MDC Hawker Typhoon W/Cdr R E P Brooker

mozart

10 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

That's a bewilderingly complex structure Max. 

Please tell me you don't intend to replicate that in it's entirety.:o

:blink:

I thought about it Guy :hmmm:……for a nanosecond! I looked at the structure for quite a long while trying to figure out recognisable bits, and how to photograph it all so that they were clearer, but I don’t think I succeeded! It’s a pity the perspex was across the IP, really couldn’t see that at all. I know work is still ongoing and they have a specific date in June….D-Day anniversary I think I recall when it should be complete. Nope, just checked….Armed Forces Day….29 June.

Edited by mozart

On 2/13/2024 at 7:34 PM, mozart said:

The only photo I have seen is the one I have already posted:

mZ5xJl.jpg

where the tail fin isn’t visible, but the further blurred Typhoon image definitely shows some lettering in that area. Is it speculation I wonder also about the spinner design and colour? Definitely not black or sky, some kind of stripe there. :hmmm:

On 2/14/2024 at 6:14 PM, mozart said:

Thanks Dennis, here’s a couple more though not specifically Brooker’s but still his squadron:

tT9Oh9.jpg

I know it is not the same aircraft, but in the second shot the spinner looks to have some sort of damage to the paintwork rather than a stripe; could that be what we are seeing in the first photo?

I’m pretty certain that it is a coloured band. The base “colour” of the spinner seems to be quite feasibly red because it appears tonally to be the same as the middle of the roundel. The lighter colour of the band is less certain in my mind, could be yellow for sure but I wonder if there’s some reason or rationale behind it, like old school colours? Guess we’ll never know but I do think the shape of the band is unlikely as shown on the colour profile. I can see why the artist has arrived at the truncated end based on the first photo but I think the lower part is in shadow but the second picture shows it continuing further round. As for the pointed other end…..who knows? 

Edited by mozart

Typhoon progress!  The main elements of the cockpit structure, all well cast and delightful to work with:

i4Gsbl.jpg

The central item; the rudder pedals, control column, foot boards and supporting framework comprise four elements which fit together beautifully.  The instructions though are quite......challenging.  The text is cryptic, the photographs small and not very clear....so pre-assembly checks are essential:

a54YVR.jpg

I've joined a Facebook "Logbooks" group, and this was one of the first I looked at:

uMU7lj.jpg

aoNUHZ.jpg

Finally, not to forget the ladies... an ATA pilot delivers a Typhoon, the lady in question being Naomi Heron-Maxwell:

7ErY1x.png

Edited by mozart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

OK, Hurricane IIB finished so time for a change with my Tiffie.  The first task to update myself with the cockpit and what goes where, only to discover that one piece is missing, the throttle quadrant on the port side.  The instructions are of no use in helping with an idea of what needs scratch-building, but the following pics give me enough info:

this is one refurbished for the JetAge museum:

1VVDvp.png

URJEbk.png

and in situ:

mHZLIh.jpg

Another cockpit view:

49poNb.jpg

and in the Pilot's Notes:

IaJov6.jpg

I enjoy carving lumps of resin "sprue" so I just need to get an idea of size then see what can be done.  Just behind the throttle sits the trim wheel, useful pic from JetAge again:

lrSinU.png

Edited by mozart

12 hours ago, dennismcc said:

Looks like we are in for another detail heavy build, which is really great as it will provide reference for many more builds.

Cheers

Dennis

Actually Dennis I’m hoping not to go overboard with detail on the Tiffie, as you will know it’s pretty difficult to see much inside the cockpit especially with it being mostly black on black. But we’ll see! 

Posted (edited)

On closer examination of the port fuselage framework, there's an item there which I'm sure is the throttle quadrant!  I don't recall putting it there (but I may have! :wacko:) or the previous owner may have.  Anyway, no need to scratch one.  The cockpit construction is tricky so I hope these pics will help any future builders who may stumble across this.

Firstly, correction of the misalignment of the firewall and side frame spigots:

09QoLS.jpg

Then a careful step by step build up, checking and dry fitting frequently because anything part not correctly fitted will have a knock on effect:

Pn6l7X.jpg

It’s not at all clear in the instructions where and how the heel bar/rudder pedal assembly goes, I had to amputate a little to get it to fit where I think it should be:

quxQL9.jpg

View from below: 

fCMSKk.jpg

4Tg8ru.jpg

It fits well into the fuselage:

quxQL9.jpg

fC61lA.jpg

But when the two fuselage halves are zipped up, how much will be seen? :whistle:

ZZ3BzR.jpg

Not a great deal! 

Edited by mozart