A Birdcage in Turtle Bay - An F4U-1 Diorama

ChuckD

Hi, all.  Making progress this weekend, but it doesn't look like we'll make it over the finish line today. 

This is how most of the weekend has been spent.  Holy smokes there are a lot of decals on this beast, including 10 of my least favorite kinds of decals... Long, narrow lines.  The walkway demarcation on each wing is 5 separate pieces, two of which are just long, narrow lines, and two others are long, narrow "L" shaped decals.  I'd considered painting them, but opted against it.  In the end, they went down okay and are relatively straight.  So, hooray.  I also discovered that I've misplaced my reverse grip tweezers which are a critical tool for my decal process, so improvise, adapt, overcome and thus you see a hobby knife dunked in the decal water.  :/  Oh well, it worked out okay.

PXL-20240218-151612291.jpg

After the decals were sealed in with another clear coat, I did a pin wash with some burnt umber oil paint.  It's subtle, but it turned out nicely.

PXL-20240218-195825597.jpg

PXL-20240218-195936172.jpg

Lastly, I tried recreating that bizarro faded or repainted patch just forward of the canopy as seen here.  It doesn't look to me like the typical fuel staining found in that area and almost looks like an area of paint has been applied.  Perhaps, painted over an area of paint damaged by fuel?  I don't know.  No color photos exist of this photo session, so I have no idea what color it actually is.

JVKR7dQ.jpg

I tried to do it initially with airbrushing when I was base coating the plane, but it did not turn out well at all.  It looked absolutely artificial.  So, I went after it with very light blue oil paints today and I think it turned out reasonably close.
PXL-20240218-195810836.jpg

PXL-20240218-195851466.jpg

I'm going to let those dry for a day or two then get to the proper weathering.  Depending on how my week plays out, I may be able to wrap it up before this weekend.

The armored glass in front of the gunsight complicated matters significantly, but I was able to get it out.  As a bonus, I managed to scratch the canopy in front of the armored glass too.  I then had to wiggle a tiny paintbrush with some Future on it to clean up the scratches.  Worked like a champ.

Good thing, because....

She's done.

F4-U-1-Final-01.jpg

Wow that paint job is insane, i felt heartbroken when you had to redo the wing, but then you managed to replicate the same amazing finish ...mind blown 2nd time! 

cant wait to see your next project