B-17G, Detail additions, Corrections and Backdating build.

Guest Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Hello everyone,

Here is my new thread on the build of the B-17G from HK models. I have already started threads on the Accuracy, Backdating and aftermarket parts available and have been putting up some build info with pics in those threads. Things have gotten a little messy with bits and bobs all over the place so I've decided to start this new thread which will cover just the building aspect, and to show you all what I'm up to.

Hopefully the mods I'm doing will enthuse some new members into having a go at some of them themselves?

I'm going to go back over the work done already, just to set the stage, so if you are seeing stuff you've already covered, skip through, we'll catch up at some point.....

So, here goes. We have all discussed the difficulty in modelling an accurate War bird if you want to keep the staggered waist guns and not have a NMF scheme. I have decided to build Little Miss Mischief, which is the famous Fort, built out of 13 different aircraft, most recognisable by the two tone scheme of NMF front and OD aft fuselage sections. This Aircraft has the Cheyenne turret as supplied in the kit, but has the non-staggered waist windows, so I need to convert my model.

Here's how I did it...

As many will be aware, I want to build my B-17G as Little Miss Mischief, which entails some backdating work. Probably the biggest surgical operation is converting the HK models Staggered waist gun arrangement into the older non-staggered guns type.

I have had a good look over this area of the kit and decided that rather than try to cut the exact window hole out of the fuselage, I would cut out a section of the fuselage and the window surround then graft the cut plastic back into the fuselage side. The window aperture is not quite square and is perpendicular to the fuselage split line. I decided trying to achieve all these features accurately would be very difficult indeed.

There will be much re-scribing and re-riveting to be done as the staggered windows used different panels than the non-staggered versions.

The moulded in ribs inside the fuselage are identical side to side, so I am using these as a reference to ensure the window is correctly positioned.

Here we can see the fuselage marked up for cutting...

Waistgunwindow.jpg

It is quite nerve racking cutting the whole side of the fuselage out of a £250 kit, but hey, it's gotta be done!!

Here we go....

Waistgunwindow2.jpg

Now, you're probably thinking,  "Why not just turn the cut out piece 180 degrees"  Well, this is not possible as the window would not be perpendicular to the split line and the clear part will not fit correctly upside down.

Just to give you an idea of how it's gonna look, here's a pic of the piece slotted into the hole, but as I say, this is not a permanent fix, it's just to show you why I've done this to my beautiful HK B-17G. :mental:  :frantic:

Waistgunwindow1.jpg

The ribbing on the inside is what I've used to make my cuts. Note the window falls perfectly between two vertical ribs and the top and bottom align with two horizontal ribs. After all the gluing is done and set, the ribbing will be removed.

Waistgunwindow3.jpg

Here are the panels placed in position. Note the white strip used to take up the gap left from the saw cuts and clean up, and the 1.75mm strip at the base of the window to lift it into the correct position. The forward position has a larger diameter so the window is moved down to keep it centred vertically. I've moved it back, so it needs to go up. The radius of the panels also needs tweaking due to the differences in fuselage diameter.

Waistgunwindow4.jpg

Now I need to decide how I'm going to glue the panels in??

So, it's all done now..

Waistgunwindow6.jpg

I glued the panels in with superglue from the front to tack the panels and fill the gaps. I then ran a heavy coat of extra thin on the back of the panels.

Here's a picture taken along the fuselage after polishing. This is how I check all is straight..

Waistgunwindow7.jpg

If you can build a nice model aeroplane, go on, give this a go, it really does open up your options on camouflage and decals.

Thanks for looking in. any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by LSP_Kevin

Just caught up with this brilliant thread. Very cool. I got this kit a few days ago and was quite impressed with the surface detail. Nicely understated. I will have to review the thread about the aftermarket,etc.

I am told a different tail gun position would be welcomed?

J

Matt,

I don't think you really NEED to do the work, I just get bored easily!! this would make a beautiful model OOB, but I do feel the nose shape issue should be sorted as a minimum. The Mustang is on her stand waiting for the glue to dry before I deal with the seams.. :innocent:  :innocent:  :innocent:

Thanks for the update. I was enjoying that one.

The B-17 looks like a nice kit, I just don't have the space available for one.  But I'm sure a fully corrected/detailed build will really stand out once it's done.

Matt  :frantic:

I'm going to enjoy this one also.  This is what you call true scale modeling and not just kit building.  That's what differentiates a good builder from a great builder.  I remember how I used to complain about a kit with less than accurate surfaces or parts.  The truly great builder catalogs those inaccuracies, figures out how to correct them and then does the mods.  Said builder considers the mods as just a normal part of the building process rather than considering the necessary work as more on an inconvenience than part of the hobby.  I've still got to get my own attitude straightened out.