PCM Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario

dennismcc

• 1 month later...

Well true to form I got it wrong, before airbrushing the undersides I should have painted the area where the fuselage white band is going to be and the rudder in preparation for masking off the cross.

So I will have to paint the white, then mask it off and touch up the undersides. This is the problem with a start/stop type build.

I did not know what the width of the white fuselage band was so a quick ask on the Stormo website revealed the following  "The width of the white fuselage band was 600mm or 18.5mm (1.85 cm) in 1/32 and 12.5mm (1.25cm) in 1/48".

So I can now mask it off, it's nice to to know, I could have fudged it but I don't do that for RAF Sky bands so I did not feel that I should do it for the Re 2005.

Here is what I am up to at the moment, and reaching for the Tamiya tape.

In the photo the rudder does not look like the white has covered but it has and looks fine

RxJXXQ.jpg

b02ZKf.jpg

w8kwpj.jpg

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc
Double post of a photo

When I measured out the fuselage band I found that the white section was too narrow so had to make it wider.

Once this had dried it was time to mask off the fuselage band, I had this cunning plan, I would first of all very carefully apply some masking tape around the fuselage and then cut some Tamiya tape strips 18.5 mm long and use them to get the correct width for the band.

This is the technique I use on RAF Sky bands so away I went first up the 18.5 mm strips.

spacer.png

Then I applied the first band and spacer.

spacer.png

It then got a bit tricky as the Re is a bit curvy, so back to the drawing board, then a thought struck me, I was using 6mm Tamiya tape so what if I just used three widths of tape to mask off the band.

This was the result, OK it's 0.5 mm too narrow but that will do for me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then it was out with the airbrush and repainted the fuselage undersides with Grigio Azzuro Chiaro 1, and back on the shelf to dry.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more glacial progress, just had cortisone injections in my hands, both thumb joints are shot and the middle fingers on my left hand were suffering from trigger finger, this has caused some improvement so I can get on with this and other stuff.

I was all set to mask off the undersides when I realised looking at photos that the demarcation between the bottom colour and the top was softish, so back to basics, so I broke out the paper and Blu Tac. Haven't done this for years, I have got lazy using masks but the Blu Tac method gives a better finish I believe, it's just fiddley.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And all dressed up.

spacer.png

Just the tail cross to mask off, measured the kit decal and handily the cross is 6mm wide, so out with the 6mm Tamiya tape, that was handy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next the fun bit.

Cheers

Dennis

23 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Nice progress, Dennis! Sorry to hear about your hands. Hopefully you will see some improvement.

Kev

21 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Looking good Dennis.  I'll be looking forward to seeing some topside color applied.  Hoping you get some relief on those thumbs too!  :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Looks good.  I like your masking technique.

Hope the fingers and thumbs improve. 

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you guys, the hands are an improvement but I think in the end it will be surgery but at least I can work on stuff now.

Cheers

Dennis

Yeah there's nothing like cortisone shots in your hands eh Dennis ? I've had dupitrane's in both hands too.

The cortisone lasts about 6 months. You might get away with one but I had 2 in my left hand and surgery

on my right. They cut a little V shaped incision and .... anyway, it'll all work out eventually. Good to see you

back on the bench. Good luck with those soft edges  :thumbsup:   :popcorn:

• 4 weeks later...

Sadley my beloved big brother died a couple of weeks ago so family matters have been a bit of a priority.

But at last the Re2005 has a coat of paint on it, not one of the more usual sexy Italian schemes but plain green, well Verde Oliva Scuro 2.

For this I used Xtracolor X109 – Marine Corps Green FS34052, which is a good match for Verde Oliva Scuro 2 according to the Stormo Colour Reference chart.

I will fade it slightly but not too much as these aircraft were new and did not get the chance to get too weathered.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis