JMP Chevrolet G7107

LSP_Kevin

Thanks, fellas. I've done a quick test with the wheels on, and it seems to sit OK, though I could only fit the inner ones at the rear. I've been enjoying tinkering with this one so much that I've actually started the only other vehicle kit in my stash, which also happens to be a resin kit! But I'll start another thread about that.

Kev

55 minutes ago, chrish said:

I’d say not to fuss too much over axle alignment. I don’t know how many full size real trucks (ok, old bugger trucks) I’ve seen where the axle has slipped off the leaf spring centering pin and allows the axle to go forward of the pin, some as much as 3 inches out of alignment with no real indication of a problem until you look out the side view mirrors and see the truck “dog tracking”  behind you

It’s either that or the gomer who put the lift kit in got some of the parts turned around.  Seen that more than once too.

More progress on the G7107 truck today. Firstly, I finished added the remaining parts to the tray:

VHYdZW.jpg

I was alarmed afterwards to discover that the tray itself was noticeably warped, but I was able to remove most of it with a hair dryer. The PE handles are oversized, but still contribute a handy sense of visual detail.

Next up, adding the bumper and associated details to the front of the chassis:

FeeJh8.jpg

It's also a bit lopsided, but I can live with that. I did manage to knock the steering wheel off again, however! It seems to stand on its wheels OK at this point.

The next job was to add the front grille to the cab, along with PE grab handles on the inside:

umBOtV.jpg

The resin grille piece is not a great cast, or a great fit, and fragile as all get out. I've broken or cracked it several times already, so we'll just have to put it down to battle damage. I've also started fashioning the clear windows from blister pack plastic, with the one for the right door shown fitted in the photo above (a bit hard to see, I know). This was the most demanding part of the project so far, and I still have the other door plus the windscreen to go!

More to come...

Kev

Finally got the basic Olive Drab coats on today:

OrMEu9.jpg

Working with slow-drying enamel paints is a long-forgotten pain, and I can already see a spot I need to touch up around the window frame on the cab. Even though I really like the colour, I'll be glad to see the back of this Model Master paint.

I also did what I could with the dashboard:

28uErt.jpg

I'll touch up the cab, and then I'll have to wait for the damned enamel paint to cure! I've got some other details I can work on while I wait, however.

More soon!

Kev

So it turns out that the dashboard in this kit is a simple resin copy of the one from the Italeri CCKW Water Truck kit, as evidenced by my friend Damian Rigby's example from earlier this year:

ann85D.jpg

Apart from the tabs at the bottom, they're identical! I wonder if the wheels were copied from that kit too?

Kev

Just a quick update to note that I got the glass installed in the G7107 cab today, which I cut from acetate sheet. My glue job wasn't the best unfortunately, but it certainly suits the overall vibe of this project! The windscreen is just sitting in place for a test fit; I'll fix it permanently after the cab is joined to the chassis and the resulting gaps sorted. That's the next job!

HYnJDc.jpg

S5lcKK.jpg

More soon!

Kev

We're getting down to the business end of things now, with the cab permanently installed and the gaps along the fenders being dealt with:

B5AoOG.jpg

3AvSoI.jpg

I started with Milliput, followed by a heavy daubing of Mr. Surfacer 500. Once it had started to cure, I wiped the excess away with some Mr. Color Thinner on some cotton buds. This created a bit of a mess, and in hindsight I probably should have used one of the acrylic putties, which can be wiped away with water. That's what I'll do if these gaps need any more work.

Once this is all done, I can finish the painting and start on the weathering. But since I'm way out of my comfort zone, I'd appreciate any tips you guys can sure on weathering vehicles! I used the "magic wash" on the chassis and tray, and it darkened everything considerably, so I'll skip that step for the cab.

Kev

Such damned acetate windows to cut are always a pain. Here's a trick to solve part of the issue: replicate the door windows in a partly down position and you will not have to worry for the perfect adjustment! You still have to solve the windshield and rear window issue but at least the pain in divided by two! ;)

10 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

Such damned acetate windows to cut are always a pain. Here's a trick to solve part of the issue: replicate the door windows in a partly down position and you will not have to worry for the perfect adjustment! You still have to solve the windshield and rear window issue but at least the pain in divided by two! ;)

I thought about that, but decided they'd just look like they were plonked onto the door sill, rather than being retracted into the door itself. Plus, I wanted to obscure the interior as much as possible, which is why I didn't try very hard to find pristine acetate! Luckily, the rear window has a rectangular recess to fit into on the inside, which made things pretty simple. With the windscreen, I just cut it out so that it forms a backing across the entire piece, which is why the windscreen itself now sticks out a little further than I would like. But it seems you can't have everything! I think the windscreen on the Dodge truck will present even more of a challenge.

Kev