Huey Helicopter/ ITS DONE/FINISHED YEEEAAAHHH!!!!

shark64

Just a suggestion - going back to the reference photo, there is an aluminium frame riveted around the windshield.

So maybe you could use aluminium foil/sheet to make a new frame around the transparent parts, big enough to cover the gap?

\

Hi Max.

I thought about making a new frame but after careful review of the whole frame and the windshield the problem is in the windshield being too small.

My plan is to try adding the styrene strips first then if that doesnt work I will try my luck at vaccuform. My last resort will be to redo the whole frame and windshield together....it might be a big job too.

Will post soon.

Thanks again for the input.

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

It looks as though you've got a battle on your hands with that windshield.

As I studied your photos I wondered how difficult it would be to cut and shape a single piece of acetate to fit the opening?

My idea was to create a template from card or paper then transpose that onto a sheet of acetate (from some sort of (food?) packaging). Tacking the acetate lightly at regular intervals along the edge of the framework might help to give the correct curvature as long as the initial outline shape is correct.

Might it be possible to trim the acetate to replace the windshield and then add the centre spar from plasticard or thin brass?

Failing that, how difficult would it be to replace the whole windshield including the framing with a single piece of acetate and then add the framework back afterwards using thin plastic sheet, metal foil or thin brass strips?

If you cut out the whole frame then replace it with clear acetate, any tiny discrepancies or seams around the opening could be covered by replacing the framing on top of the clear film.......in theory

I'm eager to see how your solution turns out. After all of the brilliance you've shown so far I'm confident you'll get over this hurdle :piliot:

:ph34r:

Hi Oliver,

It looks as though you've got a battle on your hands with that windshield.

As I studied your photos I wondered how difficult it would be to cut and shape a single piece of acetate to fit the opening?

My idea was to create a template from card or paper then transpose that onto a sheet of acetate (from some sort of (food?) packaging). Tacking the acetate lightly at regular intervals along the edge of the framework might help to give the correct curvature as long as the initial outline shape is correct.

Might it be possible to trim the acetate to replace the windshield and then add the centre spar from plasticard or thin brass?

Failing that, how difficult would it be to replace the whole windshield including the framing with a single piece of acetate and then add the framework back afterwards using thin plastic sheet, metal foil or thin brass strips?

If you cut out the whole frame then replace it with clear acetate, any tiny discrepancies or seams around the opening could be covered by replacing the framing on top of the clear film.......in theory

I'm eager to see how your solution turns out. After all of the brilliance you've shown so far I'm confident you'll get over this hurdle :bow:

:piliot:

Hi

Thanks so much for your reply and input.

I did try acetate cut a little bigger than the windshield. It kind of worked however acetate being so thin it was an issue to get the curvature right....I passed on that idea as of right now.

I worked on the kit winshield yesterday, It was futured. the next step is to install it then add the strips of styrene and the middle frame and putty the connection between the two plastic parts.....if that doesnt work I will try vaccuform or remaking a new frame with an acetate sheet in the back as you mentioned.

Thanks again

Oliver

Well there you go, thats fixed then! :clap2:

Oliver, superb save on the windscreen, looks really good as usual.

I hope the other "windows" give you less trouble.

Lovely work as always.

Phil :)

Well there you go, thats fixed then! :clap2:

Oliver, superb save on the windscreen, looks really good as usual.

I hope the other "windows" give you less trouble.

Lovely work as always.

Phil :)

2nded!

Cheers,

Brian

Oliver, thanks for a clean, systematic approach to fixing that problem! I'm stalled out right now, but it's always good to see work like this, it sort of keeps me in the game mentally.

Lovely work Oliver, and a great save. One thing I don't quite understand though. Did you use the kit windscreen in the end, or fabricate a new one?

Kev

Hi Kev.

I kept the kit windshield but I had fabricated one out of clear styren as well....just in case.

OLiver

Oliver, thanks for a clean, systematic approach to fixing that problem! I'm stalled out right now, but it's always good to see work like this, it sort of keeps me in the game mentally.

Hi Mike.

I can relate about stalling....plenty of that here too.

I usually go back to modeling books when I am stuck...

Thanks for the kind words.

OLiver