Airfix 1/72 Mirage 2000 (HAF M2000EG)

Derek B

This kit was started at least five years ago (probably longer). Other than my completed Revell 1/144 scale CH-47D Chinook, which I completed as a HAF/HAA aircraft, this will only be my second HAF subject. The kit is the ancient Airfix 2000 kit, which is based upon the prototype Mirage 2000 aircraft, so requires a fair bit of work to bring it up to modern Mirage 2000C (or, in the case of the HAF, Mirage 2000EG) standards.

The cockpit features scratch built instrumentation and controls. The fuselage required some fairly extensive rework and reshaping in order to correct shape errors and capture the subtle lines of the actual aircraft. I decided that the jet pipe nozzle was incorrect, so am replacing it with a scratch built item (along with the internal jet pipe and exhaust). The ailerons/elevons have been cut away, as these will need to be in a depressed position. Last work I have done on this kit was refining the kit cannon troughs on the underside of the forward fuselage.

I am currently only working on this kit in between my current Trumpeter 1/32 build, so any further progress updates will be very sporadic and far between until the Lightning is completed.   

UR3HvSe.jpg

6QL2GaB.jpg

fYxIFdK.jpg

OOQdZaJ.jpg

jc1D2nj.jpg

CW9v6nV.jpg

t94qTZJ.jpg

93C2Dsi.jpg

TKmK0QW.jpg

CmCKb9F.jpg

8ttalbc.jpg

yQVw7bH.jpg

GZ0MqDV.jpg

MKGFG0P.jpg

l4WV954.jpg

yFLovxQ.jpg

6duHUpY.jpg

ruiz0q0.jpg

FtgXOjg.jpg

do2HmjT.jpg

qXOIWD8.jpg

tXqp0kY.jpg

5vckq0w.jpg

8jE5UIH.jpg

Derek

Edited by Derek B

51 minutes ago, mattlow said:

Nice work Derek

Cutting those rings for the engine must have been a painstaking exercise...!

Matt

Hi Matt,

Forming 16 hoops from lengths of 0.7 mm plastic rod is a time consuming activity - especially trying to the ends glued together! (I used the internal diameter of the tube to assist me in this respect). I still need to produce a perforated internal sleeve at the hot end, which I currently have no idea how to make, and find a way to accurately detail both internal and external faces of the jet pipe exhaust, but I shall cross those particular bridges when I get to them.

Cheers

Derek

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Matt,

Forming 16 hoops from lengths of 0.7 mm plastic rod is a time consuming activity - especially trying to the ends glued together! (I used the internal diameter of the tube to assist me in this respect). I still need to produce a perforated internal sleeve at the hot end, which I currently have no idea how to make, and find a way to accurately detail both internal and external faces of the jet pipe exhaust, but I shall cross those particular bridges when I get to them.

Cheers

Derek

Exactly why we model in 1/32nd, Derek! :P

Nice work, though!

On 6/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, jenshb said:

Some grat modelling going on here.  Didn't know the Karman fairings were so wrong in the kit - would have thought Heller got that right.

Jens

Hi Jens. Am I correct in thinking that you are referring to the wing root fairings? You may have a point there, but this is the Airfix kit, not the Heller one, unless they are the same mouldings? (To be honest, I have never seen or owned any Heller Mirage 2000 kits in any scale, so I do not know how they directly compare?).

Cheers 

Derek 

20 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Jens. Am I correct in thinking that you are referring to the wing root fairings? You may have a point there, but this is the Airfix kit, not the Heller one, unless they are the same mouldings? (To be honest, I have never seen or owned any Heller Mirage 2000 kits in any scale, so I do not know how they directly compare?).

Cheers 

Derek 

Yes, the French call the blended wing/fuselage fairings "Karman fairings".  The Airfix and Heller kit are from the same tools.

Jens

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The pain continues...after burner section in progress (bit of aluminium take away food tray foil work). Apologies for the post being picture heavy, but it describes the coming together of the process better than any words.

rvlEp1v.jpg

faQ9y0S.jpg

zqmtrTa.jpg

uItl1dH.jpg

ApXTqLn.jpg

4OEDNOL.jpg

OBw1QG0.jpg

t7kM63z.jpg

JRd78XD.jpg

u07Lz2c.jpg

zJB4C9N.jpg

JKQZlEU.jpg

DYoc1En.jpg

qCcvGac.jpg

m3Mro8J.jpg

Derek

Hi Derek,

Great build! I am enjoying seeing your detail solutions and admire your capacity to build cool components with some pretty basic materials.

I wonder, seeing your use of Milliput here and elsewhere (e.g. Lightning), have you ever had any issues with it shrinking, especially when its used to form quite substantial structures?

Tony