron canopy designed for the Hasegawa kit(s)? They'd be useful for replacing all the incorrect canopies on the G-10/K-4 kits (too wide and flat at top rear, to suite the incorrect spine shape).

Matt

Guest Vincent

Hi

Very nice work on the 109. I noticed that you installed the control column upside down. Is it too late to correct ?

V