The (DR.) I's have it!

Gazzas

Hello friends.

I made a few opening works on the Fokker.   

What hey?  MvR in pieces!

aCUJXR.jpg

First of all...   the figure was really bothering me.  Not only was he too tall...   but the proportions weren't sitting with me.  The calves were clearly too long.  And further study and contemplation revealed that the distance from navel to crotch and navel to shoulders were too big.  And for all of the world, he looked like a tightly-wound British officer.

FbWS0k.jpg

So, I removed 2mm from the skirts of the jacket and 1.5mm from the calves.  But there was still something wrong.  And it dawned on me it was his cap.  it didn't look like a WWI German cap at all.  It looked more like an officer's cap from later years.  So, I pared it down all-the-way-around, and shortened the bill, too.

Now my MvR looks a bit more like Christopher Walken than some uptight parson from the local vicarage.  And he fits better with the painted figure size-wise.

I imagine that the interior of the plane was CDL with the red tint of the red dope showing through.   I don't quite know how I will capture the look.  But here is the interior of the cockpit halves as they are.

O3Cabs.jpg

Either way, much of it will be hidden among the dark cockpit furnishings.

I annealed then glued the seat belts to the seat.  Did the wood grain thing, and painted the Oberursel engine.

buNONg.jpg

I painted the engine black and dry brushed the details with a slightly copper colored metallic paint.  I wanted to get the look of that cooked on castor oil.  I also did a couple washes on the exhaust pipes to give them a warmed look.  Then...   I decided I needed to add plug wires...   So, I'll do that next.  Lots of brush painting to do...

Stay tuned...

Edited by Gazzas

Don’t wish to rain on your parade, but the “red dope showing through” to the inner surface of the fabric covering ANY of MvR’s Tripes is highly unlikely. The red pigment was applied to an already painted/sealed factory finish.  

Edited by Rob Owens

2 hours ago, Rob Owens said:

Don’t wish to rain on your parade, but the “red dope showing through” to the inner surface of the fabric covering ANY of MvR’s Tripes is highly unlikely. The red pigment was applied to an already painted/sealed factory finish.  

Au contraire mon frere.  I am modelling MvR's final machine.    425/17  Which isn't covered with the kit decals .  It, like Goering's all-white D.VIIF was a custom factory paint job.  Below is a photo of a trophy collected by the Aussies and stored at the Australian War Memorial museum:

3830338.JPG

They shot it down...   Apparently the bloke given the job of keeping trophy collectors away didn't do a very good job.

Edited by Gazzas

21 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Au contraire mon frere.  I am modelling MvR's final machine.    425/17  Which isn't covered with the kit decals .  It, like Goering's all-white D.VIIF was a custom factory paint job.  Below is a photo of a trophy collected by the Aussies and stored at the Australian War Memorial museum:

3830338.JPG

They shot it down...   Apparently the bloke given the job of keeping trophy collectors away didn't do a very good job.

I’ll tell anyone to never pass up on the opportunity to visit the Australian War Memorial, it’s a incredibly interesting museum-place to visit.

Hi friends,

Done with the cockpit tub and the engine.

O2HjkG.jpg

IJVQVx.jpg

G4enF4.jpg

All of the works were done with acrylics.  I could have rigged the controls.  But I have done it before and I don't believe it added anything to the build except the chance to put unwanted glue blobs around.  The decals for the dials and compass weren't quite as nice as WNW decals...   but better than I could paint myself.  I may add another wash on the seat belts which you might think are very dark. 

But you can see, that they are not lighter than the Feldgrau on the pilots uniform below.

nTYnqP.png

Happy modelling!

• 2 weeks later...

G'day LSP'ers.

Most of the construction is done that can be done before paint is applied.  Though I haven't touched the MG's.  There is no real point in showing you gray plastic shapes, because soon you'll see them with technique applied.

But what I have done is work on the pilot.  A couple hours with oils has yielded me this:

CAawFB.jpg

I'm not perfectly happy with the face, but I refuse to redo it too many times.  The jawline is horribly shaped in relation to the upper neck.  This is most noticeable in the side views.  And hair...   well, that's one of those skills I have yet to master.  But from a couple feet away with my glasses off...   he looks like a man.  IN a week, once the oils have dried, I'll do more to his hair with acrylics when I do the uniform.

3 minutes ago, denders said:

I would probably struggle to get it even to that state.

Well....   mine didn't always look like this.  But, the more you do, the easier it is.  But redoing is a path to madness.  So, once I get to a certain point, I say "Eff-it" and move on.  I imagine everyone has a talent-ceiling.  But you never know where the ceiling is if you don't make an attempt.

Now for the 'technique I mentioned before.  As I said, I didn't want to be slopping up the outside of the plane with brush strokes and smeared oils.  Of course that meant if I wasn't painting it like a car body, I would have to work under the paint with something akin to pre-shading.

But you can't pre-shade red with black.  It won't look right  And you don't want too sharp contrast between the pre-shading colors and the color of the skin.  So, I used three shades of red-brown to brown to add shape and shadow.  The differences should become vastly minimized when I apply the top coat.

You will also notice some unpainted pieces.  Those pieces will be painted in a metal shade or wood.  The reason for this it that red dope over metal will look different from red dope over fabric...   or wood, in the case of the fairing around the wheel axle.  What will it all look like when I'm done?  Who knows.

I have also done the 'wood' of the laminated propeller.   I didn't want super-contrasting layers like you see some time.  So I went for a more muted look.

FC08b6.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8223/kTroKy.jpg