1/32 US WWII cockpit lights

jwest21

2 hours ago, BiggTim said:

You mean lights that work? I'm not sure of any.

Tim

No, not that kind of light.  I mean replicas of the map lights that are in most WWII cockpits.  I don't need them to work, just to add to a build.  I can probably scratch one, but I wanted to see if there was a better detailed option.

Grain of wheat bulbs and some wire and so!der and your done!

You can get it all off the internet if your inclined? Just saying, and hope that's helpful for you?:coolio:

On 3/19/2024 at 3:27 AM, quang said:

Cockpit lights are easy to replicate. I use two telescoping tubes cut to the correct length. The tubes can be styrene or metal alloys.
Why rely on after-market when you have fingers? ;)

So what are the dimensions for US lights?

21 hours ago, quang said:

None needed. I just eyeball them from photos of cockpit interiors. It’s modelling, remember? ;)

The problem there is I would need to order the material, so eyeballing doesn't work.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 9:27 AM, jwest21 said:

The problem there is I would need to order the material, so eyeballing doesn't work.  

Here are some pictures of a utility light (often referred to as a “Grimes Light”) on a Boeing 757. From what I can tell, the basic design has remained unchanged for decades, although I don’t know if it goes all the way back to WWII.

Anyway, as I didn’t have a measuring tape handy, I got out the next best thing: my “NATO Standard” bank card, which measures 85.6mm by 54.0mm. 

Hope this helps a little!

Rich

fOD5y8A.jpeg

8ABB9Gr.jpeg

LcX9Npl.jpeg

kKgQMXj.jpeg

nKE3VDe.jpeg

rDybfc7.jpeg

b0gOTOS.jpeg

Edited by allthumbs

If my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct, then a 1.9mm section of 1.3mm diameter metal tubing establishes the basic shape. A smaller telescoping section of rod stock could be used to create the red dial at the back.

HTH,

Rich

Edited by allthumbs

We had them on B-52s, a lot of them . We called them C-4 lights, I don't believe they were on any ww2 types though I could be wrong on that[ been known to happen from time to time]. They had a rheostat to control brightness and could be switched to red if needed ,pretty cool. they were also on B-47s IIRC.

59 minutes ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

We had them on B-52s, a lot of them . We called them C-4 lights, I don't believe they were on any ww2 types though I could be wrong on that[ been known to happen from time to time]. They had a rheostat to control brightness and could be switched to red if needed ,pretty cool. they were also on B-47s IIRC.

Actually there were small movable lights in WW2 fighters!

Super easy to scratch build.  Find appropriate dia of styrene rod, drill out one end a bit using pin vice or tip of new xacto knife.   Cut to length. Add a small bit of small dia rod on the other end for the knob.  Coil up a bit of brass wire for the cord.  Add a tiny scrap of plastic on the side for the mounting bracket. Paint.  Add drop of clear gloss to the drilled end.   Done.   I could build one in a few minutes.    

On 3/30/2024 at 11:53 PM, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

My dad's all time favorite AC, B47E, and he got to fly a bunch of types.