175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

10 hours ago, mozart said:

Here's a Warmwell dispersal, I've photoshopped out the Hurricane:

IsvdjO.jpg

I might try printing this as a backdrop and pose mine in front of it....we'll see! 

Or photoshop your Hurricane into it ?  All coming together nicely Max.

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Or photoshop your Hurricane into it ?  All coming together nicely Max.

Yes that's certainly an option Mike, but it's easier and more controllable to make the backdrop then place the model in front, there will be aircrew to include too.

Bombed up!  Tim aka wunwinglow's excellent 250lb bombs nestle in their cradles:

IeSBhl.jpg

Ee7GTS.jpg

And the props are on of course.

QuJjGr.jpg

ZRbsQb.jpg

IpxLy7.jpg

7rYgz2.jpg

Now, that lighter patch on the gun port covers.  There is no gun in the position where the bomb carriers are fitted, which is a strong point on the wing.  So some of the pictures show a light (or sometimes dark) patch at that place....

0bcBzJ.jpg

Deffo finished tomorrow! :piliot:

That Hurri's a hell of a warrior, Max!
He's very aggressive with his bombs, and it's going to make for something superb!

Superbe ( with an ‘e’ as we say over here ), I reckon it will be really difficult to distinguish from the genuine article in B&W with the right background.

I vaguely remember reading about the missing guns in the Hurribomber but hadn’t picked up on the lighter/darker spots on the gun patches.

John

15 hours ago, dennismcc said:

It's a shame that they did not include the bomb carriers and bombs in the kit, it does look good like that.

Cheers

Dennis

I have to agree Dennis, it is such a good kit and a real pleasure to build but Revell have been rather short-sighted in the options that they have given the modeller. Thank goodness for Tim! 

15 hours ago, Shoggz said:

Great stuff Max.

Cheers Rich, lots of fun is being had! 

3 hours ago, Archimedes said:

That is a very convincing piece of work Max! Your weathering is superb both on the airframe and the ordnance.

Kind regards,

Paul

It’s basically Flory’s Dark Dirt Paul, but I think the MRP paints provide just the right surface “texture” to achieve the desired effect. I’ve also used “neat” yellow ochre oil paint, the alkyd variety, in very small amounts in random places then worked it thoroughly with a stiff brush. 
Warmwell airfield is no more, the site has for several decades been used for gravel extraction, so the soil is very light and sandy in colour, hence my choice of yellow ochre.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Superbe ( with an ‘e’ as we say over here ), I reckon it will be really difficult to distinguish from the genuine article in B&W with the right background.

I vaguely remember reading about the missing guns in the Hurribomber but hadn’t picked up on the lighter/darker spots on the gun patches.

John

Thanks John, that’s the aim! It’s marvellous, and fun, to play with photo editing post-build to try to re-create long ago scenes. 

1 hour ago, monthebiff said:

Excellent build Max, really nicely done!

Regards. Andy 

Two consecutive Hurricane builds nearly finished Andy, both completely different experiences but equally satisfying. I’m looking forward to getting properly stuck into K5083 shortly, though my Tiffie is a bit tardy and deserves some TLC too! 

Max, I've been building the same kit myself recently, going as a MkIIb (LR) with some underwing fuel tanks. The thread has been really useful in building mine, I copied your use of the Anyz bolts on the armor plate as well. 

Posted (edited)

If I was to say "It's finished.", it would not be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth...and I'll tell you why! :D  I noticed early on in the build that the short aerial mast atop the fin seemed rather short, whether by design (in which case it's wrong) or a tiny bit of mis-moulding.  So I ignored it till now, then substituted a thin piece of plastic this afternoon.  I would have preferred, and prepared for a thin length of brass rod but I couldn't drill the narrow top of the fin, so plastic it is.  But then of course, it got knocked off before fully set....so no aerial wire yet, till all firmly set! 

Another tiny bit that gave me grief was the mirror.  The kit provides for a circular or rectangular mirror, I checked reference pics to find the 175 Squadron Hurricanes had the latter.  But the kit one wasn't great, it was too thick and the mount wasn't convincing.  So I made my own version...a simple piece of 10 thou plasticard and a mount carved from a piece of resin:

GbC2x4.jpg

And so, the "nearly finished pics":

PrzGh1.jpg

SztLea.jpg

DjyKJE.jpg

JA4kWP.jpg

Q6JVK6.jpg

eoV3hv.jpg

Steve Stevenson has his parachute ready on his wing, he's not a "parachute ready in the cockpit" chap! One other small but noticeable feature which I don't think the kit includes at all is the sight mount from the early days of a ring and bead sight.  I can't explain why the mount on the nose is retained, but check almost any photo of any Mark of Hurricane and it's there.  My mount, a small piece of brass tube, came with the cannons.

Really enjoyed this lovely kit, a great change from the rigours, trials and tribulations of the PCM one (some of which self imposed) but on to the Hurricane prototype K5083 now.  RFI pics when it stops raining! 

Edited by mozart