Spitfire Mk1. Differences between Mid and Late

1 hour ago, DonH said:

iCxwBjC.jpg?1

Let it go. Agree to disagree.

I apologise, my mistake, that is the original Supermarine drawing actually from 1935. It is the one piece wing with no separate wingtip which has a 3 1/2 inch wider wingspan [ie the same span as K5054] than the drawing with the detachable wingtip used for production aircraft.

Edited by 19squadron

8 minutes ago, 19squadron said:

I apologise, my mistake, that is the original Supermarine drawing actually from 1935.

Thank you, I appreciate it.

I was not aware of the difference, it is great to learn new stuff about this lovely aircraft.

For Clarity's sake ;-

K5054's wingspan is given variously between 37ft and 37ft and 1/2 inch, the same as the single piece  Spitfire wing in drawing MAC 2620 [37ft]

in 1936 the Airmin issued a requirement for a redesign for both Hurricane and Spitfire wings for detachable wingtips, since it was felt that they were going to get damaged in service and a wingtip was an easier and cheaper remedy rather than an entire wing change. The result was the production wing with a detachable wingtip and a reduced span of 36ft 10inches for the Spitfire. This wingtip was of the form shown in the photograph I posted and has 4 radii in the wingtip curve. K5054 had two pure curves and a simpler shape.

Edited by 19squadron

I for one think the Kotare release seems great.

I'm by far and away no Spitty expert, but it seems so far top of the class as far as 1/32nd offerings go since absolutely no model is perfect.

Having built a couple other spit models (obviously not the same mark) the Kotare release seems a breath of fresh air comparatively.

Of course I'm one of those modelers who are not really bothered by any of the minutiae being off.

5 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

I'd be very happy to see more images of the Hasegawa model shown earlier to illustrate a point. Did you build that Simon?

I believe it's a build by Arie Donker, featured here back in Sep '13:

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=1699

06.jpg

Iain

I'm sure readers could easily have clicked on the link I provided to see the images - or if you'd posted a link originally.

But it's a lovely build, isn't it!

If you're arguing that the Hasegawa IIa (that was based on their earlier Vb with retooled wings - and released at one point by Revell, prior to their newly tooled, but poor, 2014 Mk.IIa release) is a better starting point for an early Spit than the Kotare kits, then you've completely lost me I'm afraid.

I built several of the Hasegawa IIa kits back in the day - it was a big step forward in the scale for early Spits at the time - that build really isn't straight kit (the wing and fuselage riveting/engraving for a start) - and the Kotare kits are a far better starting point than the Hasegawa kits in my humble opinion.

And I'd be surprised if you find the Hasegawa kit (or the Revell release of it) for £20 these days.

Blue skies,

Iain

Spitfire-Mk-Ia-RAF-41-Sqn-EBQ-Eric-Lock-

Erik Locke in front of R6885 1940. P8209 was a MkIIa that was never issued to either 41 or 611 Squadrons, but forget that it is a very nicely made model from a well-established and affordable kit.

Edited by 19squadron
addition of pic