HK A-20G release

Steve Eagle

2 minutes ago, Dennis7423 said:

I was hoping you would pop up here Eli! Welcome back, and hope you are doing well.

I for one am interested in this sheet, and will be e-mailing you with a few other options that are fairly simple, and very interesting. I love me some Pacific Havocs!

An interesting note about "Sweet Li'l Kitten" that you already have featured. It was named after the pilot's nickname for his girlfriend. The nose art started as an innocent enough looking cat, along with the text. After each mission, they added more to the nose art, and eventually it became the debauchery that is the hoodlum cat smoking a cigar :-p

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your wishes. Yes, it was a known fact on this nose art that I'm leaning towards placing on my kit.

@Eli Raphael just sent you an e-mail with three suggestions for markings:

"Bub's Brother"

Bub's Brother in Flight(1)

"Dunk's Junk"

Dunk's Junk Artwork

"Gladstone Flash"

Gladstone Flash

For those that have been part of the discussion, note that "Gladstone Flash" has the different engine cowlings.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Now, I think some of you would to add other mkgs than the ones offered on the 48th sheet?

1. If so, I would like to know which ones you would not do.

2. In order to save decal sheet space and if we add more profiles, would you rather have codes, numbers and insignias done on masks?

Heya Eli welcome back - so good to see your return!

Regarding A-20 options, I have always liked "Miss Behavin" - there was a set from Pyn-Up decals in 1/48 always thought it looked pretty great

Codes and numbers and insignias I would be fine with masks myself if that is cheaper/easier to produce especially

587a0f6fd584d_312Clipboard12.jpg.aca4030

10 minutes ago, Eli Raphael said:

Now, I think some of you would to add other mkgs than the ones offered on the 48th sheet?

2. In order to save decal sheet space and if we add more profiles, would you rather have codes, numbers and insignias done on masks?

If I were to vote one off the island, I would exclude "Little Brat." Compared to the others, it's fairly basic in my eyes.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

2 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

@Eli Raphael just sent you an e-mail with three suggestions for markings:

"Bub's Brother"

Bub's Brother in Flight(1)

"Dunk's Junk"

Dunk's Junk Artwork

"Gladstone Flash"

Gladstone Flash

For those that have been part of the discussion, note that "Gladstone Flash" has the different engine cowlings.

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Good eye on that , I don't know when exactly they switched over to the late style cowlings , maybe around -30? Now if we could get some talented enterprising person to maybe 3D print up some late model cowling , that would open up things a bit ,just saying. I 'd do it if I knew how and had the equipment but alas[ it's all I can do to run my laptop LOL].

3 hours ago, Eli Raphael said:

I can answer your second question: as much done with masks as possible.

Thanks, and great to see you here again Eli!

Tom

1 hour ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Good eye on that , I don't know when exactly they switched over to the late style cowlings , maybe around -30? Now if we could get some talented enterprising person to maybe 3D print up some late model cowling , that would open up things a bit ,just saying. I 'd do it if I knew how and had the equipment but alas[ it's all I can do to run my laptop LOL].

From earlier in the thread:

In Aircorps Library site, erection and maintenance manual for A-20G/J, section on engine erection, they have a paragraph:

" ENGINE EXHAUST SYSTEM.- In airplanes A-20G-1-D0 to 30-D0 and A-20J-1-D0 to 5-D0, the exhaust outlets for each engine are of the individual ejector type. In airplanes A-20G-35-D0 to 45-D0, A-20J-10-D0, to 20-D0, and A-20H and K-1-D0 to 10-D0, the upper five exhaust outlets discharge into a manifold leading to outlets below the wing. A muff is installed around the manifold to provide preheated air for the carburetor. The nine lower exhaust outlets lead directly out through individual outlets in the antidrag ring."

The antidrag ring is basically the forward half of the cowl.

A little more info:

A TO for the early A-20 seems to give some build numbers for early G's with the early cowl: 42-53535 to 42-53834 inclusive. This TO is for a reinforcement of the early cowl each side of the top (Carburetor?) intake for what looks like every block up to maybe G-15? It lists A-20 A's to G's but no J's so I am assuming it was fixed in production before the later blocks with the early cowls came out.

Hopefully that helps a bit.

I don't know which markings I'll use yet. I wish I knew what squadron my science teacher was with [ he's gone now] All I know is that he flew out of New Guinea and that he had over 100 missions. he finally got knocked out of action with a bad case of Malaria. Wish I had asked more questions. I think he mentioned Hollandia more than a few times.

10 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Might seem like an obvious choice, but could well be very popular.

45235620b033e6e06838354f9bbe1e17.jpg

LT_J.E._Pryor_Green_Hornet_43-9407_675th

ha4206-douglas-a20g-havoc.jpg

Seems to have had "Kay" on the opposite side, source

0642.jpg

Good to see you back in the saddle Eli!

I agree with this one Andy, these markings could certainly tempt me.

10 hours ago, firefly7 said:

It's wonderful to see you are in the game again Eli. The 417th BG had a A20G with a very large shark mouth nose art and a pin up.         Cheers.

3rd BG 90th BS had nicer sharkmouth schemes (combined with Vargas nose arts!). Just look here for the source (this is possibly the best source of A-20 schemes):

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/books/pacificprofilesvol3bookreviewdc_1.htm