My New Venture - KLP Publishing

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

Some of you will already be aware that I've just launched my own eBook publishing business, called KLP Publishing. The focus, of course, is scale aircraft modelling! The books will be in digital format only, and I currently have several in various stages of planning and development. The first book is almost ready, and features our own Eric G's terrific build of Brick's Sabre:

Sabre-Cover-600x784.jpg

No concrete ETA at this stage, but when it's ready, I'll announce it here in the Vendors Board. There are also two other places you can keep track of not only this project, but others coming down the pipe. The first is my new website:

KLP Publishing website

There's not a whole lot to see there just yet, but the site is fully secure and has a shop for making purchases. You can create an account there now, but guest purchasing will also be supported. I'm also planning to make them available via Apple's iBooks store, and Amazon's store for the Kindle, too.

In addition to that, I've also set up a new Facebook business page:

KLP Publishing Facebook page

I'll be using this for news and informational purposes, so if you're already on Facebook, drop in and click the "like" button!

Everything is still in its formative stages, and I've still got a lot of work to do to get the first book out, but I hope you'll like it when it's ready.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have if I can, and I'd love to hear any thoughts and feedback you might have.

Kev

As said, good luck with it Kev.

Will this be the type of e-Book where modellers will submit model builds, or will it be just the three of you doing the work? Either way, Looking forward to it.

Thanks, Radders. Good question! Eventually I plan to have 3 book series in play: a "Build" series, a "Technique" series, and a "Build Special" series. Eric's book on Brick's Sabre will be the first of the Build Special series.

For the Build series, I'd like to focus on less mainstream kits and subjects - so, lots of resin kits, short-run kits, and esoteric subjects. This series will effectively consist of build guides.

The difference with the Build Special series is that the builds take things one step further in some way. For example, Eric's Sabre book includes Brick's bio, and many of the anecdotes that so enthralled us in the forums. It's as much a tribute to Brick as it is about how to build the Italeri Sabre, just as it says on the cover. While I don't have any more of this series planned yet, suitable topics would cover major conversions, kit-bashing, scratch-builds, and anything that goes beyond a straightforward kit build with a sprinkling of aftermarket.

The Technique series seems self-explanatory, but my aim is to take small elements of they hobby that many of us struggle with, and provide detailed guides and solutions that are as comprehensive as possible, and cover every practical angle and approach. I'm currently negotiating with one of our very own for the first title in this series.

In each case, I'm hoping to work with a variety of world-class modellers whose builds either offer something a little different from the norm, or represent the very highest level of it. I do plan to contribute the odd build myself, but I'd prefer to publish the work of my betters. That said, I'm open to suggestions and proposals, so get in touch if you have any ideas.

Kev

All the best and good luck with this! Publishing has changed dramatically since I was involved, and now seems easier and more difficult at the same time. Wishing you success!

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I have some limited experience in the field, but that was many years ago, and it's really mostly pretty new to me. Sticking with digital means that I can at least play to my strengths. I haven't completely ruled out doing something in print some day, but that's an order of magnitude more difficult and expensive than what I'm attempting at the moment.

Kev