PZL P.11c White 2

scvrobeson

With the new year dawning, it's time for a new project to start 2023.  Ever since the IBG PZL came out, I've been wanting to build it, so grabbed it and as much detail/aftermarket stuff as I could. Alongside the Kagero reference book, I'm hoping to pull this one off the way I see it in my mind's eye.

For those who have not seen the PZL kit in the flesh yet, it really is a beautifully designed and molded kit.  The real P.11 is a mess of differing surface details, and corrugated wings, creating a massive headache for whichever company is taking it on. Luckily, IBG took a master's touch to the design, and it has everything you could want.  The corrugations are incredibly fine, and the raised rivets and strengthening straps make the surface come to life.  All that's left will be trying to bring the best out of it.

20230211_193559-X2.jpg

20230211_193611-X2.jpg

20230211_192906-XL.jpg

20230211_192912-XL.jpg

So far, I've gotten to work on the basic interior bits.  Sprayed the metallic surfaces with Alclad Aluminium, along with select parts in Duraluminum and Gunze SM201 Super Fine Silver.  Things were then hit with a wash of Ammo Wash for German Dark Yellow. I've started touching in some of the smaller details, but most of them are on the incredibly comprehensive photo-etch fret.

20230211_192856-X2.jpg

20230211_192934-600x563.jpg

20230211_193025-367x450.jpg

20230211_193013-600x597.jpg

The two gauge decals came from an Airscale sheet, since they're missing in the kit.

The first aftermarket piece I've started working on is the headrest. You can see the kit piece above, and it's not bad, but the resin part blows it out of the water completely. It was sprayed with a basecoat of Gunze 47 Red Brown, then everything else was done with Vallejo acrylics, working very slowly over multiple thin layers. Used about every variation of brown I had in the collection, and I think it came out well.

20230209_183033-X2.jpg

20230209_183022-X2.jpg

20230209_183012-X2.jpg

Last up is the assortment of upcoming aftermarket bits, a selection from Bitskrieg, Master Model, Yahu, and Techmod decals to do White 2, which is the P.11 that can be currently seen in the Polish Air Museum.

20230211_193230-X2.jpg

20230211_193457-X2.jpg

I hope that everyone enjoys the build, and that everything goes smoothly on this one.  Let me know what you all think so far.

Matt 

looking forward to this - the kit is on my to buy/build list and the surface details look amazing. Nice to also see pictures of the real plane - nice and glossy (as are most real aircraft and photos of aircraft I've seen, yet somehow most models are depicted as deep flat, I must be missing something). That collector ring up front will be fun to replicate, to my eyes it looks like traces of the brown paint are on both the ring and some of the individual pipes into the engine so assume it was all painted brown in the beginning ?? Any idea what the green circular bit is under the fuselarge - that's shown as brown on the decal sheet ?

Can't wait to see the build progress.

neil

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’ve been hankering after that kit ever since it came out.  I should just order one.  Are there any pilots who made ace in the type?  I would do it for the upcoming GB if so…

Answering my own question, according to Wikipedia, Wladislaw Glys scored several aerial victories in the PZL P.11c and went on to make ace, flying with the Armee de l’Aire and then the RAF over the course of ww2.  Sounds like a PZL ace to me!

3 hours ago, npb748r said:

Any idea what the green circular bit is under the fuselarge - that's shown as brown on the decal sheet ?

That's the fuel tank.  Not sure why it's in a different color in the museum example, it seems to match the underside shade in every photo I've got of them in service.

Matt 

5 hours ago, npb748r said:

nice and glossy (as are most real aircraft and photos of aircraft I've seen, yet somehow most models are depicted as deep flat, I must be missing something).

A lot of the time, it's either because a glossy surface on a model airplane will make it look a bit toy-like, or it's because we're used to seeing museum aircraft, which aren't subject to the same sun and elements like a plane in service would be. If you look at planes that are in outdoor museums, most will go dead-flat relatively quickly.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the collector ring weathering. Should be a fun challenge to properly replicate.

Matt