1/18 Scale P-51B 3D Print Build

JayW

5 hours ago, TAG said:

What exactly are your criteria?

Thanks for asking!!  ETO is my great preference.  NMF I think; I don't really want to do an all OD/gray bird.  Invasion stripes are not a must, but it seems that the B-models that were NMF almost all had the full stripes.  I would guess that by the time they started coming in without OD, it was close to D-day.  And by the time they came off, or were reduced to half, the D-models began to replace.  Spitballing here.... So yeah good with the full invasion stripes.  Markings do not have to be colorful.  And importantly - the nose art has to be do-able.  Not sure what that means, as some folks on LSP can perform magic in that arena, and are willing to  help. 

EDIT - must have unshrouded exhaust stacks.

Edited by JayW

How about a -B that has it all: No invasion stripes, combination of NMF and OD/NG, no complicated nose art, but colorful! Capt John Pugh's P-51B:

2084-entry-12-1651080618.jpg

2084-entry-4-1651080617.jpg

Supposedly, the bizarre nose coloring was a mis-interpretation of the 362nd's decision to go with yellow and red nose checkers. Apparently, it was changed soon after.

I have some great progress to show you - it's been a very good day for the P-51 project.  After a bad day yesterday.  Not long after I posted this pic:  

0BM57E1h.png

I got busy preparing the Rhino dataset for print, along with my updated smiley face casting, and the newly designed exhaust stack.  Here is a shot from the slicer software (Chitubox):

kxy3vLXh.png

This print job took 11 hours to complete, simply due to the height of the cowl part.  11 hours.  When it finished at about 9 PM last night, and after waiting for it all day with bated breath, I found almost immediately that the nose didn't match up properly to the prop spinner.  OMG!!  It suffered a local deformation just like my early prop spinner did.  I show no pictures - it's just too sad.  Otherwise it was perfect.  instead it is unsalvageable - scrap.  The other parts (smiley face, and exhaust stacks) looked great.  So at about 11 PM, I had another print job ready with a re-oriented cowl.  I do not have a picture, but it was oriented straight up, not tilted.  That is how I solved the prop spinner deformity problem.  I let her fly at 11 PM, and at about 10 AM next morning (today), it finished.  

And viola!!  It is about as perfect as I could ever ask for:

WwDkA6kh.jpg

QqwvA1Ch.jpg

I sweated bullets about it, but the re-orientation worked.  Note it is hollow.  That is a good thing, as this part is very large.  

Keep in mind, for those of you who think the exhaust cutouts are too large, that this part is going to be skinned in aluminum.  And the final shape of the cutout will be the edges of the aluminum panels, and correct.  You can see the faint panel lines that I am going to use to trim all the aluminum panels.  

What a relief, after 22 combined hours of printing.  

The other parts:

7cEYibNh.jpg

The previous smiley face test part had raggedy edges; this one does not.  It's as good as it can get.

oQ5wCJCh.jpg

I designed the exhaust stack in about four hours in Rhino.  Just like the drawing.  So easy and so fun, after the nightmare wing-to-fuselage forward fairing, the radiator intake, Malcolm hood, and windshield top part.  Very very hard.  ModelMonkey has 1/18 exhaust stacks too, nice ones, but these were easy enough to do and were compatible with just how I want this thing modelled.  

Close ups:

IoubiWLh.jpg

XOxZvi4h.jpg

Let's see some dry fit action with the prop (which has been sitting around for a while now):

JTO3vSSh.jpg?1

22b9xkFh.jpg?1

I am so tempted to go ahead and skin this thing now, finish the prop, install the stacks, and paint/weather it.  But the more patient modeler would wait.  First things first right?  And, I still must make a final decision as to which subject I will model.  Will the nose be blue?  Or yellow?  Blue has alot of momentum behind it....Cripes A Mighty!  

This is a large milestone because the engine cowling part is the first truly large 3D print part.  And it has to integrate with other big parts, in this case with the firewall, forward fuselage side panels, windshield panel, and wing leading edge beams.  The first of many large complicated parts.  Now what to do next.  I might do that Malcolm hood test part - needs to happen.  And of course - more surfacing behind the radiator.  :BANGHEAD2:    Later!    

Edited by JayW

2 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

That looks spectacular!

For some reason, one of my posts didn't post.

Here is Capt John Pugh's bird later on:

dsc_1361.jpg

Whichever you choose, it is going to be impressive in 1/18th!

Also, here is a similar bird in the same unit:

p51buvehadit.jpg

Great choice, Ray, I also dig this livery!

PS - Jay, note the mismatched tires ;)

lZ97Amf.jpg

Here's another option from the 357th FG, this is "Texas Fire Fly" flown by Aubrey O. Hood. The font is identical to U'VE HAD IT so I'm guessing the same artist did the artwork on both planes.

HhFMEDm.jpg

3 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Whichever you choose, it is going to be impressive in 1/18th!

Honestly - you guys are not making this easy.  I agree some of those 357th FG birds would make great subjects.  Especially U've Had It.   I think though that I am settling on Cripes A Mighty.  And Thunnus is helping me with the nose art.  

National insignias.  For my past large scale efforts, I have mostly used Maketar masks for the US national star and bars insignias.  The website allowed you to specify exactly the star diameter and the length of the total insignia.  Very nice.  But I cannot find that website anymore.  Is it just me?  Does anyone know who else makes custom sized national insignia masks?