Early Mk.I Spit available to preorder from Kotare, in stock at Hannants

Shoggz

7 hours ago, mozart said:

I might do one for John Shipman too Mike since his Dad flew them.

sZQTGQ.jpg

You need the (mid) kit for that one Max:

"Mid production Mk.Ia in the N3### & P9### serial number range (completed between September 1939 and April 1940), saw the introduction of an improved lever-operated “dual position” cockpit door catch, reflector gun sight, tapered aerial post, voltage regulator positioned behind the pilot’s headrest and a constant speed DeHavilland propeller. Selected aircraft received a constant speed Rotol RX5/1 propeller and the temporary installation of the TR.1133 VHF radio, which did not require an external aerial wire. "

Lesson learnt here too!

I have to ask now, from Kagemushas reply to my post, were two bladed prop planes used in Combat?  I just did not know and assumed that by the time fighting began all planes were three blade prop.  

46 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

You need the (mid) kit for that one Max:

"Mid production Mk.Ia in the N3### & P9### serial number range (completed between September 1939 and April 1940), saw the introduction of an improved lever-operated “dual position” cockpit door catch, reflector gun sight, tapered aerial post, voltage regulator positioned behind the pilot’s headrest and a constant speed DeHavilland propeller. Selected aircraft received a constant speed Rotol RX5/1 propeller and the temporary installation of the TR.1133 VHF radio, which did not require an external aerial wire. "

Lesson learnt here too!

Thanks Andy, I hadn't checked out the serial number of EB-L against production type, but I'm not surprised! 

Having picked up the two current Spit boxings from Kotare at the Avon (UK) model show on Sunday, and subsequently spending a few hours pouring over the contents, I'm going to *have* to get this boxing too.  :piliot:

The kits look absolutely brilliant - with superb background research.

So much so the Revell Mk.IIa I 'rebuilt' on these forums when it came out (if anyone remembers it) is heading for the bin I think.

I strongly suspect Edgar Brooks (RIP) would have loved the Kotare Spitfire kits...

Iain

I dug it out of a box earlier Max - it was hidden from sight years ago - with broken undercarriage.

Had a cunning plan to raid a decent prop from the Kotare kits and make good again - but it's really not good enough IMHO.

Hopefully these kits are selling well for Kotare and they can invest in future boxings and other subjects.

But I've always wanted to do a nice, early, Mk.I - so this one ticks a lot of boxes and should be a great build from the box!  :)

Iain

8 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I have to ask now, from Kagemushas reply to my post, were two bladed prop planes used in Combat?  I just did not know and assumed that by the time fighting began all planes were three blade prop.  

This decal sheet represents the first time the Spitfire saw combat, as you can see it was fitted with a three blade prop, armoured windscreen, and bulged canopy.

31 minutes ago, Kagemusha said:

This decal sheet represents the first time the Spitfire saw combat, as you can see it was fitted with a three blade prop, armoured windscreen, and bulged canopy.

I can see the third plane has a three blade prop, It looks to me like the first two options are two blade prop though.  I am I right in that regard and did the Spitfire enter combat in any known case with a two blade prop?  I am asking out of curiosity.  I did see that the bottom option had the features you mention.  I also found notes that the first option was from 1938 so clearly a pre combat plane however the middle one is the one that I question and want some education on.  Although your point as to the third was most helpful as I could see it had the features of a combat plane, I was not certain on its actual history.

Quick question, that will probably not have a quick answer.

On our BoB and later Spitfire models, reasonable weathering is normal/acceptable. But what about on Pre-war 'planes? I would have thought they would be more...prestine? 

Better get a Wingleader book and check the photo's. Regards, Pete in RI

Ordered mine today from Hannants.  It's more expensive for me to order direct from Kotare and both options will involve postage anyway.  I may build two, as I'd love to do Stanford Tuck's 65 Squadron machine FZ-L, but first I'm building a very early flat canopy, Watts prop machine.

3 hours ago, cbk57 said:

I can see the third plane has a three blade prop, It looks to me like the first two options are two blade prop though.  I am I right in that regard and did the Spitfire enter combat in any known case with a two blade prop?  I am asking out of curiosity.  I did see that the bottom option had the features you mention.  I also found notes that the first option was from 1938 so clearly a pre combat plane however the middle one is the one that I question and want some education on.  Although your point as to the third was most helpful as I could see it had the features of a combat plane, I was not certain on its actual history.

Very few Spitfires saw action until late May 1940, over Dunkirk.  It is possible that some may have flown on patrol in late 1939 with the two blade prop, but I suspect highly unlikely.  De Havilland two pitch bracket props were fitted as standard by early 1939 and there was a big effort to convert those that had been built with the Watts two blade prop.  Constant speed props were not fitted until mid 1940, as Hurricane had priority on these to try to boost it's performance first, based on experience in the Battle of France.  No Spitfires had the flat top canopy by then as these were only fitted to the first fifty built and quickly converted once bulged canopies became available.  I'll hit my books and try to be a bit more precise later.

As for weathering, it was a matter of pride in the pre war era that all squadron planes were turned out looking immaculate.  If you have a look at the picture below, reportedly taken in February 1939, only a little scratching is visible around the pilot's door on Tuck's plane, and none discernible on any others.  I'm sure some paint damage was inevitable, but you can be sure that it would have been fixed for parade.  Likewise, there is no soot staining from exhausts or guns, but there does appear to be some paint damage from spilled petrol.  Other than that, it's unlikely to have much weathering.

Spitfire-MkIa-RAF-65Sqn-FZL-Stanford-Tuc

Note also the unarmoured windscreen.  In Tuck's biography, he relates a story of having one fitted to his plane right at the start of the Dunkirk campaign, and telling his CO of how happy he was with the fitment as it saved his life on that next sortie.  Tuck's luck!!

Cheers,

Michael

5 hours ago, europapete said:

Quick question, that will probably not have a quick answer.

On our BoB and later Spitfire models, reasonable weathering is normal/acceptable. But what about on Pre-war 'planes? I would have thought they would be more...prestine? 

Better get a Wingleader book and check the photo's. Regards, Pete in RI

Some pre-war Spitfire weathering. In one case, it hasn't even left the factory yet!

pre-war-spit-weathering.jpg