Maj. Yohei Hinoki's Ki-100 -- Finished

denders

So, I printed the parts while I was doing other chores this morning.

n7z6mU.jpg

The crankcase pieces didn't come out. I imagine I need more supports or heavier supports. I lost one cylinder and a couple of the pushrod assemblies. The cylinders are probably acceptable because there won't be much to see inside the cowling, but I'm going to see if I can improve on them.

Great job! For the guys who cannot solve this themselves I can confirm the Infinity engine of the Val can be used! The front row of cylinders fits the cowling without problem. However, adding the second row requires grinding some resin. You will probably have to do the same to add your scratchprinted  parts. 

Thanks, Thierry. I'm guessing I may have to do that. I'll see once I've got a good set of parts. It's been an experimentation. I had gotten the printer a year ago??? and started working on items, then I let it drop, feeling like I just wanted to build stuff.

I've created a piece that, in theory, should sit on the exhaust pieces, once in place to position the engine the right depth in the cowling. I haven't worked out how I'm going to position it yet. But, I'm also learning the support size and positioning as well as making the pieces so they create less stress on the supports, etc. while printing. I've ended up with the beginnings of some parts stuck to the FEP.

Another set of parts. The cylinders look better, but I'm not sure how they'll look with paint on them. All the parts did print successfully, though. :D I'll work on assembling them tomorrow and see how it goes, what it looks like. I already think the governor is too small. There are extra cylinders and pushrods there. This is the first time with the crankcase and gearbox all in one piece with extra to theoretically touch the back of the open space in the fuselage. Who knows, in the end I may just adapt these pieces to replicate a piece like the AlleyCat part (with 7 cylinders :whistle:) to make life simpler. But it's good experience.

nHnOUU.jpg

Well, first assembly, some changes needed. It's raining here, so I don't want to put the paint booth exhaust in the window to put some paint on it. Please ignore the hole for the prop shaft, I didn't leave a sufficient starting point for drilling. The rear part for how I was thinking I was going to mount it inside the fuselage is too small, it passes through the opening. It may be too short too. I've also noticed in the photos that when I combined the crank case and gear housing into one piece, I forgot to copy over some details too. Testing fit, as Thierry mentioned above, I may have to grind out a little inside the fuselage to get the second row of cylinders to fit and be able to close the fuselage. Onward!

V8U5In.jpgeMnmRl.jpg

Thanks guys.

I printed another version last evening with some corrections and spent some time this afternoon working out what to change to get a positive location for it in the fuselage. I have another change that I'm pondering before I print another test.

Edit: P.S. I'm not wild about transparent green, it's just what came when I ordered resin with the printer.

Edited by denders