New 56th FG book (with decals) by Peter Randall and Nigel Julian

barkhorn

For those who have been waiting for Peter and Nigel's publication on the Boxted era of the 56th FG, it is finally available:
https://ak-interactive.com/product/the-56th-fighter-group-in-world-war-ii-18th-april-1944-to-v-e-day-and-beyond/

Publisher's blurb:
English. 244 pages. Hard cover.

This book covers the 56th Fighter Group during the Second World War for the period between the 18th April 1944, when the fighting element arrived at Boxted, and the 8th May 1945 when the war in Europe ended. There is also short account of post-war events leading to the group’s return to the United States and de-activation.
Authors Nigel Julian and Peter Randall, respectively owners of the web sites www.56thfightergroup.co.uk and www.littlefriends.co.uk, have again joined forces to bring you the very latest in the ongoing research relating to this exceptional unit.
The artwork has been selected and used to correct several profiles previously shown incorrectly in other publications, and present new images of P-47 Thunderbolts that have only very recently been identified. In total, the book includes 100 color and 336 b/w period photos, along with 40 color profiles painted by the top aviation artist, Janusz Swiatlon. Both the Razorback and Bubbletop variants of the P-47D are covered, together with the P-47M.
Each limited copy is supplemented with 2 decal sheets printed by Cartograf which contain individual markings for 13 aircraft, in 1/48 and 1/72 scale.
Aircraft selected as subjects for the decals are those either not previously covered by decal manufacturers, or incorrectly presented where they have been.

aknewsjun03_2023-21lci1.jpg aknewsjun03_2023-372fnv.jpg

KFS review (in Polish, but allows to see more pages and close ups of decals): https://www.kfs-miniatures.com/the-56th-fighter-group-in-world-war-ii-ak-interactive/

I had to get it. My favorite fighter group, favorite ww2 fighter and favorite fighter ace ( R.S. Johnson ).  Although I concur with you Thierry, should have 32nd decals.  Thank you Barkhorn for the info.   Cheers.

Edited by firefly7

i am deeply suspicious of the accuracy of anything AK churns out, but if it is really Randall and Julian's book and just published by AK, then I would have high expectations. 

i wonder how much new material there is though?

but no 1/32 decals...sorry but meh then, even if the book itself looks very cool

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 7:52 AM, nmayhew said:

i am deeply suspicious of the accuracy of anything AK churns out, but if it is really Randall and Julian's book and just published by AK, then I would have high expectations. 

i wonder how much new material there is though?

but no 1/32 decals...sorry but meh then, even if the book itself looks very cool

Hi,

I can assure you myself and Peter wouldn’t allow our names to put to anything we hadn’t researched and written ourselves.

Theres plenty of new material in there, newly “discovered” P-47s as well as the vast majority of photos being previously unpublished.

Yes, 1/32 decals would have been nice but that wasn’t down to us as authors, but the artwork showcased in the book will provide excellent resources for the decal manufacturers.

Hope you enjoy it everyone 

On 8/5/2023 at 2:19 PM, lampie said:

Hi,

I can assure you myself and Peter wouldn’t allow our names to put to anything we hadn’t researched and written ourselves.

Theres plenty of new material in there, newly “discovered” P-47s as well as the vast majority of photos being previously unpublished.

Yes, 1/32 decals would have been nice but that wasn’t down to us as authors, but the artwork showcased in the book will provide excellent resources for the decal manufacturers.

Hope you enjoy it everyone 

This looks like an impressive resource. Regarding the decals, you can pick a subject, scan the decals, enlarge to 1/32, then create masks for painted on markings which look better anyway. Win win!

Cheers,  Tom

I hope this isn’t too much of a hijack. I met a pilot from 56th FG. I did some work in Russell Kyler’s house. When he opened the door, there was a painting of several P-47s taking off. He was wearing a polo shirt with a side profile of a P-47. Of course I asked if he flew them. He said yes, so I chatted him up. He had some fascinating stories…I mean, of course! He told me about getting into a dogfight with an FW-190. It shot off two of his cylinders. I was about to say “If he shot off two of your cylinders, wouldn’t you lose oil pressure?”. He cut me off and said “So I lost all my oil pressure, but I still made it back across the English Channel”. Wow. I’m a plumber and I might visit several houses a day.  I always chat up military pilots.  They have the best stories. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,
I invite you to read a complete review of this wonderful book on my blog written by two authors / historians of reference and offering a large number of photos (black and white and color) accompanied by superb color profiles of P-47D and M .

If you are a modeller passionate about the P-47D Thunderbolt (and the 56th FG) like me, this new limited edition book is essential! :thumbsup:

http://avionsenkits172.blogspot.com/2023/08/zoom-sur-n28-56th-fighter-group-in.html

Good reading

• 3 weeks later...