Ever file 13 a kit or kits in progress?

hworth18

Some good points made here in the last couple of posts. I’ll bin a model and lose interest, it’s rare but does happen on the other hand, I’ll happily adopt and build with great gusto another modellers cast off/stalled/ stash queen/ shelf of doom model. Point of fact some recent (from a friend cast off) builds: vac 1/48 Aurora, vac 1/32 Lockheed Hudson, 1/32 hawker hunter and just recently a 1/32 Hasegawa Oscar…..and I’ll fricken do it again:evil_laugh:

On 2/6/2024 at 8:34 AM, BarryWilliams said:

I don’t know what is meant by ‘file 13’ but by reading the answers it seems the question is about binning unfinished models. 

I don’t have a shelf of doom,  I finish a model (building one at a time) or I bin it.  Binning is rare though, about 8 binned out of over 100 models over the last 13/14 years.   I will only bin a model if I lose enjoyment in the build, some of those include the dreadful Kitty Hawk OV10, the Revell FW190F and the Special Hobby Aircobra.  In some cases I have binned for other reasons, for instance a Trumpeter Avenger that did not have a turret transparency after six months chasing and trying to get one I binned the model over 90% finished.   In another case a Hobbyboss Black Widow, nose heavy with ballast fell off the table when I was trying to fit the drop tanks onto a concrete floor and irreparable smashed. I can be clumsy!

I know that I will never return to an unfinished model so no shelf of doom.  

This makes me sad.  I have a Trumpeter Avenger that I’m going to build as the guppy with the radar on the belly and an enclosed rear cockpit and I’m not going to use the turret.  

That being said, I have a 1/72 Concorde kit missing the canopy. Heller now sells it and twice I have written them asking about buying a replacement.  I actually got a email response once, but that was all I got.  Thinking of just tossing it now. 

On 2/17/2024 at 2:06 PM, ScottsGT said:

This makes me sad.  I have a Trumpeter Avenger that I’m going to build as the guppy with the radar on the belly and an enclosed rear cockpit and I’m not going to use the turret.  

That being said, I have a 1/72 Concorde kit missing the canopy. Heller now sells it and twice I have written them asking about buying a replacement.  I actually got a email response once, but that was all I got.  Thinking of just tossing it now. 

Scott, I have an unused clear sprue for that kit. DM me your addy and I’ll post it.

Here's a weird thing: the last couple of days I've been looking over the boxes in the garage which contain my built models  and repairing a few that needed it. Came to a 1/48 P-51B (oh for a decent one of those in 1/32) which needed the tailwheel refixing. "Simple drill and pin job," I thought, but it went a little wrong, and as the model was 21 or so years old  I binned it.

Next day, I saw it lying in the bin, had second thoughts :crying:, and as (miraculously) nothing else was damaged,  rooted in the bin - waste bin in my mancave, not the one outside I hasten to add - recovered the tailwheel, and managed to salvage the model after all.  And yet I normally bin a "resisted repair" without a qualm. Aren't modellers odd?  Or is it just me?:shrug:

Most of my 'binnage' has resulted from the wife being 'helpful' and dusting models on display, with the predicted result. Or, the dog knocking into the display cabinet and hence my models simulating taking a volley of 20mm cannon into their fuselage!

In most cases, they are older completions and hence there's usually things I'm better at now that are visible and so chucking them in the bin doesn't bother me too much.

It's the building them and improving our skills that's the fun bit, right?

On 2/22/2024 at 1:39 AM, MikeC said:

Here's a weird thing: the last couple of days I've been looking over the boxes in the garage which contain my built models  and repairing a few that needed it. Came to a 1/48 P-51B (oh for a decent one of those in 1/32) which needed the tailwheel refixing. "Simple drill and pin job," I thought, but it went a little wrong, and as the model was 21 or so years old  I binned it.

Next day, I saw it lying in the bin, had second thoughts :crying:, and as (miraculously) nothing else was damaged,  rooted in the bin - waste bin in my mancave, not the one outside I hasten to add - recovered the tailwheel, and managed to salvage the model after all.  And yet I normally bin a "resisted repair" without a qualm. Aren't modellers odd?  Or is it just me?:shrug:

Started feeling guilty, huh? 

On 2/22/2024 at 6:16 AM, Shoggz said:

Most of my 'binnage' has resulted from the wife being 'helpful' and dusting models on display, with the predicted result. Or, the dog knocking into the display cabinet and hence my models simulating taking a volley of 20mm cannon into their fuselage!

In most cases, they are older completions and hence there's usually things I'm better at now that are visible and so chucking them in the bin doesn't bother me too much.

It's the building them and improving our skills that's the fun bit, right?

Before retirement I worked at a University.  Behind my desk and on top of a 5’ high bookshelf I had a few models on display. One was a 1/48 Tamiya Lancaster I had just finished.  Yea, they were collecting dust.  Came in one morning and noticed the dust was all gone. As we’re a few minor details like the aileron counterbalances. 
The housekeeping lady thought she was doing me a favor by wiping them down.  I had to add a sign on the shelf “DO NOT DUST MODELS. You broke them last time you tried to help me”. 
Sadly, I need to find a new home for it because I now have the HKM Lancaster to build.  

2 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Started feeling guilty, huh? 

Perhaps - but more that it was one of my better efforts, and unusual among my 1:48 Mustang collection in that as a China-based aircraft it had a DF loop and I'd also fitted bazooka rocket tubes, so it left a gap in said collection.

Normally, once in the bin, they don't get a second thought.

On 2/21/2024 at 5:53 PM, Lee White said:

Scott, I have an unused clear sprue for that kit. DM me your addy and I’ll post it.

Lee, you are the man!  The sprue arrived in great shape.   I will add, I panicked a second. When I pulled it out the canopy was not on the sprue and didn’t see it down in the bottom of the bag. 

I’m glad they arrived safe. The canopy,or windscreen part, was attached when packaged, so I can only surmise that the postal workers were re-enacting one of those old Samsonite commercials with your package. But, I’m glad it’s gone to a new home, I hope we see the finished product one day!

On 2/15/2024 at 9:55 AM, chrish said:

Some good points made here in the last couple of posts. I’ll bin a model and lose interest, it’s rare but does happen on the other hand, I’ll happily adopt and build with great gusto another modellers cast off/stalled/ stash queen/ shelf of doom model. Point of fact some recent (from a friend cast off) builds: vac 1/48 Aurora, vac 1/32 Lockheed Hudson, 1/32 hawker hunter and just recently a 1/32 Hasegawa Oscar…..and I’ll fricken do it again:evil_laugh:

I recently acquired a 1/32 Hasegawa Oscar.  What’s wrong with it?