FB-23, yep I am at it again

Dandiego

So........... I have been working on the cockpits. Chad supplied a very basic tub and I have been adding details and consoles. Just some sheet plastic in the rear pit. A lot of guesswork really since this baby was never built.

I have added some pennies for some extra weight, just in case.

KBXMFuj.jpg

z2fimyI.jpg

ceF2Txl.jpg

I will be adding some resin seats that are meant for an F-15.

Dan

Fantastic. This scale so rarely does the what if's, prototypes and x-planes. Great to see them come alive. I started down the track of the Skyrocket XF5 but turned around when I could sense I might lose interest in the long run (converted project to my S2 Tracker). Perhaps if I enter a 3D printer-at-home phase like you have, I'll give more attention there. Mmmm. X-3 Stiletto??? 

X-3......hmmmm.

I have thought about an X-3. Smooth simple lines. But that is the rub. You have to really nail the shape, those simple lines have to be right on or it just doesn't look right.

Dan

Time to get the cockpit sorted out so that I can close up the fuselage.

Here are the side panels and rear IP. I am happy with the result. I will make a few improvements. Rear IP definitely needs some more details. This one was to check the fit into the pit.

57OgAHr.jpg?1

And a few pieces in place. Since there never was an FB-23 I have had to guess what it would look like. The front cockpit is based on actual photos of an F-23. The rear pit will be based on an FA-18F. Hopefully a semi-close match as I am guessing that they were conceived in the same basic timeframe and therefore might share basic layout and components.

nKarhnD.jpg?1 

Lots o fun. Stay tuned. Dan

Edited by Dandiego

As I am working on the cockpit I am also adding detail to the forward weapons bay. I have designed some generic panels that will fit between the ribs in Chad's weapons bay.

oW9QWwj.jpg

And a few in place.

u8OVYTX.jpg

And the final rear IP.

I5OgF2V.jpg?1

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Cockpit work continues. Here is where I am now.

Most components have been printed. Both seats have been modified to fit the cockpit tub.

Hy3BG9U.jpg?1

4P3nsqO.jpg

Front IP. This is just a second rear IP cut up and rearranged to fit the smaller front cockpit. Didn't want to design a whole new part. 

XWfPbQ8.jpg

A few more details still to install, but paint is near.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Hey today is paint day.

Got some flat white into the forward weapons bay and front gear bay. Final color will be gloss white.

YUTmr4I.jpg

7sXzcFC.jpg

Some paint on the cockpit IPs.

8uWGnso.jpg?1

And last for today are the jet nozzles. These were a little hard to fit. They did not want to slide into place. So I had to cut a slot into the nozzle, pinch it in a little before it would fit.

2v69L3G.jpg?1

Dan