Border 1/35 Akagi Flight Deck and Kate Torpedo Bomber Preview

Scotsman

As to the Kate kit, I just took a look at the instructions as I went town a Kate, Val rabbit hole inspired by Val decals posted on SprueBrothers.  Anyway the Border Kate, if I am seeing it right the fusilage and wings are designed to have no seems that are not on natural panel lines, so the wing leading edges are all separate parts, the upper spine is a separate part, and the lower fusilage is attached to the lower center wing section so the main fusilage is sandwiched in between and the seems are on natural panel lines.  If it all fits no clean up.  

The landing gear though did not get the same attention so far as I can tell, as it is the traditional rectangle insert that could leave room to get the alignment off so a little care with landing gear alignment will still be needed.  

Canopy attachment looks like it also could leave room for issues, would have to build one.  The kit as a whole looks really nice.  

1 hour ago, cbk57 said:

As to the Kate kit, I just took a look at the instructions as I went town a Kate, Val rabbit hole inspired by Val decals posted on SprueBrothers.  Anyway the Border Kate, if I am seeing it right the fusilage and wings are designed to have no seems that are not on natural panel lines, so the wing leading edges are all separate parts, the upper spine is a separate part, and the lower fusilage is attached to the lower center wing section so the main fusilage is sandwiched in between and the seems are on natural panel lines.  If it all fits no clean up.  

The landing gear though did not get the same attention so far as I can tell, as it is the traditional rectangle insert that could leave room to get the alignment off so a little care with landing gear alignment will still be needed.  

Canopy attachment looks like it also could leave room for issues, would have to build one.  The kit as a whole looks really nice.  

So far all I've been able to do is dry fit some of the major airframe parts and the fit looks to be very good. I like the way they "engineered" the way things go on panel lines . I 'll be launching into this next week hopefully. Those instructions though. yeow! I also did a little experiment with the decals and they should be "alright" ,not great but useable, certainly not up to the likes of Carcal or Begemot, but workable. I have an aftermarket sheet coming from CTA, though I don't know much about them . Guess I'll see. For the cockpit color call outs I gotta use the Hasegawa 48th Kate" instructions [ all I have]. They seem to have good moldings ,sharp detail and the fit , now they really, really need to get it together  with the instructions. Of note they have you installing the prop spinner which is fine except IF you're doing a Peral Harbor striker, I haven't seen ANY pics that they had them installed , happy to be corrected on this however.

3 hours ago, Borsos said:

Still waiting for my „end of December/beginning of January“ delivery of that kit … :closedeyes:

Where did you order it?

2 hours ago, Borsos said:

From an eBay Shop where I frequently place orders and I never was disappointed. Where have you got yours from? Domino Models?

I waited and waited in vain for Domino. In the end I decided to try my chances at the Far Eastern equivalent of Amazon ;). I got it in 12 days.