1/32 F-105D "Hanoï Special"

ROM

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, denders said:

Wow, very nice! :clap2:

I read Old's book not too long ago, it sounded like he avoided or didn't report #5 because he thought the brass would ground him and bring him stateside, which he didn't want to happen.

Thanks!

As for the Old's story, the magazine reports what Norman F.Conant Jr heard from Waldrop himself when they were airliner pilots.

And you are maybe right that Old did not want to have the #5 because it is written that that kill was not awarded to Waldrop at first, but Old acted as garantor for it.

8 hours ago, James Rademaker said:

Excellent built, congratulations. The attention to detail is very impressive. Just a note, in your introduction you stated the mission was in the year 1957. I’m assuming that is a typo. To my knowledge the USAF was not flying missions in the 1950’s. 

Again outstanding build!:clap2:

Oh! Yes I made a mistake. Thanks, corrected now

Wow!!!   That's spectacular, ROM!   It's hard to describe what I like so much about your model but I guess it's the wonderfully believable and subtle 'complexity' you have worked into the finish that impresses me so much.   Beautifully executed.

On 4/16/2023 at 2:59 PM, ROM said:

Hello!

This build from 2019 was inspired while reading the special issue of French magazine “Le Fana de l’Aviation” about the F-105 Thunderchief. A story in particular caught my attention.

While on a bombing mission on the 23rd august of 1967, 1st Lt Dave Walrop shot down a first Mig-17 with his gun, before climbing to avoid debris and get back in formation. While coming back from the clouds flying on his back, Waldrop saw another Mig and shot it down too. When he was debriefing at the base, he got a phone call from… Robin Olds himself. From his F-4, this famous pilot was not happy to have seen a F-105 flying on the back and shooting down the mig he was engaging with his radar. This Mig could have been Olds’s fifth Mig Kill, making him twice an Ace.

The Kit

Trumpeter released this kit back in 2004. The model shows some shape issues as canopy section, nose curvature, mk117 bombs… Details are a bit basics for 1/32nd scale in the cockpit, wheel bays and exhausts.

More great info here:

thanks @thierry laurent :)

Many aftermarket were used:

-          Blackbox cockpit 32014

-          Master pitot tube AM-32-038

-          Quickboost air intake 32068

-          Cutting Edge canopy and spine correction CEC32163 (OOP, hard to find)

-          Aires Wheel bay 2076

-          Fisher Wheels A3219

-          Eduard F-105 interior 32514

-          Eduard F-105 Exterior 32113

-          Eduard F-105  armament 32208

-          GT Resin Fuselage correction set (nose, camera, ventral fin)

-          Videoaviation MK117 bombs 163932

Eduard MER 632102

I will add WIP pics in another post.

Hope you like it!

Romain

Outstanding!

May I post it on the website?

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

This is a real work of art Rom, your attention to detail, airbrushing, weathering, oil paints, all, I mean Im just speechless.  I hope I can do something like this one day.  You should write up a little bit on how you did the weathering and airbrushing.  One of the best models I think I've seen, Bravo!

Dan