Another Mossie flies again after 70 years.

Paddling a KW 7 kayak on the River Dee above Chester, England, one evening in Spring 1969, I was startled when a Mosquito flew low over the river. I didn't capsize, but it was close!

That beautiful aircraft was an unforgettable sight, sound and surprise. Years later I learned my pal, Keith 'Kipper' Davies, was aboard the Mosquito that evening. Kipper was an instrument technician based at Hawarden. He had volunteered his services for the Mosquito in return for some flights.

Wonderful to see another Mosquito take to the air.

45 minutes ago, Troy Molitor said:

This is the fourth one they have built.   What an accomplishment.  Love the sound and looks of the Mossie in flight.  

Built is right. There can't have been much of the wooden components of the original airframe they were able to use. Inevitable with wooden aircraft, I suppose. That's why there are no original LaGG-3s nor La-5s around, flying or otherwise. Still nice to see a rebuilt Mosquito flying, no matter how much of it is original.

Regards,

Jason

3 hours ago, Learstang said:

Built is right. There can't have been much of the wooden components of the original airframe they were able to use. Inevitable with wooden aircraft, I suppose. That's why there are no original LaGG-3s nor La-5s around, flying or otherwise. Still nice to see a rebuilt Mosquito flying, no matter how much of it is original.

Regards,

Jason

I noticed the one piece wing chopped up at the fuselage level! Glue won’t fix that!

But I think having all the metal hardware is the important thing for a rebuild. All the wood is new, of course.

Alain

With two more builds scheduled, might there be seven airworthy Mosquitos worldwide in the near future?

Could Tony Agar's taxiable Mosquito HJ 711, based at East Kirkby, Lincolnshire, become airworthy via current wooden airframe recreation technology, or would HJ 711 become a parts donor for a different aircraft?

Steve Hinton and one or 4 flying Mossies.  He mentions where he first saw it back in the '60s

at "Whiteman airport" , it was actually Whiteman Air Park (San Fernando Calif) where my Dad

and I used to hang out when I was a kid. This a/c used to sit with it's tail backed up to one of

the fences next to 2 B-25s.  Of course my Dad told me to stay away from them but also 'of course"

I couldn't resist. There was a wooden box next to the fence so I drug it over beneath the cockpit

door and hoisted myself up and into the cockpit (Dad was off talking to his friends)  I remember

the canopy glass was quite yellow and filled with minute cracks.  I also thot it was rather cramped

even for an 8 year old like me. They moved it some years later and somebody vandalized it by

taking a chain saw to the mid fuselage. They did and amazing restoration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5P77VrRmaA

Edited by MikeMaben