Will Revell P-51 wings fit Tamiya kit?

I'm wondering if anyone has checked this out. If the Revell wings will fit the Tamiya model that might just solve the "problem" of the non-smooth wings on the Tamiya kit. :coolio:

Edited by Guest

Quiet a bit Jennings.We have needed "new" wings for the Tamiya kits for a long time. Some things that come to mind for using the Tamiya fuselage is it has the option of the tail with or without fillet, a better detailed cockpit, clear parts that are MUCH better (no distortion), and a complete engine that can be displayed.

I concur....there is a lot of detail missing on the Revell..upper cowl fasteners to mentiion one..and my Revell clear parts are badly distorted..got my hands on a set of Tam.crystal  clear windscreen and canopy that will be used along with a filet tail that wasn't used in a Tam. build...both going into the Revell.(almost fit perfectly)   Love the wing,don't know what the big deal about the flaps is ,took about 5 min. to fix the sink marks.

BUT....You can't complain about the price.  haven't tried fitting the Revell wings though.

Edited by williamj

John,

I just did a bit of measuring from my built Tamiya P-51D and the Revell top wing from the build I am currently undergoing. I would say the fit is VERY VERY close.  I measured at the front of the fuselage/wing joint, a middle point and at the rear.  The lines look identical from a visual perspective.  A more detailed look and measurements are warranted however.

You would have to do some surgery on the Revell wing to allow the bottom of the cockpit to fit perfectly (esp since the Tamiya cockpit doesn't have the pass through from the top of the wing into the cockpit) but that seems like a very minor issue to address.

So from a top-opening perspective, it looks like it might actually work  I have NOT looked at the underside (radiator scoop, etc) to see how all of that nonsense would fit...

Chris

Guest Clunkmeister

It'd be nice to be able to build the Tamiya kit without all the internal BS.

The Revell wings would be a HUGE help to the Tamiya kit. If it works.

Flap problem or no, those absolutely stunning AMUR Reaver flaps deserve to be seen on every single Mustang I build from this moment on.

Agreed Ernie. :)

It'd be nice to be able to build the Tamiya kit without all the internal BS.

The Revell wings would be a HUGE help to the Tamiya kit. If it works.

Flap problem or no, those absolutely stunning AMUR Reaver flaps deserve to be seen on every single Mustang I build from this moment on.

I actually have two sets of the AMUR flaps on order as we speak....

Well the Revell kit is certainly cheap enough to buy one and rob the wings from it...

I'll be amazed beyond words if they come close to fitting.

Revell tail planes fit very well into the Tamiya housing...I swear its genetically related.

Check this out.  I pulled the fuselage out of a Tamiya kit and laid it on top of the Revell wing.  There needs to be some cutting of the Tamiya fuselage, but I'd bet John B's next build that it would fit without a whole lot of effort...

From the top:

5PViHn.jpg

It is hard to show in these pictures, but the lines of the fuselage and the wing track very closely.  I didn't see anywhere they didn't match except at the very front where the wing pinches in.

TuBdfw.jpg

toKETy.jpg

FxOJMf.jpg

Now none of this is definitive, but I will tell you that if I had the Tamiya kit further along, I would give it a try as my Tamiya build is slated to be Dutchess Arlene and not having to fill in the wings would be a nice benefit.

John:  Hope this helps, good luck if you give it a go and I'll be watching very closely!

Chris

The upper and lower part wing planforms are very close

to being a perfect match. The difference is in their attachment

configuration. It looks to me like the substitution would be

pretty simple.

The gear leg attachments will have to be modified because the

attachment pegs are 90 degrees off from each other.

The irony , Tamiya gets lots of requests for replacement canopies

and Revell gets lots of requests for entire wing assemblies.  :rolleyes:

I think there is more involved that just the upper and lower wing halves fitting the Tamiya fuselage. You'll also have to deal with things like the wheel wells, wing spar, the radiator inlet, as well as dealing with the fit of the Revell wing LE inserts. Seems like a lot just to avoid having to fill rivets on the Tamiya wing.

I understand this is about the desire to reduce the excess riveting in the Tamiya kit.  Last one I built, I filled the rivets but it was slow and painstaking.  i used tamiya filler and gunze filler.  The problem is those won't thin well without solve based thinner that might damage the plastic.  

My thought would be to try something like valejo filler that is acrylic based.  Then thin it so that it will spread evenly across the wing and perhaps in layers.  It might need a coat of primer first.  Build up the layers until the riveting is gone.  Give it another coat of primer to seal it in and hopefully it is good to go.  Maybe a little sanding but not a lot.  

I have looked at the Revell kit.  Personally I would not build it, for me the Tamiya kit nailed it and the wings can be filed.  I have built two Tamiya Mustangs and would build another eventually.  I don't think it is the greatest Tamiya kit, I still give that to the Spitfire IX.  I just believe that the Spitfire IX's engine assembly is the most important parts assembly in scale modeling from a standpoint of design and innovation.  I consider the Spitfire a revolutionary step foreword in scale modeling that makes it the most important Model Airplane of our time.  

The Tamiya Mustang though is just about my favorite all time Tamiya kit.  

But....

Why would you swap the wings? Surely it is not a big deal to fill the Tammy wing? I have no real interest and no axe to grind, I am just curious as to why you would bother?