Zoukei Mura - AD-6 Skyraider Rebox

Jan_G

47 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

This is even simpler as I think the decals had already been released by ZM as a separate aftermarket set. So, except the very nice box art I'm not sure there is anything new...

I knew they released some GSB decals originally, the kit description says there are 4 options if I read right, so am wondering if there is anything new and different from the original options.  I have always thought this a nice kit and been interested in building one but never have got around to it.  In theory later in the year I will be able to get one of these at a hobby show, at a significant cash discount som might do so.  

You guys are over thinking this a bit.  Single seat Spads all look pretty much the same except for the weapons pylons.  Actual configuration changes were few and far between with upgrades being mostly inside where they could not be seen.  No idea when they started flying the things, but the AD-6 is an upgraded AD-4B - the one that was strengthened and modded a bit to carry a nuke.  AD-4s did all the heavy lifting during the Korean mess; AD-6s came later as a result.  I will check my dad’s cruise book, but I’m pretty sure the AERO racks on the wings are post-Korea and the large, pointy pylons next to the gear did not appear until the AD-5 hit the scene.  A good rule of thumb is that if it is painted blue, it did not carry the more “modern looking” racks.  Having said all that, there were several different versions of the -4.  Some were single seaters, some had two guys in the aft fuselage with doors and windows, some had one guy, some had winter/de-icer gear and leading edge boots, some had radar pods but some did not, some had all the above.  The list goes on and on.  And then there was the -4W.  I guess what I’m saying is that you can build an AD-4, an AD-6 or an AD-7 out of any of the extant Spad kits and it will look like what it is supposed to as long as you know which version you are building and are willing to scratch some parts.  A Spad is a Spad is a Spad; the devil is in the details.  Whatever you do, do not paint your model blue then put late pylons and high speed tanks on it and claim it’s a -4 from Korea.  Just don’t.

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

I'm not buying it unless it's "Molded in Color".

Tony

Matchbox was way ahead of their time.    All the parts came in the proper color.   Can you image that?   Amazing concept.... 

15 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

A Spad is a Spad is a Spad; the devil is in the details

Haha , everybody knows that a Skyraider with all the 60-70s trappings never wore Glossy Sea blue.
Even Trumpeter knew it. Why can’t Zoukei-Moura?

Well, according to the references I have[ Ginter number 98], the -6s first entered service ~ Sept. 1953 with the last one entering service ~Aug. '56. So they started out wearing GSB and the very last ones coming off the production line had the Grey over white with the rest being changed over depending on where the were in the maint/ overhaul schedule. I found the answer to my previous question about the beacon , it was a late mod retro fitted to older aircraft. It looks to me that Z-M got it right[ for a certain time frame]. I fully agree with Old Bald Guy's observation , he's right on point[ according to my references] 

So, I'm thinking about preordering this to take advantage of the price break. I've never preordered anything from Z-M so perhaps some insight from those who have. Anything to be on the look out for ? I'm guessing it starts 3 May.

Just now, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

So, I'm thinking about preordering this to take advantage of the price break. I've never preordered anything from Z-M so perhaps some insight from those who have. Anything to be on the look out for ? I'm guessing it starts 3 May.

Make sure you have a handle on the shipping costs.

6 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Make sure you have a handle on the shipping costs.

Gotcha ! Shipping has been ridiculous lately. Can I know what the shipping will be BEFORE I do the preorder or will be "a pig in a poke"?

Here is a AD-4 with the AERO pylons on the wings, although the stub pylon is still the smaller one:

2560px-AD-4_bomb_loading_1952.jpeg

The caption:

Ordnancemen fixing bombs on the racks of a U.S. Navy Douglas AD-4 Skyraider during the Korean War on 25 November 1952. The aircraft belonged to attack squadron VA-75 Sunday Punchers of Carrier Air Group Seven (CVG-7) aboard the aircraft carrier USS Bon Homme Richard (CVA-31), which was deployed to Korea from 20 May 1952 to 8 January 1953.

Jari

On 4/27/2024 at 3:56 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Dave Williams pointed out, watch for shipping, however if you are in the U.S. Volks USA, their U.S. outlet usually offers the same deal so wait for Voks USA to post it.  I probably will not order as I will get one cash at a hobby show eventually, is my icnlination.  

Posted (edited)

Looks pretty much like their aftermarket sheet in a new box then... unless the white/grey schemes are new, but I would not be surprised if they are the same VA-176 as the base boxing. (Like the A-1J)

A loooong time ago I backdated an Hasegawa 1/72 model to an AD-4... had to scratch-build the inner pylons. Chose an AD-4 as they were the most common seen with the AERO pylons and some still appeared to have only the 2 guns, and the lower rudder is the same. I did sand off all the armour as well (a rotten job as I remember on that hard Hasegawa plastic!)

koenad4a.jpg

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S