Macchi 202 Issues

Mark P

1 hour ago, Thunnus said:

Accuracy is definitely a matter of inches/st millimeters, in my opinion.  Model accuracy has nothing to do with a portrait artist painting human faces, which are natural creations.  Aircraft are mass-produced machines that are built according to a set of plans. The plans have measurements comprised of inches or millimeters.  If it is built according to plan, the proportions will follow.  Proportion does not drive design but is a result of it.  The most accurate model, in most cases, would be based on the plans.

Let’s get this straight. I don’t build models for scientific purposes, for museum display or to show my manual abilities. I don’t have such ambitions.

I build models because as a child I dreamed of airplanes and the men who flew them. My goal is to see these childhood visions take shape. For that I don’t travel around wielding plans and toting a slide rule. I’d just be happy if my models fit my visions. Nothing more. :)

9 minutes ago, quang said:

Let’s get this straight. I don’t build models for scientific purposes, for museum display or to show my manual abilities. I don’t have such ambitions.

I build models because as a child I dreamed of airplanes and the men who flew them. My goal is to see these childhood visions take shape. For that I don’t travel around wielding plans and toting a slide rule. I’d just be happy if my models fit my visions. Nothing more. :)

You sir are right on target! I feel exactly the same way. I used to do competitions [before covid] and surprising no one more than myself , I actually would get a award , trophy what have you[ doesn't really mean squat]. The point is , I didn't build for competitions, I build for myself first and foremost. Now if someone else likes what I did ,fine ,if not, that's fine too. When a person starts to build to please someone else it sucks the life out the hobby [ at least it does for me].  You do very good work and by default you're following things from a technical point though that isn't you're driving force , it just happens that way. Slide rules ?! THAT takes me back to my school years, it was a class all by it's self just to be able to use the thing! I still got mine!

12 minutes ago, quang said:

I can be as technical as the next person (especially when it suits me) but the slide rule remains a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

Same here, brother. My kids laughed at my slide rule said it was ancient, I reminded them that they designed the SR-71 and flew to the moon on slide rules so watch yer mouths[them]. I remember having to do a calculus problem with one ,took forever![ I was never a whizz at it]

5 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Considering there isn't a complete Macchi C.202 in existence, that's going to be a wee bit difficult, and talking of time travel, I wouldn't need to go to Zaragoza in the 1930's, measure the painting "Ecco Homo", then tomorrow and repeat the task to determine that the "restoration" isn't quite as accurate as it could have been, see photos below.

o-BEAST-facebook.jpg

Apples with oranges but good one anyways. Well no original then get the nail file out on the extra nose length make it whatever looks good to your eye. 

The 21C 202 and 205 have the exact same spinner.  .764 dia , .734 length.

From 1/32 that's 24.448" X 23.488", not a yooge difference from the drawing.

12 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Same here, brother. My kids laughed at my slide rule said it was ancient, I reminded them that they designed the SR-71 and flew to the moon on slide rules so watch yer mouths[them]. I remember having to do a calculus problem with one ,took forever![ I was never a whizz at it]

I have a slide rule, it belonged to my Dad who (incidently) was an instrumentation technician on the SR-71, YF-12A at Edwards.

He got a kick out of starting one up once.

• 2 weeks later...

Just cuz I obsess on Macchis, and y'all have piqued my interest in this detail...!

Nose of the world's most original C.202, at the NASM in DC (DB 601 engine, with Piaggio P.1001 prop). Note the thickness of the spinner's base section, and subtly tapered curve of the spinner cap.

IMG-4138.jpg

Nose of the C.205 at Vigna di Valle (DB 605 + P.2001 prop). The spinner is subtly - but completely - different, because the heftier propeller is mounted further forward. The base section is longer, and the spinner cap is more rounded and bulged, to accommodate the hub.

IMG-4136.jpg

Nose of the C.202 at Vigna di Valle (old photo in its previous paint). It appears to combine the thinner C.202 base, and correct P.1001 prop, with a cap either modified from a C.205, or (more likely IMHO) made up in the museum workshop. Looks good, but not a source of accurate original dimensions for either aircraft.

IMG-4137.jpg

In my opinion, the Aero Detail book contains the most accurate and best-detailed Macchi drawings. They are 1/48 scale, usefully include the whole C.200/202/205 "family" drawn by the same team, and accurately reflect the differences seen in the photos. For whatever my skill in reading a scale by naked eyeball is worth, per these drawings the real-life spinner lengths are about 570mm for the C.202 and 590mm for the C.205 (17.8mm, 18.4mm in 1/32).

C.202

IMG-4142.jpg

C.205

IMG-4139.jpg

Edited by MDriskill

Great input @MDriskill 

Like you, I made the same observation about the thickness of the baseplate and the curve of the spinner cap.

So I modified the kit part by slightly (1mm) shortening the spinner cap and giving it a slight bulge to make it look closer to the NASM picture.

BEFORE

IMG-3645.jpg

AFTER
IMG-3817.jpg

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang

On 9/23/2023 at 11:11 AM, Kagemusha said:

image.thumb.png.05adb37643dce55fd158d0f1ca263db9.png

image.png

The replacement spinner is for the Veltro.

I'm getting old.  I saw this photo and jogged my memory.  I didn't think I had this set.  Lo and behold I do along with a 21st Century spinner.  I don't remember getting these items at all!