Sweetwater Jug: Hasegawa's P-47D-40

Madmax

Inspired by a painting in the book The Aviation Art of Keith Ferris, I decided to replicate the very P-47D-40 he had captured so well, glistening in the skies above Texas.

IMG_5680-X2.jpg

Should you feel like seeing how it all came about, here is a link to the build thread: 

The kit itself is a lovely bit of modern Japanese engineering, that captures the lines and essence of the Thunderbolt very well. There is enough room to add ones own level of detailing, and apart from the madness of riveting the entire thing, I was much helped by adding Quickboost's engine and propeller, Master guns and pitot, Eduard Brassin wheels and the incredible Yahu instrument panel. There are some strange difficulties to solve on the kit, and they are detailed in the build. The major effort went into achieving a realistic polished aluminium look, and I discovered some really pleasing aspects about Alclad II paints, that I hadn't experienced before. Montex masks are very handy for general masking and national insignia, but there is nothing quite as useful as a friend with a Silhouette cutter in one's hour of need. Thank you Nick!

Here it is, looking like content in a Pixar animation.

IMG_7942-X2.jpg

And the portraits, some with a black background, some with white - just to highlight different tones in the metal finish...

IMG_7963-X2.jpg

IMG_7751-X2.jpg

IMG_7763-X2.jpg

IMG_7797-X2.jpg

IMG_7769-X2.jpg

IMG_7803-X2.jpg

IMG_7847-X2.jpg

IMG_7843-X2.jpg

IMG_7839-X2.jpg

IMG_7898-X2.jpg

IMG_7867-X2.jpg

IMG_7903-X2.jpg

IMG_7904-X2.jpg

IMG_7914-X2.jpg

Stunning!    Your attention to detail is amazing and the multitude of small but time-consuming refinements you've made have resulted in this being one of the nicest P-47's I've seen in this scale.   Bravo for choosing such a basic scheme, too, because your efforts to enhance the airframe finish would probably have been somewhat lost on a more colourful, painted airframe.  Outstanding work.

Cheers,

Wayne

On 2/19/2023 at 3:31 PM, Grissom said:

Stunning!    Your attention to detail is amazing and the multitude of small but time-consuming refinements you've made have resulted in this being one of the nicest P-47's I've seen in this scale.   Bravo for choosing such a basic scheme, too, because your efforts to enhance the airframe finish would probably have been somewhat lost on a more colourful, painted airframe.  Outstanding work.

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne. I was tempted, like many others I assume, by many an example of nose art and colourful trim. What's not to like about 'Miss Fire', 'Jeanie' or 'Chautauqua' after all? Actually, now that I've concentrated on all the technical aspects, maybe it's time to celebrate some other artwork...:rolleyes: Thanks for the compliment!

On 2/19/2023 at 4:25 PM, Michael931080 said:

Gorgeous!  A very well represented JUG!

Thank you Michael.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, denders said:

Looking excellent!

Very kind of you denders.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:16 PM, Rod Bettencourt said:

Gee Whiz that is Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Thanks for checking it out Rod.

On 2/19/2023 at 8:33 PM, Marcleon said:

A lovely piece of work... simply amazing details, and the metallic finishes... Wow! Regards, Marc

Nice to have support from the home crowd - thanks Marc.

On 2/19/2023 at 10:09 PM, Cheetah11 said:

Wow Sean, another fantastic build. Well done. Great work on the research and the metallic finish.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Couldn't have completed it without your help Nick!

22 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Yeah , shiny   :goodjob:

Shiny is good! Thanks Mike :popcorn:

19 hours ago, reconspit said:

Absolutely beautiful :wub:

Vielen dank reconspit, I'm pleased you like this one.

19 hours ago, alain11 said:

hi

in French , we say : " c'est la classe " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! otherwise say ........WOW !!!!!!!!!

Alain 

Merci beaucoup Alain! Always great to have a master take a look...

16 hours ago, Sasha As said:

Very impressive work!!! Great looking model!!!

Sasha, it is particularly good to see you commenting on the forum. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Madmax said:

Hi Wayne. I was tempted, like many others I assume, by many an example of nose art and colourful trim. What's not to like about 'Miss Fire', 'Jeanie' or 'Chautauqua' after all? Actually, now that I've concentrated on all the technical aspects, maybe it's time to celebrate some other artwork...:rolleyes: Thanks for the compliment!

Thank you Michael.

Very kind of you denders.

Thanks for checking it out Rod.

Nice to have support from the home crowd - thanks Marc.

Couldn't have completed it without your help Nick!

Shiny is good! Thanks Mike :popcorn:

Vielen dank reconspit, I'm pleased you like this one.

Merci beaucoup Alain! Always great to have a master take a look...

Sasha, it is particularly good to see you commenting on the forum. Thank you!

Hi Madmax,

Firstly, and regarding my compliments, you're welcome - you deserve compliments.   We modellers are usually drawn to the more colourful, interesting aircraft paint schemes and this can be, to some extent, a limiting factor in how we model our subjects.   This model of yours challenges the norm as you've used a simple scheme to showcase your modelling skills.   I made my comments about your build because I am 75% the way through a build of the the same kit.  It has a nice shape and pretty good fit but it has a few vices - nearly all of which you've addressed.   I am building Lt Frank Oiler's 'Eileen' because it is colourful (and painted) and I don't possess the obvious skills you have in exploiting  an airframe's finish.  

Cheers, Wayne