1/32 Gloster Meteor coming from Revell in 2024

hworth18

It was announced some time back, but there was some confusion over the actual version they planned at the time, as the images posted didn't match the version they were touting. Looks like that might have been sorted now.

Kev

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I thought it was announced as the F.3 and never heard anything different.

It was (and still is, based on the latest updates), but IIRC, the original announcement was accompanied by images of some other variant, which caused a lot of confusion.

By the way, the Australian price for this kit is listed at an eye-watering $319:

https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/products/revell-03830-1-48-gloster-meteor-f-3-first-edition

And the accompanying image looks like an F.4 to me.

Kev

1 hour ago, LSP_Kevin said:

And the accompanying image looks like an F.4 to me.

Later mk 3s had the longer engine nacelles. Alas, the only sure recognition point is an intake on the cowling at about 1/3 chord, in the 11 o'clock position viewed from the front; and that's not visible in the photo. It does look to have the longer wings of the F3 though. The other sure point is the serial no, and I think this is right on the border of 3&4.

In any case, as I've done a HKM F4 I'll pass on this. Now if it had been an F8  T7 or NF I'd have been seriously tempted at the right price. And I'm not sure I'd pay £131-odd (listed price on Hannants "future releases" for a Revell kit. If it was Tamiya or Kotare ...

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

Later mk 3s had the longer engine nacelles. Alas, the only sure recognition point is an intake on the cowling at about 1/3 chord, in the 11 o'clock position viewed from the front; and that's not visible in the photo. It does look to have the longer wings of the F3 though. The other sure point is the serial no, and I think this is right on the border of 3&4.

In any case, as I've done a HKM F4 I'll pass on this. Now if it had been an F8  T7 or NF I'd have been seriously tempted at the right price. And I'm not sure I'd pay £131-odd (listed price on Hannants "future releases" for a Revell kit. If it was Tamiya or Kotare ...

Paul Fisher did the great conversion kits for the HKM Meteors to build an F8 or T7...Other than that there is not much out there (yet). Perhaps Revell will do the series?

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

Amen to that. The designer clearly pitched a WW2 era version, of retrograde interest to many after the HKM F.4, whereas I'd buy at least one post-war example, such as an F.8 or T.7 — or NF of any mark. I loathe Type C roundels on jets and want to model Type D roundels over glossy finishes. 

57 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

I believe we first need to see what will be in the box as most of the recent 1/32 kits showed a very significant improvement in accuracy and buildability (the Super Hornet being alas a noticeable exception). Wait and see ...

Yes, we need to see what's in the box and if the F.3 may be redeemed with conversion sets to create the more desirable variants. And, indeed, if it's compatible with old Fisher sets as it's likely to offer a higher level of detail than the very vanilla HKM F.4, very likely with in-situ Derwent(s), anti-icing ducting and whot-not. 

Tony 

I've wanted an F3 for ages, I even bought a HKM kit as a basis for the Paul Fisher conversion that did not arrive, but at the prices being banded about I will have to pass.

Might just paint the HKM kit as a wartime F3.

Cheers

Dennis

4 hours ago, Tony T said:

Amen to that. The designer clearly pitched a WW2 era version, of retrograde interest to many after the HKM F.4, whereas I'd buy at least one post-war example, such as an F.8 or T.7 — or NF of any mark. I loathe Type C roundels on jets and want to model Type D roundels over glossy finishes. 

Yes, we need to see what's in the box and if the F.3 may be redeemed with conversion sets to create the more desirable variants. And, indeed, if it's compatible with old Fisher sets as it's likely to offer a higher level of detail than the very vanilla HKM F.4, very likely with in-situ Derwent(s), anti-icing ducting and whot-not. 

Tony 

Converting an F.3 into any later marks seems to me basically amount to a new kit; there are so many differences. I see some reasoning in Revell not doing an F.4, as it already exists from HKM, but an F.8 would have the potential to be developed into an NF Mk. 11, which in turn, with a few extra parts, could also result in a TT Mk. 20. These aircraft were used by dozens of air forces around the world, and a number of civilian companies as well (e.g. Svensk Flygtjänst for the TT Mk. 20).

I really can‘t get my head round Revell‘s subject choice in this case.

I haven't seen any image of the latest Revell Meteor since the 2023 release that wasn't.  If it is the F.Mk.3 with longer nacelles, only fifteen of these were built meaning that choice of markings will be limited.  That's the bad news.

The good news is that it should have the long span wings, it would lend itself to a conversion to one of the later two seat night fighter versions, if someone could do a resin or 3D plastic conversion set.  I suppose that you could also convert it to one of the record breakers, EE-454 and EE-455 if you could bring yourself to shorten the wings and 3D print new tips.

In more bad news....  Is that price for real???  Pass.  I already have a very nice Meteor IV and T.7 both of which have the addition of some photo etch and resin/etch engines.  I think both of these cost me the same as one Revell F.3, if that price is correct.

Let's see what actually gets released and what it really costs.

Cheers,

Michael