175 Squadron Hurribomber finished!

mozart

20 minutes ago, Archimedes said:

Lovely work Max on what has always looked a fiendishly complex cockpit!  I am following this one closely and enjoying it enormously.

Kind regards,

Paul

I’ve built a few cockpits in my time Paul, several of them Hurricanes. This is the most complex…..but the easiest yet! Absolutely zero issues with keeping everything square due to the engineering of the kit. :punk:

3 hours ago, mozart said:

I’ve built a few cockpits in my time Paul, several of them Hurricanes. This is the most complex…..but the easiest yet! Absolutely zero issues with keeping everything square due to the engineering of the kit. :punk:

That is useful to know actually! It is always good to know which kits have decent engineering.

Kind regards,

Paul

I've switched my focus to the wings for a change of scene!  It seems the wing to fuselage area is the Achilles' heel of more than just the PCM kits.  I've done a fair bit of reading and research regarding the new Revell Hurricane, all praiseworthy stuff but wing construction appears the most contentious area.  

The lower wing comprises three sections; port, starboard and centre, beneath which is the wheel well.  On this kit lots of pins/studs engage with holes to ensure a firm, accurate key:

UhQhXr.jpg

ShEAYr.jpg

This is all fine providing a very thorough clean up is done with any flash or remains of sprue points.  I noticed a less than perfect fit on the port wing inner edge which proved to be a tiny imperfection, swiftly removed and all good.  But getting the wings into position isn't straightforward, it's a "2 stage operation":

j9ajFd.jpg

So there's a lip or ledge on the centre section which is the first point to engage the wing, the latter then being lifted and the four pins engaged with the mating holes, a snap fit!  Once in place it's a very firm, join-free fit.  I have glued these three sections together so I have a lower wing assembled....

HBo8yl.jpg

.......next is the wheel bay.  

The Revell instructions then say to cement the upper wings in place before offering this up to the fuselage.  This method though has led in some cases to a gap along the wing to fuselage join and unevenness around the front wing root.  So I'm going down the route of upper wings to fuselage so that I have access to the inside of the upper wing and can make sure adjustments are possible for an optimum fit.

Edited by mozart

46 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

It looks like quite a complicated procedure, does it set up the dihedral also or are there spars?

John

From other builds that I have seen adopting this method, the dihedral, such as it is, is maintained John.  We'll see! :D

The lower wing and wheel well complete....well nearly!  I forget two actuators and two bracing pieces!  Fortunately both can be fitted afterwards:

xjb93P.jpg

iKqhEI.jpg

With care this kit is going together so easily, let's hope it continues! 

15 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Looks like some smart engineering from Revell to support that wing construction

Matt 

Hi Matt (and Max),

As, I believe, that Radu Brinzan was involved with Revell during the development of this kit, it does not surprise me at all about the overall levels of quality, fit and engineering acumen that has gone into it. It looks great so far and I hope that you are enjoying it - I will certainly be buying one of these kits one day (I still have the original Revell 1/32 Mk.1 version to make!).

Derek

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Matt (and Max),

As, I believe, that Radu Brinzan was involved with Revell during the development of this kit, it does not surprise me at all about the overall levels of quality, fit and engineering acumen that has gone into it. It looks great so far and I hope that you are enjoying it - I will certainly be buying one of these kits one day (I still have the original Revell 1/32 Mk.1 version to make!).

Derek

Yes Derek, Radu’s influence is quite clear thank goodness! I also have the old Revell Hurricane that I was intending to build at some point but in comparison it’s so poor that I really now can’t be bothered. I plan to glue it together as a paint mule.