1/32 Trumpeter P-38L 'Scat II'

David Mooney

I've had this kit sitting about for a while and thought i'd have ago at it, after a bit of research i found that a lot said its bit of a pig to build........and they're right. But, there is a great reward if you can pull the thing around. The fit is 'iffy' and if i built it again (which i will) i'd certainly attack it differently, but thats the learning process of modelling.

So here is the Trumpeter&HobbyBoss 1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

Kit additions:

Red Fox Studio set, Aires wheels, MASTER gun set.

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

1/32 P-38L 'Scat II'

Hope you like it, i am quite happy with it considering how difficult it was to get made. All Comments and questions welcome 

6 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Wow - fantastic build and finish - love it!

You mentioned some issues with fit and that if you build another you would go about it differently - just curious if you could expand on that? I like to keep notes on future builds I am planning and the P-38 is one of those....

X2 please

20 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Wow - fantastic build and finish - love it!

You mentioned some issues with fit and that if you build another you would go about it differently - just curious if you could expand on that? I like to keep notes on future builds I am planning and the P-38 is one of those....

14 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

X2 please

There are three big issues with this kit and many smaller ones that are easy to sort out with just filler and super glue and sanding. 

The canopy parts come up slightly short when assembling them, so you have to be careful with placement. I placed the rear and mid sections and then slightly re-shaped the frontal section which closed the canopy sections up but leaves a gap between the canopy and gun bay doors, this can then be filled, sanded and re-scribed and re-riveted.

The wing span of the P-38 is quite considerable and trumpeter didnt add any reinforcement spars to prevent the wing bending, the wings flex quite considerably when the build is finished, and that mostly because the masses of weight needed in the nose to prevent it being a tail sitter. So, when i build another i will certainly add some sort of structure working its way across from the inboard  section to the outboard. Ok, this flex might not sound like too much of an issue but the issue is that if you want the u/c to be vertical it may bow in/out at the final stages and obviously put more strain on the wing joints. 

The final issue is that i wanted to build the kit with the gun bays open, this is a real issue and i still dont know how you can do it and one i'd really need to test. The issue comes in the fact that the majority of the nose bay is full of ballast, i had to leave a fair few parts out to fit the weight in so currently i cant answer this one. 

Thank you to everyone on their kind comments 

Good to see one of the lesser-known units modelled, albeit with a famous pilot who served in the Suffolk area twice - once at Wattisham as shown here, and later down the road at Bentwaters with the 81st TFW.

Very good model, well done. :goodjob:

Very good looking kit, wish i can finish mine that way (started years ago, dahhhh :BANGHEAD2: ) but i used the old Revell lightning propellors which IMHO looked better than the ones Trumpeter provided in the kit, what do you think?

cheers,

Jack

Great build, David!! Truly a challenging build, but rewarding when finished. When i downsized and scrapped over 40 builds, i kept 4, one being the Trumpeter Lightning. Couldn't scrap it after all the work and i really liked the finished build.

Don