Building the Border 1/35 Kate. Got paint!

quang

Been lurking for a while, but I have to commend you on that distressed paint job, Quang.

Love the mix of hard edged and translucent green camo. Did you use stencils/masks for that?

3 hours ago, quang said:

Chocked on the price sticker?

I paid exactly 67 euros (about AUD 110) shipping included for the kit, received it 10 days after I ordered it. When you know that a Tamiya 1/32 A6M2 Zero-sen costs 120 euros over here in Belgium, there’s really nothing to complaint about. 

Yeah, I realised now that's because I was looking at the Kate and flight deck combo. I just found the Kate on her own for a much more reasonable price.

My wallet is hating you right now for making me aware of this. :D

2 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

Yeah, I realised now that's because I was looking at the Kate and flight deck combo. I just found the Kate on her own for a much more reasonable price.

My wallet is hating you right now for making me aware of this. :D

Don’t you worry. Mine is completely depleted and doesn’t talk to me anymore. :P

Actually, I was just browsing the site of the first place I should have gone to (BNA) and found out they also do a Stuka. Whilst I am not a huge fan of it, the kit itself looks amazing. I thought they only did the Lancaster (shows how much I follow aircraft kits). The one kit I saw elsewhere that looks promising is the HE-111. I might have to save up and buy that when it gets released

1 hour ago, Fanes said:

Did you use stencils/masks for that?

I do have photo etched masks but didn’t use them this time because their effects would be too subtle for such an extreme treatment. 
I didn’t even used the usual chipping liquids ;)

Instead I used the humble Gunze maskol equivalent. Hinomaru, markings and walkways masked and maskol applied.

IMG-5254.jpg

IMG-5261.jpg

IMG-5262.jpg

Green camouflage applied in random scribbling.

I knew that AK paints sought advice from Nick Millman, the expert on WWII Japanese camouflage for their IJN set. So I acquired a bottle of Nakajima green black to see what it looked like.

I made my own blend using the following 3 greens + one dark Thunderbirds blue for extreme shadows.

IMG-5321.jpg

The greens are applied in random scribbles
IMG-5263.jpg

IMG-5265.jpg

Maskol removed
IMG-5266.jpg

IMG-5267.jpg

IMG-5269.jpg

IMG-5271.jpg

IMG-5281.jpg

How Kate would look like in final. Note overspray on the unpainted outer wings.
IMG-5282.jpg

The next step is adjusting the peeling by adding green here and there and refining the details. After that, post shading and washes.
It’s still a long way to Tipperary :lol:

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

14 minutes ago, The Madhatter said:

found out they also do a Stuka. Whilst I am not a huge fan of it, the kit itself looks amazing.

Beware. The Stuka (and the Bf109) were the first 1/35 planes issued by Border and are not without issue. They’ve gone good after the FW190 A6. :P

On 2/15/2024 at 6:18 PM, quang said:

It’s a well-known fact often repeated in several Japanese (Koku-fan, Model Art, …) and English-language (Bert Kinsey Jeff Ethell,…) publications.

I guess it originally came from the late David Aiken, the world-expert on the PH raid who met and interviewed many Japanese veterans nonetheless Misuo Fuchida who planned and led the ‘Hawaiian operation’.
Check out his seminal ‘Torpedoing Pearl Harbor’ article in Military History magazine where he could have mentioned the fact.

I am off for too long obviously from this discussion. What’s still in my memory is that „No, Japanese colors were of good quality. Chipping due to lack of Primer“ thing. But Kates entirely camouflaged in light grey-green and dark green applied on board of the carriers? No, that’s new to me. 

You did well in using several shades of green for the upper surfaces. It doesn’t only give a nice shadowing, it also shows the improvised character of this paint job.

56 minutes ago, Borsos said:

I am off for too long obviously from this discussion. What’s still in my memory is that „No, Japanese colors were of good quality. Chipping due to lack of Primer“ thing. But Kates entirely camouflaged in light grey-green and dark green applied on board of the carriers? No, that’s new to me. 

Oh yeah! Nothing like a little challenge to disrupt the snooze of a Sunday Mornin’ Comin’ Down. :P

Excerpt from HERE

IMG-5322.jpg

Another one. Except from HERE

IMG-5323.jpg

Want more? HERE ‘tis
IMG-5326.jpg

Another one for the road

IMG-5325.jpg

I can go on and on and on… but I don’t want to be accused of boring my colleagues LSP’ers to death!

HTH

Cheers,

Quang

Oh my god, my ignorance does by no way mean, I would not believe it!

thanks for posting the sources, but I am afraid you invested your Sunday in vain: I happily learned something new, no doubts or mistrust in mind — by no means I questioned this information or expected a proof for that.

Edited by Borsos

15 hours ago, Borsos said:

Oh my god, my ignorance does by no way mean, I would not believe it!

thanks for posting the sources, but I am afraid you invested your Sunday in vain: I happily learned something new, no doubts or mistrust in mind — by no means I questioned this information or expected a proof for that.

Don’t you bother!  It’s legitimate to question anything you see on the internet.

Furthermore if it can help anyone who’s building the Kate, my effort wouldn’t be in vain. :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, PEYSSON Gilles said:

The paint chips are amazing :clap2:

Especially when they’re served with a fried fish fillet and a drop of malt vinegar. Yummy!:P

Edited by quang

A quick update on the upper surface finish.
The peeling effect was sensibly fine-tuned by adding the green paint here and there to reduce the blotched effect and at the same time trying to keep some sense of credibility.

I took care NOT to degrade the hinomaru as I guess there’s a certain mystique surrounding it. You see paint peeling everywhere on Japanese planes except on the hinomarus which were kept pristine.

IMG-5379.jpg

The engine cowling is permanently installed. White painted torpedo guides added.l
IMG-5381.jpg

IMG-5383.jpg

I wrongly added the homing loop antenna which shouldn’t be there as AI-316 and most Kates during the Pearl Harbor and Ceylon raids flew with their radios and mast antenna removed.
IMG-5387.jpg

Border gave some attention to the gunsight for torpedo launching. It was present on every Kate even on bombing missions.
IMG-5386.jpg

Glasshouse dry-fitted.
IMG-5397.jpg

The rectangular window on both sides of the fuselage gave some natural light to the observer’s station.
IMG-5398.jpg

Tank filler caps painted red. I added the protruding device in front of outboard filler cap which indicates that the landing gear is down and locked.
IMG-5401.jpg

Serial and plane data 
IMG-5392.jpg

IMG-5404.jpg

Oil, fuel and ordnance data table on the cowling.
IMG-5414.jpg

Next time we’ll deal with the undersides.

Until then, thank you all for looking,

Cheers,

Quang