Border Models Lancaster - it will be my last LSP build

Stokey Pete

19 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

Inspiration....

Cheers Guy, it’s always good to see this work being done on ‘Jane’. 
I try to get up there a couple of times a year to see the Taxy runs of the Lanc’ and the Mossie. It’s a very evocative and nostalgic place to visit. 

On 4/3/2023 at 1:39 PM, europapete said:

Hi Pete, when cutting off small parts, put the sprue inside a large clear plastic bag and then cut them. Any escapees will be safe. 

I usually save the largest bag the sprues came in for this. 

Thats a better idea than what I currently do, a high sided cardboard box . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve picked this up again for a short while, I’m between group builds. If you believe in luck/good fortune, then go and grab yourself a lottery ticket. I managed to drop two of the trays that had engine parts in. I feared the worst when I saw the carpet monster rear its head. But would you know it…..I retrieved every last part dropped. Including some of those ridiculously tiny parts that make up the superchargers, and the exhausts. 

Just read this from start to finish, most interesting and it contains lots of useful information and there are some really fine modelling skills on show.

Though I will probably not buy one of these kits due to limited space I will follow along and watch in awe as it takes shape.

Cheers

Dennis

Be careful!

Ensure that you add the cockpit floor to the bomb bay, BEFORE you add the forward bomb bay bulkhead to the cockpit floor, or the pieces won't go together properly... 

Also I ended up with a 1/2 to 1 mm gap between the front and rear fuselages, but the bulkheads are in the correct position.

A couple traps that gor me very frustrated, but I'll pick her back up shortly.

Well, it seems my little departure from the instructions sequence worked out nicely. I managed to build the wheel bay separate from the wing, attach the landing gear to the bay, and cement the whole sub-assembly to the upper wing half. 

52907794454_74d4abe2ac_b.jpg

52908035315_b148925e58_b.jpg

I’m now working on getting the two wing sections together. 
Some dry fitting work to see where I have to pay attention…..

52907112087_cd1b9a41d7_b.jpg

I’m aware that the green looks a little vivid thanks to iPhones interpretation of the colour. It’s not that bright in reality.

I’m also certain that I’ve got detail colours wrong too, but I’m working to my own preference of enjoyment over accuracy. A few steps to build gear door areas, and I’ll be onto the finishing of engine #2. 

Good evening. 

Edited by Stokey Pete

I’ve got a bit of filling and sanding to do around the inner engine mount. The parts that make up the nacelle need a little care when fitting. I don’t think I made any mistakes building the wing so I can only assume that the parts are a challenging fit. 
That done, I finished up engine 2, and couldn’t resist a little dry fit of both motors to the completed wing assembly. 

52913983198_5ef2f12c3c_b.jpg

52912948302_f71e8dd0b3_b.jpg

There’s still plenty to do yet. The gaps need dealing with. The main wheel needs some more work before I flat coat the contact patch. I need to add some grease and grime around the flap mechanicals. 

4 minutes ago, Zola25 said:

Awesome progress Pete - those engines look sweet. Brave man to build all 4 ;)

/Niels

Taking breaks in between each one has been my secret to staying sane while I’ve been building them. Only 2 are fully painted so far. Trying to do different things to each one to ensure they look unique. 
Different chipping, exhaust staining, oil leaks, and general grime. Even pipe works being painted in differing variations of a colour. 
I originally wanted to just button the nacelles up with dummy engines, but figured that’s nearly 25% or the kit heading towards the bin/donated out, if I didn’t build them. 

1 hour ago, Stokey Pete said:

Taking breaks in between each one has been my secret to staying sane while I’ve been building them. Only 2 are fully painted so far. Trying to do different things to each one to ensure they look unique. 
Different chipping, exhaust staining, oil leaks, and general grime. Even pipe works being painted in differing variations of a colour. 
I originally wanted to just button the nacelles up with dummy engines, but figured that’s nearly 25% or the kit heading towards the bin/donated out, if I didn’t build them. 

I know what you mean - you feel an obligation to build and paint all these beautiful details.

I went through the same process while doing the forward section. I was pretty sure I would use the Quinta set but after looking at all that wonderful plastic I knew I had to paint it myself. I am really glad I did now.

However, I have decided to only build and paint the inboard engines. Once completed my Lanc´ is going to spend much of its life with the outboard wing-sections removed so it makes sense for me.

/Niels