Pat Sparks BOMARC Build

LSP_Kevin

Thanks for all the input, fellas. Grey launch tower is settled. I need to find some photos that show the additional cabling that needs to be added to the launch tower as well. I'm seeing some variations in the video from the colour scheme presented in the Revell kit instructions, but I'm not going to fuss about that too much. It may look like it's all downhill from here, but there's still much left to be done, and many's the slip twixt cup and lip, as they say.

Kev

6 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks for all the input, fellas. Grey launch tower is settled. I need to find some photos that show the additional cabling that needs to be added to the launch tower as well. I'm seeing some variations in the video from the colour scheme presented in the Revell kit instructions, but I'm not going to fuss about that too much. It may look like it's all downhill from here, but there's still much left to be done, and many's the slip twixt cup and lip, as they say.

Kev

Cabling for an A Model

53112293436_cc8e8b5c67_h.jpg

Edited by amurray
Clarification

So I've found a candidate to use as a base for the BOMARC display, but I need to carve out a recess in the top for the piston to swing into. Any suggestions on how to go about that, given I have no woodworking tools or skills?

ytRAkN.jpg

lsLQ6G.jpg

Kev

25 minutes ago, Landrotten Highlander said:

What kind of recess do you need?  Might be able to give some pointers if I know what you want to achieve.

I got as far as marking out the area where the recess needs to go, when I was contacted by Glen at Custom Bases, offering to provide a bespoke base for the project. So my DIY effort is on hold for now...

Dgh3va.jpg

Kev

23 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Thanks, Art. I do have that photo, but something closer or with more detail would be helpful. As ever, though, I'm always happy to fudge it!

Kev

You likely have this but just in case:

https://secure.boeingimages.com/archive/Bomarc-Missile-Being-Fueled-in-Launch-Shelter--Cape-Canaveral--FL-2F3XC5SA3CH.html

BTW if you really want to freak out the "Experts" do a BOMARC in U.S. Navy markings.  They actually had them (but only a few).  :evil_laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a few weeks away from this one, as I've been struck down by illness and injury until recently. The break turned out to be a good thing, however, as Glen from Custom Bases contacted me and said he could fashion a bespoke base for me to meet my specifications - cut-out and all. The base arrived today, and I did a quick test assembly to check the fit:

ttmlq6.jpg

XFLA2x.jpg

We had to guess at the correct depth for the cut-out, and it turns out we were short by the merest fraction of a mm. Nothing that can't be fixed or compensated for, and a much better result than the DIY solution I had planned!

More soon.

Kev

Some more progress with the BOMARC. I've started work on finishing the base, while the launch tower has now been painted, given some token weathering, and fully assembled.

DkdoCH.jpg

The launch arm piston is functional for now, but for stability reasons, I'll probably fix it in the upright position.

iOMg6y.jpg

It also has a lateral warp that I hadn't noticed before, so hopefully that won't ruin the show:

wtaLmC.jpg

I didn't notice it during my initial pre-assembly test-fitting, so it may have occurred since. I hope not, as this might spell trouble for the completion of the project. I'll do a dry-fit of the missile itself during my next session at the bench, and we'll see what happens...

Kev

Good news! I've just test-fitted the missile into the finished launch tower assembly, and it's all good. Not only does it fit perfectly fine, but you can't tell there's a warp in the vertical arm at all. So now I just have to finish the damn thing!

Kev

3 minutes ago, patricksparks said:

Looking good Kevin, glad you were able to beat the thing into submission !!!!

Pat

Thanks, Pat. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge yet! And I did manage to break off those tiny little detail parts on one of the top support swing arms. :doh:

Kev