Airfix 1/24th Spitfire Mk.IX BS104 YO-R - **COMPLETED!**

Shoggz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

Ripping through it now. Good stuff.

Painted by the weekend then? :lol:

If I could have a couple more nights like last night, I'd have it done and on the shelf!

A visit to the mother-in-law beckons at the weekend, so momentum will stall.. :(

After a weekend of inaction, I got back to the bench yesterday - and I'm now in possibly the most frustrating situation for a modeller - a lost part!

I had the two halves of the tailwheel in the paint booth to be sprayed - both in separate 'crocodile clips' - turned round to do something else, turned back and one had disappeared - it had obviously 'pinged off' and the carpet monster is now licking its greedy lips as I just cannot find it anywhere.. Grrrr.

I am somewhat lucky in that I do have another kit in the stash, but if I pinch the tailwheel out of that one then I'm 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' as I'm going to need it sometime - and I intend starting another one straight after this as I'm enjoying it so much!

So, on to wrangle with Airfix's customer service I go...

16 minutes ago, Stokey Pete said:

Could you somehow make a mould, and produce a copy of the remaining half? 

Certainly worth thinking about! Let's see what Airfix's spares team come up with. I do have a bit of time until I get my next kit to this stage.

Spent this evening doing lots of things - none of which on the face of it have moved me closer to the finish line, but cumulatively will make a difference.

52887504654_489ee7bb30_b.jpg

Most of the 'fiddly little bits' are done and I've painted the underside in the requisite grey.

52887337831_fbb3394845_b.jpg

Full on masking and painting will commence in the next session!

Well, I remember a year or two back when Chuck was building his magnificent 1/24 Hellcat and he had some, let's say, 'not fantastic' experiences with Airfix's spares/customer service team. I remember being doubly disappointed that one of my favourite modellers was being mucked about by a company I have a lot of nostalgic fondness for...

So, it was not with a huge amount of confidence that I contacted them about my carpet-monster devoured tailwheel half.

And, what can I say. In 100% contrast to Chuck, they have delivered for me. Within 4 days of e-mailing them, I have just had this through the letter-box.

52901624542_932640f4cf_b.jpg

No, not a new keyboard - both halves of the tailwheel!

No charge, no questions asked (and I didn't obfuscate about the reason I needed the new part), no problem.

Thank you Airfix spares team - and I now don't have to 'rob Peter to pay Paul' by stealing the part from one of the three unopened boxes in the stash!

Impressive.