Les Chevaliers du ciel (Sky Fighters) Movie

Dave Williams

Anyone one seen this?  It’s sort of in the Top Gun and Iron Eagle vein.  Plot is pretty unbelievable, but the aerial action is pretty spectacular.  A lot of Mirage 2000 action, plus an Alpha Jet flying around the French Alps.  Very little CGI.  Not sure they’d do the scene where the supermodel F-15 exchange pilot does a striptease on the wing of a French F4U Corsair for the boys in a current movie, though.  Watched it on Tubi (listed under the American title).

*SPOILER WARNING* The trailer gives a lot of the plot away, but probably not a lot of people are watching it for the plot.

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Very little CGI.

There was none at all. It didn’t exist at the time (the 70s). :P What you see in the series are real airplanes filmed on authentic  locations, mainly French and Belgian airbases.
Les Chevaliers du Ciel TV series originated from the French comics Tanguy and Laverdure which started in the early 1960’s. Whole generations of French-speaking readers (including myself) owe their love of aviation to those books.

Watch French Mirage III and F-104s of the Belgian Air Force in this clip from season 3:

Well, let's face it, "les chevaliers du ciel" is a film that doesn't break 3 legs on a duck in terms of storytelling, but it does have the merit of showing "real" aerial scenes, and in that respect it's quite remarkable.
The Armée de l'Air graciously participated in the film, and benefited from the media fallout, as I imagine "Top Gun" did in the USA.
This film is based on a comic strip from the 60s, very famous in France: "Les Aventures de Tanguy et Laverdure", which recounts the aerial adventures of 2 French Air Force pilots.

It was the stuff of childhood memories, and no stranger to my 39-year vocation in this fine institution!
This comic strip was then turned into a TV series in the 70s, another in the 90s and finally this film.

bd710db7c40e6135cfb85cf20a7fa752.png

TanguyEtLaverdure08EODargaud.jpg

276621.jpg

48605080-960c-41e6-b415-20f89655597d.jpg

Edited by Furie

Ah well. It’s a modern remake obviously on the footsteps of the ludicrous Top Gun movies.
The TV series and comics were much better dream-inducing vehicles, at least to this hazy-eyed old timer. 

This 1963 album cover incited me to buy the recent 1/48 Special Hobby/Fromm release. Don’t ask me why :P

IMG-3912.jpg

Edited by quang

10 minutes ago, quang said:

Ah well. It’s a modern remake obviously on the footsteps of the ludicrous Top Gun movies.
The TV series and comics were much better dream-inducing vehicles, at least to this hazy-eyed old timer. :P

Yes they were probably terrific through the eyes of sixties teenagers but they aged terribly!!! I have the DVDs and except the good colour snapshots of sixties planes and some nostalgia, there is nothing else that stays really valuable nowadays. :(

3 hours ago, Furie said:

Nostalgia, when you hold us!
Remember those TV series about aviation?

- Les Faucheurs de marguerites / The Daisy Reapers

- Le Temps des as / Time of the aces

- La Conquête du ciel / Conquest of the Sky

- L'Adieu aux as / Farewell to Aces

I do! No doubt they heavily contributed when I'm thinking when I started to be interested in flying objects.:rolleyes:

I do remember both the TV-series and I have all the comic albums they translated to swedish.

IMG_5825

They are old now (from the -70´s) and I still read them now and then.

I love these albums and the original TV-show where they flew the Mirage IIIC.

Stefan :beer: