Hawker Hurricane prototype K5083 (Pacific Coast Models modified 1/32)

Hi everyone

I recently completed building my Hawker Hurricane prototype K5083.

This is basically a Pacific Coast Models Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (Early version). I changed its engine cowling panel lines and exhaust pipes to make it look like a prototype.

Hawker Hurricane is characterized by its mixed fabric and metal construction, which is most evident in the coloring of the prototype model. To show the difference between metal and fabric, aluminum foil was applied to the metal part, and silver dope color was applied to the fabric part. The aircraft numbers were airbrushed with handmade stencils and then fine-tuned by hand-painting. The prototype was modified through the process of its development. I specifically built the version of the plane that the RAF finally evaluated at Martlesham Heath airfield because this version most closely looks like PCM Mk.I Early kit. However, I may be wrong as I do not have sufficient reference documentation.

The Hurricane is often hidden in the shadow of the Spitfire, but it is a masterpiece that served irreplaceably as the RAF's warhorse. I built this model to honor my favorite unsung hero.

I hope you all like it. (I like to build model airplanes in flight status, but I should have something better than a plastic cup for display.)

ABLVV85xSDsphf1rAkgbMHxCXz0W03quLKJuM-AVmev-11951403.jpg

ABLVV86meOV_Dm5dJ40MVb7uKhoZCLnJmM-k67Qj

ABLVV87O131Q6jEtgXqXzFk3l5JSo24haqi_One6

ABLVV87Obj7Zg2wiLl2GX46ZW05sEzN3bzohuwgk

ABLVV87Mt9H39j3W_gpMjh7zdfFoWkrFwqqJjy-x

ABLVV84RSyb09wsK-LPRIpP2Lwa5nIWAMjAiltYN

ABLVV84BOp5ubvq66vPqfIh_7nB5QJO-Ye2JFiAg

ABLVV86DydVIgN76XzLzzoOcQgO823VJ8pyQqXPK

ABLVV84cNGf2MVxCYUORhmSk0pAOhoGi29Tsn1bt

ABLVV86jjF_03GD8Np2GWuYXOLlaHi4CEc1NBuKv

ABLVV85kuTOI2nAR31TACOBHsk14COZsmGgFyah4

ABLVV85XQuITyoM_VwpDuUyrO-0lOCq4yirWkade

Edited by sillymodeler

Love it!! That’s a really good looking model with just the right amount of shiny and silver bits, it looks super! 

The prototype is very much on my “to do” list, the only thing really that’s holding me up is the canopy which is flatter and squarer in profile than the in-service one. Yours though looks fine, so if I can find another rag wing PCM this could be on the cards, I want to use my current one for a Battle of France Hurricane, maybe Cobber Kain’s or more likely Billy Drake’s of 1 Squadron.

dK2PIX.png

@mozart

Thank you. Yeah, I noticed the kit canopy is a bit different from the prototype. and I also found the shape of the rudder is different after I painted my model. Haha. PCM kits are hard to find, but we need to build them before Kotare hopefully releases Mk.I.

I have fixed some of the photos in my post that were not showing.

2 hours ago, sillymodeler said:

@mozart

Thank you. Yeah, I noticed the kit canopy is a bit different from the prototype. and I also found the shape of the rudder is different after I painted my model. Haha. PCM kits are hard to find, but we need to build them before Kotare hopefully releases Mk.I.

I have fixed some of the photos in my post that were not showing.

The nose is also slightly different, a squarer section at the upper front but it’s so barely discernible as to be not worth bothering about to my mind! 

14 hours ago, sillymodeler said:

Hi everyone

I recently completed building my Hawker Hurricane prototype K5083.

This is basically a Pacific Coast Models Hawker Hurricane Mk.I (Early version). I changed its engine cowling panel lines and exhaust pipes to make it look like a prototype.

Hawker Hurricane is characterized by its mixed fabric and metal construction, which is most evident in the coloring of the prototype model. To show the difference between metal and fabric, aluminum foil was applied to the metal part, and silver dope color was applied to the fabric part. The aircraft numbers were airbrushed with handmade stencils and then fine-tuned by hand-painting. The prototype was modified through the process of its development. I specifically built the version of the plane that the RAF finally evaluated at Martlesham Heath airfield because this version most closely looks like PCM Mk.I Early kit. However, I may be wrong as I do not have sufficient reference documentation.

The Hurricane is often hidden in the shadow of the Spitfire, but it is a masterpiece that served irreplaceably as the RAF's warhorse. I built this model to honor my favorite unsung hero.

I hope you all like it. (I like to build model airplanes in flight status, but I should have something better than a plastic cup for display.)

Well done!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

• 3 weeks later...