1/32 Zeppelin Staaken R.VI

Archimedes

Hi Everyone,

So, after some exchanges on the thread on which 1/32 big bombers are 'missing';  We have 32nd B-17, B-24 and Lancasters (plural!). What's next? B-29?, several emails and calls, @europapete and I have decided to take a look at doing a joint scratch build of not one, but TWO Zeppelin Staaken R.VI s. 

We absolutely recognise the challenges ahead (the overtime alone will be a nightmare...:D) but we think it can be done.

At this stage we are just doing research because it appears no two airframes in the series were identical and so choosing ones that we have the best chance of getting right is crucial. 

We'll be posting here, not only to keep ourselves 'honest' in making the build happen but also in recognition the fact that there are many far more expert than us on such arcane subjects as this and the tools and techniques we might employ.  Right then...we are off to peruse a stack of books on WWI German bomber design...

Kind regards,

Peter & Paul

I started working on a basic cad design for a Linke Hoffmann R-2, which is about the same wingspan as the Staaken R’s in the low 50-inch size range.  Maybe I’ll revisit that one day but I put it on hold as the contours weren’t cooperating.

If I can help with some components or some printing on the Staakens, let me know! It’s a beast I’d love to have on my shelf. 

Have you guys put any thought yet into how to keep the wings from sagging on a span like that?

HI Mike

Thank you for the very kind offer. You never know who may come-a-calling :D. Thank you for not simply casting doubt on our collective sanity! The initial thoughts feature these factors:

In 1/32:

WIngspan        1.318 metres (51 7/8")

Length             0.69 metres   (27 1/4")

Height              0.196 metres (7 3/4")

Engines: Generally 'Die Rieseflugzeugen' used either the Mercedes D.IVa or the Maybach Mb IVa. Happily the Mercedes D.IVa engines were moulded by none other than Wingnut Wings for the AEG G.IV and the Gotha G.IV but nobody is cannibalising those. So that would mean either taking an impression from the WnW Gotha or AEG engines and making a mold from which to do resin replacements (fortunately both Pete and I own both of these kits). 18 of the R.VI were built in total. but right now we don't know which airframe used which engines. Neither of us have chosen a particular airframe at this stage and we may not even do the same one.

It would not only be a huge model airframe but also a huge undertaking with several significant structural problems to solve along the way as you allude to in your post. The 1/32 dimensions show the wings are over 4 feet long but they are also very thin. The real thing featured a twin spar design and that may well be the route we go; either brass round or square section tube or alternatively milled aluminium for the four spars. For the infill; either balsa or boxwood to get the shape right and that covered with plastic sheet. Food for thought...

Thanks once again Mike.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hey Dutik,

Anything with 'Zeppelin' in its name is going to be big but even we are not mad enough to attempt a 1/32 R or P type Zeppelin airship (it would be 9.825 metres or 32' 3 " long and 0.75 metres or 2'6" wide).  I do have decent plans for the control and engine gondolas though.  Maybe in the future at some time I might be tempted to do one of those. This particular scratch-build project will however keep us occupied for some time to come!

Kind regards,

Paul

For the production of the wings I think the best method is to reproduce the original structure to scale, with the frame covered with tissue paper, it would be much less similar for the spars. It was the choice I had made when I started designing the gotha in 1/32 ... then WnW arrived .... damned New Zealanders:lol:.

I'm just kidding of course God bless WnW ,it shook up the ww1 world in 1/32

On 4/3/2023 at 3:41 PM, spartacus2000 said:

.... damned New Zealanders:lol:.

Heyyy, I resemble that! :P 

On 4/3/2023 at 9:43 AM, Archimedes said:

I do have decent plans for the control and engine gondolas though. 

Hey Paul...  Where did you find those plans? Are they ones that can be shared without violating someones' copyright?

12 hours ago, seiran01 said:

Heyyy, I resemble that! :P 

Hey Paul...  Where did you find those plans? Are they ones that can be shared without violating someones' copyright?

They are in ‘Zeppelin!’ Vol’ 01.  I’ll PM you Mike.