Maj. Yohei Hinoki's Ki-100 -- Finished

denders

1 hour ago, denders said:

Thanks guys.

I printed another version last evening with some corrections and spent some time this afternoon working out what to change to get a positive location for it in the fuselage. I have another change that I'm pondering before I print another test.

Edit: P.S. I'm not wild about transparent green, it's just what came when I ordered resin with the printer.

That's always the problem, you print the part and realise there is a change to make, which means another print. I did the same yesterday for one of the pieces I am testing out on my 1/24 109, the print was great at 0.02mm layer height, though I wonder if turning AA on would make a difference..... maybe I should change a small part & print again as well as put AA on :blink:

Geez the transparent resin makes it difficult to see the results doesn't it. I got Smokey Black with my printer and it's exactly the same, hard to see until the paint goes down. Kinda wish I had grey but then again being free the price was right.

Thanks, Alain and Troy. I don't have that book, although every time it comes up in conversation, I say "I have that book" until I go look for it. I did it again today. :rolleyes:

I do have a couple of photos that show that spinner extension and I've added a piece to my printed parts to add it to the AlleyCat spinner.

The first picture is the AlleyCat supplied engine and the second picture is the AlleyCat propeller. The 1/8" tube is something I added to be able to handle the propeller for painting, etc. (It's not glued in place.) You can get an idea of how AlleyCat was representing that spinner extension. The rear of the propeller/spinner went into the large opening on the engine.

0Wm7rh.jpg

7lEGFK.jpg

I did my last pre-build parts printing and testing today. Not all the cylinder heads printed correctly because I overlooked some supports that the slicing program didn't automatically add, this time. :shrug: The front row only has 6 cylinder heads. I shortened all the cylinders, slightly, so they would all fit without having to grind out the inside of the fuselage to fit.

mgfK3u.jpg

v3GUcI.jpg

4bjZGG.jpg

2OZLKm.jpg

Not everything is positioned properly in this photo but it gives the idea of how much will be visible.

OnD36Z.jpg

The printed engine is going to sit on the backs of the exhaust pieces, once they're glued in position. And I'm not sure that they're aligned or if I'll have to add a little to one of them to get the engine to sit properly. I'm also pondering how I'm going to work this out with the exhaust pieces and masking them while I do the fuselage painting. Hmmm.

I still need to work out the position of the wing, as mentioned earlier, too.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

Edited by denders

Dave,

I feel a bit guilty that I initially pointed out the issue with the engine ... but you are doing tremendous work to fix this and it looks just great.

I can not wait to see some paint on your engine so that all details get reviled.

Keep it up :thumbsup:

Thanks, guys. Loic, no problem, I just assumed that the conversion kit was correct. And while I didn't really like the representation of the engine, I was just going to go with it.

We were away last week, as noted elsewhere.

The printer is doing its thing as I type. Another 3 hours or so.

Okay, I've been making adjustments to things. The translucent green resin is all used up, yay! Although, the gray I'm using now is supposed to be the same, but.... I've had to make some setting adjustments to get everything on the build plate to come out. But I've started assembling the engine. The plug wires are lead wire.

BfapgY.jpg

And just for the fun of it, I applied some simple materials and made a render of the engine model.

ge7gYW.jpg

Onward! But I probably won't get much done this week. Grandsons the next two days, then Thanksgiving is here.

Soooo..... progress.

Here's the engine with all the plug wires and pushrods in place and a coat of primer.

GKF1dM.jpg

Next a coat of MRP Super Silver.

3VmeyY.jpg

And the plug wires painted. Most of the engine appears to not have any paint. So the plan for today was to put on a coat of X-22 and then a wash to bring out the details. But it's been raining off and on and I don't like to put the paint booth exhaust in the window when it's raining.

qPaPSf.jpg

So, I spent some time last evening and this afternoon working on that Gundam kit that I had shown elsewhere. Something different, just assembling. That has become a bust. There are assemblies with moving parts on a sprue. Some of the directions instruct you to pull some of the pieces apart and replace them later, after other parts are placed. Well, in the process of working on the left arm, one of those parts to be removed, didn't remove, it broke. So I went through the online process with Bandai asking for a new part. I guess I'll see what happens.

Okay, the engine is done.

T9k3kf.jpg

Now to add the cockpit and exhausts into the fuselage and get all the seams taken care of. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to get the exhausts masked when I get to painting but I'm sure I'll figure something out. The wing center section will be next and I think I need to make some slight adjustments. I haven't decided about changing the wing position (2.5mm) or just let it alone.