3D Printed McDonnell RF-101A/C Voodoo WIP

scjh

New set of work in progress prints.  At the top of the screen further away from the camera is an older design printed in PLA, and the lower one is the latest print in HIPS after a few fixes and details/panel lines added.  There are a few extra engine vents on the engine nacelle that are only applicable to the F-101A/RF-101A in the PLA print.  An air inlet on the leading edge of the vertical tail fin is only applicable to the F-101C/RF-101C, and a few of the RF-101As that served in the ROCAF.  These are raw prints, and should look better with some primer and sanding (or printed in resin ultimately).  There is a set of piano hinges on the two sides of the center fuselage.

trlZef.jpg
ztq9M7.jpg
DobFIe.jpg
TPSGRr.jpg
9whjBO.jpg
mpt6Bo.jpg

bkYrPI.jpg
X5u873.jpg
GhrpOt.jpg
b9Iisn.jpg

iHuqoC.jpg
GLgj02.jpg

Some details on the lower forward fuselage.

NmFlUM.jpg
UGoxmu.jpg

21 hours ago, scjh said:

Hi wunwinglow,

Definitely agree on HIPS!  I've been doing lots of print tests with HIPS for the large fuselage and wing parts!  Still trying to dial in my printer settings.  Also need to adjust the model to help with printing.  My control surface trailing edges are too thin now to print nicely.

SC

Good man! 

Ref the trailing edges, what I do is add a cylindrical rod along the trailing edge, just like adding foam insulation to a water pipe. It need to be a fraction larger in diameter than twice your nozzle size.  This will allow the nozzle to fully deposit enough material to include the actual trailing edge, and you simply sand off the surplus above and below the trailing edge. Easy Peasy.

Have fun!

T

• 2 weeks later...

A small update as I'm workingon adding surface details to the 3d model.  In the last few sets of HIPS prints, there were some indentations around the panel line details that were not in my earlier tests prints.  I think it may be related to new printer slicer configuration or printer firmware changes, as I had been using the same "0.2mm normal" setting.  Now using the "0.1mm quality" setting seems to elimnate the artifact.  This shouldn't be an issue for resin prints as all the details are done with optical images and not mechanical as with FDM where the print head has to do a quick direction change around the details.

In the photo below, the far one was printed in "0.2mm normal" with older model/software version and had no indentations (it has a coat of primer), the center one was printed in "0.2mm normal" that had the indentations, and the bottom one is a new print at "0.1mm quality" without indentations.

QBjcFi.jpg

Old print at 0.2mm
axuxyU.jpg

indentations with "0.2mm normal" setting after software/firmware change
d38W0q.jpg

no large indentation at "0.1mm quality"
sA7sXl.jpg

another view comparing the prints

QdViCX.jpg

Hopefully with a coat of primer and slight surface smoothing it would be good enough for further finishing.

SC

Edited by scjh

Thanks Bruce and geedubelyer!

No new prints, just wanted to share the happy fun time I am having making panel lines in the rear fuselage.  Not only are the access doors different left and right, the heat shield areas are also slightly different left and right.  On top of that, the F/RF-101A heat shield upper boundary is also ever so slightly different than the F/RF-101C.  The one single slope upper boundary connecting the upper and lower regions of the heat shield areas on the C is broken up with a horizontal step on the A.  I have not seen this difference represented by any existing Voodoo kits or conversion sets.  (Please let me know otherwise.)  There are other small differences between C and A versions I will be documenting if there is enough interest.  I've mentioned before the small vertical tail LE inlet, the 4 engine vents on each side of the rear nacelles, and Type IIa vs Type IIb intakes.  (Although a few of the RF-101As in ROCAF service will break some of these rules.)

Work in progress panel lines, not completely correct yet.

xrcK6P.jpg
qzESVL.jpg

Take a look at Akira Watanabe's Voodoo walk around photos here:

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/waRF101.html

This one in particular

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/images6/waF101-221.jpg

RF-101C panel lines over photogrammetry RF-101A.  Note the extra horizontal step.

NMeD2y.jpg

RF-101C panel lines over photograph of RF-101A with rough camera placement.
OTyqnC.jpg

SC

Edited by scjh