Brush painted Kotare Mk.Ia - Weathering the underside

Kelly

Hello there,

I haven't made a model kitset in ages so dusted off the Kotare Spitfire.

Great kit, as has been often said.

Seeing as my cat riddled my airbrush hose with toothmarks (furious) I've taken to brush painting.

All those lovely little raised rivets on the fuselage cause havoc with my painting technique because I do a lot of sanding to keep the surface smooth. They all had to go.

I found a lot of the panel lines quite indistinct and soft so had to re-scribe quite a lot of the fuselage aft of the cockpit.

Paint is Atelier Free Flow artists acrylic mixed to approximate WWII colours. I went with close enough is good enough.

All the weathering has been done with very watery Derwent Inktense watercolour pencils.

Chipping is tiny dots of Vallejo silver paint.

Really enjoying modelling again. I've been keenly watching all the fabulous builds on this site. 

Keep it up everyone!

Cheers,

Kels.

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_02

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_01

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_03

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_05

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_04

Edited by Kelly

Well done!

Wouldn't know it was brush painted had you not said anything.

Although I've not ever been one to paint and/or weather a model without all the bits on to be painted.

Seems it would be much harder to match things up after the fact. Although you can't argue with the results!

35 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Well done!

Wouldn't know it was brush painted had you not said anything.

Although I've not ever been one to paint and/or weather a model without all the bits on to be painted.

Seems it would be much harder to match things up after the fact. Although you can't argue with the results!

Thank you,

Yes sometimes you can paint yourself into a corner (so to speak) but if you test fit diligently and work out which areas are going to be problematic most issues can be resolved.

Really well engineered kits like these are fairly trouble free so can accomodate this process, but more difficult kits make it less practical.

Not having the wings and tailplanes on helps a lot with handling, sanding and painting details.

My process is very slow, so keeping the model "small" is helpful in maintaining enthusiasm.

Kels.

20 minutes ago, PEYSSON Gilles said:

Hello Kelly

I also use brushes to paint my models and I think your work is excellent.
So : nice paint job and wear :clap2:

Personally, I paint with Enamel !

Gilles

Thank you Gilles.

Brush painters unite!

Unlike you, I do not have the courage to try mottling yet ;)

Enamels I think are better for brush painting (contentious?) but I like the water clean up aspect with acrylics because I paint in our living room. My partner doesn't like the enamel smell - or the drone of compressor!

I have been experimenting with oil paints for mottling and soft edges. Early tests are promising. I may go down that path on my next model. Thankfully this Spit has hard edge camo.

Can't wait to see more progress on your amazing 109.

Kels.

11 minutes ago, Kelly said:

Thank you Gilles.

Brush painters unite!

Unlike you, I do not have the courage to try mottling yet ;)

Enamels I think are better for brush painting (contentious?) but I like the water clean up aspect with acrylics because I paint in our living room. My partner doesn't like the enamel smell - or the drone of compressor!

I have been experimenting with oil paints for mottling and soft edges. Early tests are promising. I may go down that path on my next model. Thankfully this Spit has hard edge camo.

Can't wait to see more progress on your amazing 109.

Kels.

Many Thanks Kelly for your message on my Me 109 !

To paint the blur on camouflage, I use a short-haired brush and stencil softly.

Keep up the good work on your superb Spitfire !!!

Gilles

Hello again,

A little bit of progress.

Added some decals, rivets and more weathering, etc.

The decals are really good quality. I really like them. The blue of the numerals I've heard queried at some point, and it is fairly rich. I like it, and think it sits nicely against the dark green and earth.

I tried something new with the exhaust marks. Using very watery ink pencil brushed on in a criss-cross, multi-layered technique. Not as soft and lovely as airbrushing of course, but again, my darn cats! I'm also experimenting with using the same process to go for a gentle "zenethal" lighting effect.

My vice-like grip snapped the wing fillet off so its a bit raggedy now. Stupido, stupido!

Now, onto the wings!

Thanks for your kind words folks,

Kels.

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_14

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_11

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_13

Kotare_MkIa_WIP_12