1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

Still undecided re. taking to Telford - she'll take up a lot of space (in car - and on tables)...

Really important thing is that I can now see the wood for the trees and getting finished at some point - and maybe even in the next year - a bit of filling and fettling to do and we're onto the fun stuff - detailing et al.

Most of the surface detailing will be with lapped panels - so masking tape and filler primer I've used elsewhere - followed by lots and lots of rivets to be punched using my MDC Rivet embossing tool (perhaps with a beer handy).

Iain

Don't know about that Dean (I never go over 40 :innocent: :whistle: ), but there's definitely been a shift in the Connie's time/space continuum in the last month.

Funny thing is - she's been sat on the coffee table last few days (I have a very understanding family!) and I keep just sitting and staring at it - there's definitely a Connie in there and it has an awful lot of presence in 1:32!!

Iain

If I were attending you'd just have to ensure I fainted in a direction away from the model! I can't imagine a 1/32 Connie on my bench and seeing yours in the flesh - no matter how rough and ready - would be a true highlight of the event for me.

All the best for the show and I hope it leaves you energised to finish her!

She's a big beast Iain and looked fabulous on your stand at Telford. You've really captured the look nicely and seeing her in this natural state shows just how much work is required to attain such a high quality finish. Keep at it, she'll be a beauty and will look magnificent next to Tom's Shack' at some time in the future.

Cheers

Hi all, thanks for messages  :)

She seemed to go down well at Telford - and sparked a lot of interesting conversations, including with Mirek at HpH who's still planning a 1:32 Constellation in the future - in civil airliner guise.

Cees - no problem - you're on the 'highly trusted' list!  :) Sorry I didn't get more time to pop over and chat with you and Jeroen.

Maru - Cameron was literally the child in a sweet shop *all* weekend and had a whale of a time. Once again he had permission from the competition secretary to join us whilst we judged - he has the important job of 'scribe' - writing down the numbers/results for the classes that John "Tigger" Wilkes and myself judge - so he gets to see the competition entries up close. He came back with far more than I did - and a special mention in dispatches has to go out to Rich Carrick for the four 1:48th Tiger Tanks!

Guy - was great to see Tom's Shack up close and personal - and, yes, we were thinking that it would be nice to display them together - as two Cold War AEW icons - at some point in the future. Always good to chat to Tom - I really like his 'can do' attitude to modelling...

Where do we go from here on the project?

Well - I have some other projects I really have to crack on with now (commissions and mag articles) - so Connie will get put to one side over the next month. To be fair - I'm looking forward to having a break from sanding dust!

Over Christmas I'll finish the fuselage shaping and add the nacelles.

Then - get back to drawing up some etch in CorelDRAW. The bulkhead detail on Peter's Firefly project has inspired me to draw up interiors for the gear bays, flap housings and, possibly, flaps themselves for photo-etching - and Peter, being the really lovely guy he is, has offered to vet the artwork prior to it going to the etchers (I have 25 odd years experience with CorelDRAW - but I've never had anything etched and want to ensure what I get done isn't a failure because there was something wrong with the output).

Plan after that is to try and draw up the cowling panels in Rhino (or similar) for printing - and Tim Perry has already given me a lot of help, training and advice in this area...

But she is, as so many said over the weekend, looking like a Connie now - at looooooooooooooong last!  :)

As Oddball would say - so many positive waves...

*woof*

Iain

Handley Page's finest next, pretty please. ( of course, by all means finish Connie first :m0152: ). I am so frustrated at missing Telford (for the 3rd year running) again. Especially as you had taken Connie with you. Hopefully I will make it next year and see the finished master piece first hand and maybe convince you to cut plastic on my all time favorite, truly iconic, quintessentially British, the true Queen of all things aviation, the one, the only, Victor K2 (or B2).

Have I over sold it :oops:  :mental:  :innocent: .

Bob