MASTERS is here!

• quang changed the title to MASTERS is here!

When the first episode finished I was shocked that nearly an hour had passed - it felt like about 15 minutes. Gripping stuff. I never even thought about the CGI and effects, which, to me, means it was a success.

Also, am I right in thinking that of the main characters, it’s only Elvis, err, Austin Butler who is actually American? I know Callum Turner and Barry Keoghan are English and Irish respectively. 

That’s one of the things I liked about Band of Brothers - seeing future British stars like Simon Pegg and Tom Hardy (plus quite a few others!) in early roles playing American soldiers!

1 hour ago, Shoggz said:

When the first episode finished I was shocked that nearly an hour had passed - it felt like about 15 minutes. Gripping stuff. I never even thought about the CGI and effects, which, to me, means it was a success.

Also, am I right in thinking that of the main characters, it’s only Elvis, err, Austin Butler who is actually American? I know Callum Turner and Barry Keoghan are English and Irish respectively. 

That’s one of the things I liked about Band of Brothers - seeing future British stars like Simon Pegg and Tom Hardy (plus quite a few others!) in early roles playing American soldiers!

I can only agree. Gripping story line and the CGI did not distract at all. So far, so good!

The Guy Narrating, Harry Crosby, was a member of our local Group, The Grey Eagles up here in NH. I talked with him a few times before he passed in 2010.

He published a book, Wing and a Prayer. He really was the Lead Navigator with the 100th BG. He said he became the lead navigator because some pilots liked a particular

mission he was on (Him implying that he was, himself, nothing special). A real humble guy. What a trip it is to see his life fleshed out like this! The second I heard someone say

"Crosby" I lit right up!

Regards,

Stephen

Well, after watching the first two episodes twice each, this series is really starting to get into my psyche.. The theme music has grown on me and is starting to cause that goose-bump feeling that both ‘Band of Brothers’ and ‘The Pacific’ elicited.

The edge of our sofa is getting worn, with me moving to it during the airborne sequences.. They really are very good.. I’m enjoying it. 

5 hours ago, Shoggz said:

The edge of our sofa is getting worn, with me moving to it during the airborne sequences.. They really are very good.. I’m enjoying it. 

Richard, go back to the plastic!

I was surprised to read that there were no real B-17s used for filming it , just the 2 full size mock ups and cgi.  Its been great so far. The first time they go up an chaos ensues gave me a genuine feeling of dread. I mean imagine going through all that then realising you have to do it again and again ?  Brave is not a big enough word.

Seeing as i now have Apple TV i decided to watch greyhound. That was great too

54 minutes ago, gunpowder said:

Its been great so far. The first time they go up an chaos ensues gave me a genuine feeling of dread.

It’s the magic of storytelling. That is what makes a movie great, NOT the mock-up nor the cgi (or lack of).

I visited Thorpe Abbots a few years ago. It was the strangest feeling. It felt so familiar to me . I have no idea why. , I have never been there before. It was most odd.

42 minutes ago, gunpowder said:

I visited Thorpe Abbots a few years ago. It was the strangest feeling. It felt so familiar to me . I have no idea why. , I have never been there before. It was most odd.

Shades of the Shepherd? ;)

I watched the first two episodes last night and was impressed. The CGI was good, I felt, and far, far better than Red Tails. 

Being a B-17 nut and, not wanting to be “one of those people,” I did spot a few inaccuracies but overall it was really well done and provided a fantastic mix of historical accuracy and edge of your seat entertainment - if that’s the right word given the context. 

A solid 8/10 so far…

Tom, I agree entirely.

What I will say, after watching the first two episodes, is that it could possibly have done with one more episode (this series has 9 unlike BoB and The Pacific which had 10) to flesh out and establish the main characters, a bit like the USA based early episodes in the other two series.

The introduction to the significant characters on first viewing is a bit more rushed here and hence the initial pacing seems a bit more frenetic.

Watching the two episodes again and after properly getting to know them, it was definitely more enjoyable.

The only other slightly ‘odd’ thing was how belligerent the RAF guys were to their U.S.A.A.F. colleagues in episode 2. Maybe that was what early exchanges were like between the two forces early on? 

Looking forward to watching both episodes again tonight. The aerial sequences are sooo good.