Trumpeter F-105G - Comments, Suggestions and Aftermarket Bits

John1

As some of you may have noticed, I posted a couple of weeks back that my favorite LHS is shutting down after 50 years.    I swung up there today and sitting on the shelf was the Trumpy F-105G for $70.    I couldn't resist.   The Thud has always been on my long-term "to build" list, I had no intention of starting one anytime in the near future but since the price was so right, here I am.    BTW, this thing is freakin' big.    

Anway, I know nothing about this kit.   Just wondering if anyone has tips on it's accuracy, how to build it, recommended aftermarket bits and most importantly - decals.   I'll be in rough shape if I bought this thing and turns out no one made any decals for it.    

I was actually thinking about doing an F-105F (in the early war overall silver scheme) but for this version, I'm pretty sure there are no decals out there.  

Any and all info is greatly appreciated. 

John-

Just like any kit out there, you can really get into the weeds with aftermarket. It just depends on how deep you want to go. Out of the box, it won't be mistaken for anything other than a THUD. If accuracy bugs you, there are a few corrections out there:

Cutting Edge, GT Resin and ResKit both make corrected/replacement tails with associated rudders. The kit one has some shape issues, but in full disclosure, I'm not sure what they are.

GT Resin makes a "fuselage correction" set that contains a new nose cone, underside tail fairing, and some other bumps and lumps. Quickboost also makes the underside tail fairing correction. GT Resin also makes a "super set" that will cost you more than you spent on your kit.

ResKit are in the process of releasing new pylons for the whole bird. The kit ones are a little basic, and are missing some fittings. The ResKit ones correct some of these omissions/simplicities. 

Aires makes a cockpit set, but your mileage may vary. Aires stuff often suffers from shrinkage issues and don't fit properly. You'll also find your usual suspects for interior aftermarket, like Eduard and Quinta.

Aftermarket wheels are a must. Fisher made some once upon a time, but now ResKit makes some as well that are quite nice.

Unfortunately, you're right about decals. There's nothing out there. The closest I know of are a Cutting Edge Sheet that have a two-seat F-105F, but alas, I don't know of anything offered for the G. Might have to smooth talk one of your peers here to make some masks for you if you fancy something other than what's in the box.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I can remember right off the top of my head, and after doing some minor research on Hannants and eBay.

Best of luck to you. It's a big, big model, that's for sure. But there's nothing quite like THUD.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Like most builds, it comes down to what you think is important or can be ignored. I have seen straight out of the box builds on the 105's that look spectacular. I have seen builds where the builder replaced the forward fuselage with the Collect Air part. and everything in between. I have been planning a D build and collected everything I could get my hands on. Basically, there are the standard "make it better" stuff like new wheel wells, wheels,cockpit and burner available from various sources. Then there are the "shaped wrong" areas that may or may not bother you. The most touched on are the nose, vertical stab and ventral fin shapes. There are replacements available for all thee. Apparently the vertical stab shape for the G is a little more off than that of the D. Also, and this might be the harder thing to find, apparently the weight of the built model,over time, can overwhelm the landing gear. I believe SAC makes a white metal set for it, but I have never trusted white metal too much, and I was fortunate enough to just yesterday receive a set of brass gear by G Factor that are OOP. For the vertical stab and burner there is Reskit, plus Cutting Edge can be found on e-bay. Cockpit by Quinta,Red Fox, Aries maybe Blackbox/Avionix? Wheels by Reskit, or Fisher from time to time on the forums and e-bay. Wheel bays from Aires and Avionix. Apparently the cross section of the spine is off, too slab sided or something. Cutting Edge did a correction for this with replacement canopy. I have it but not sure I will bother to use it.I'm sure there's more but those are the most obvious.Also, to do an F would take some surgery, as the G kit has the molded sensor bulges on the fuselage sides that the F didn't have.

Edited by eoyguy

4 minutes ago, John1 said:

Been going dome Googling, saw a really nice decal set from Zotz.   Just gotta figure out if it’s available or not.    

Fingers crossed.  

And this set that has a pretty well known F-105F on it, former Cutting Edge:

https://fineartofdecals.com/goodiess/?product=ced32047-f-105-fancy-girls-nr-2

Edited by eoyguy

One thing that concerned me with some of the resin correction stuff is that it mostly is applied to the aft fuselage. That drives the overall weight of the kit up and its in the rear, which is where it is least wanted. It would require significant weight in the nose to offset the severe aft moment, thus making a heavy model, heavier. This would make brass gear a must in my opinion. 

Mark Proulx

hi

The shape of the canopy is a vicious problem. Many people are unaware of this problem and live with it. In fact, the canopy has a circular shape, instead of that of the kit which is semi-circular. (The kit frame is too wide open, while it should be "tighten" at its base... I don’t know how to explain it, it’s very subtle, just look closely and compare the kit part and the real thing. but like I said, we can live with this problem

maybe this photo can help to understand my says 

Cutting edge made this correction a time ago 

Alain

12cf1d7b1535dc212dd72af17ced365d.jpg

Without saying much, as I already have far too many outstanding project commitments, this aircraft is still in my plans. Especially u/c and canopy. The Cutting edge canopy did not really fix the issue. The canopy issue in the kit is it is not OMEGA shaped as it should be, the problem many kits have due to the difficulty of moulding that shape, especially injection moulding the shape unless slide moulds are used, which obviously gets a lot more expensive.

6 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Without saying much, as I already have far too many outstanding project commitments, this aircraft is still in my plans. Especially u/c and canopy. The Cutting edge canopy did not really fix the issue. The canopy issue in the kit is it is not OMEGA shaped as it should be, the problem many kits have due to the difficulty of moulding that shape, especially injection moulding the shape unless slide moulds are used, which obviously gets a lot more expensive.

It's up to you about the canopy

I think I'm out of luck on this one.   I jumped at this purchase, figuring that there would be at least a few aftermarket decal options.   Apparently, there is only one (the Cutting Edge sheet only offers a single F model and it's not really a subject that works for me).   I saw this set which looks awesome but it's not available at any of the usual online retailers, E-Bay, etc, etc.   Is Zotz even still in business?   

The Modelling News: Zotz 1/32 "The F-105F/G in Vietnam – Wild Weasels II at War” decal sheet reviewed

I recall reading somewhere that the wing tips of the F (similar to the D) were different than the G. The G wing tips had antennas and relocated navigational lights. More inform members here will either correct or confirm the recollection of my fading memory. :P