In With a Hasegawa Ki-61 I

Greif8

2 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

You’re flying through this one, and it’s looking pretty darned good to me. At the rate you’re going, it’ll be RFI before the end of year. 

Thank you Pete!  There are a couple of things that did not turn out as well as I would have liked on this build, but from a distance of 2 feet you can't see those.  Still I am somewhat vexed with my performance.

Ernest.

Did some weathering and very minor scratch building the past couple of days.  I have decided that I will only lightly weather the aircraft, an oxymoron with Japanese planes I know!  

I made two brake lines out of .40mm copper wire and formed it to shape.  I drilled two .45mm holes in each landing gear leg to insert the ends of the 

copper wire into.  The below two photos show the "brake lines" test fit in place prior to painting.  The wheel is only test fit as well.

IMG_4940 IMG_4939

After a bit more shaping I brushed the brake lines with some Tamiya metal primer and painted them semi-gloss black.  After drying the lines were glued into

place and I painted the area where the ends entered their holes stainless steel.  I also made a couple of retaining straps by cutting some wine bottle foil to size

and super gluing it in place.

IMG_4941 IMG_4942

I did a very subtle pin wash of the panel lines, began weathering the non-metal areas and did a bit of exhaust staining.  I'll very likely do some more exhaust

staining as what I've done so far looks pretty light.  As you can see I also took the masking off the canopy.

IMG_4943 IMG_4945

The macro makes the brown wash look pretty vivid, but at a distance of a foot or so it is much more subtle.

IMG_4947 IMG_4949

Still some weathering work to do, and fitting the landing gear and bits and bobs, but I am coming to the final stretch with this build.

Ernest 

Geez, Ernest!  You're smashing it!  And it looks great!  The LG look super nice.  If you feel you need to 'oxidize' your aluminum finish, a good way to do it is with alternating gloss and matte coats.  But don't take my word for it without trying it on a paint mule.  I use it to 'oxidize' models I have covered with aluminum foil.

2 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Geez, Ernest!  You're smashing it!  And it looks great!  The LG look super nice.  If you feel you need to 'oxidize' your aluminum finish, a good way to do it is with alternating gloss and matte coats.  But don't take my word for it without trying it on a paint mule.  I use it to 'oxidize' models I have covered with aluminum foil.

5 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Very nice, Ernest!

Kev

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Spectacular work Ernest! I wish you a wonderful holiday!

Cheers,  Tom

9 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ernest!

Cheers,

Damian

Thank you both for the kind words and holiday wishes which I return to each of you!  Gary, thank you for the advice on oxidizing the paint.  I will surely try that on the next build that had a NMF.  As this is the first time I have tried to do one, and have had some issues; and also because I rather like the neat shiny look, ahistorical as that might be, I plan to leave well enough alone on this build.  Thank you again though!

Ernest

Lovely work! I've enjoyed following this build.

I've been fortunate to see three unrestored Tonys but unfortunately am not allowed to share photos - I suppose 60+yr of weathering wouldn't be terribly helpful for in-service modellers anyway :D

8 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Lovely work! I've enjoyed following this build.

I've been fortunate to see three unrestored Tonys but unfortunately am not allowed to share photos - I suppose 60+yr of weathering wouldn't be terribly helpful for in-service modellers anyway :D

8 hours ago, Jim Barry said:

Knocking it out of the park here! Merry Christmas! It’s been great to see you here, read your sage finishing advice and to know you have a fire for biking! 

Thank you both for the kind words.  I wish you and your loved ones a very merry christmas!

Ernest